April 16, 2024, 03:54:56 AM

Author Topic: Kyla Grogan  (Read 62766 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Kyla Grogan
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
I'm not sure how long she's been with TWC officially, but this one probably went unnoticed on here since she does online forecasts and (for now), online forecasts only. I know that I remember seeing her back in April or May doing the forecasts for Tampa. Here's the information on her Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WeatherKyla/info

And here's a video of her:
tampa1
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Kyla Grogan
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 01:49:28 PM »
Kayla was on with Alex 4am-5:30am and did the 7 Day Forecast.
I thought only Meteorologists did forecast segments on TWC, at least on TV or has that changed?
Before Julie Martin was a Meteorologist she only did field reporting and non forecast segments in the studio.
Unless I'm wrong, Kyla Grogan is not a true Meteorologist so I find it odd she is doing forecast segments on TV.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:26:58 PM by IceManNYR »

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »
Unless I'm wrong, Kyla Grogan is not a true Meteorologist so I find it odd she is doing forecast segments on TV.
TWC HAS had anchors do the forecast who don't have certificates in meteorology before. :yes: Examples include Marshall Seese, Dave Schwartz, Kristin Dodd, and Jeanetta Jones (the first three which eventually received their certificates during their last few years at TWC).

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
TWC HAS had anchors do the forecast who don't have certificates in meteorology before. :yes: Examples include Marshall Seese, Dave Schwartz, Kristin Dodd, and Jeanetta Jones (the first three which eventually received their certificates during their last few years at TWC).
Let's not forget Julie Martin.  :thumbsup:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »
Apparently she's done work for The Onion in the past :rofl2:

Though back then, if they had to get Julie Martin on, it was a sign that they were extremely shorthanded. Though today she is an actual meteorologist. :yes:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:05:14 PM by Zach »
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »
Ok so her not being a meteorologist is not a big deal.
It is funny though her last job was playing a news anchor for The Onion News Network.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 11:07:22 PM »
I don't mind her on air, she seems very professional. However, am I the only one who gets a little mad on the inside when someone just switches to a TV Network and 'acts' meteorologist when they've never done it in their life or have a degree? Or if they just switch to a news anchor job if offered it from being a meteorologist? To me people like that seem to carry an a sign that says 'I'm fake' and are willing to jump ship and abandon weather at anytime. It's just a bit depressing and angry that they can do that. I guess I'm the only one, though.  <_<

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:23:26 PM »
I personally don't like to see people doing jobs they aren't qualified for either. :no: Then again it doesn't matter as long as you look good and have a good personality in front of a camera, they wouldn't give a flying flip if you were certified for your job or not. I agree though, she acts like she may know a thing or two and maybe she does and we don't know it. :dunno:

This makes me think of our godawful CBS affiliate WGCL-TV, out of like 5 mets, only one is technically certified (no, it's not the Chief, she's just eye candy just like the last Chief who also didn't have a degree)No wonder this station is laughable. I wish they had of made that 1 certified met the chief, I've read his blog a few times on their site and he KNOWS his stuff. :yes:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 02:35:28 AM »
Where do these names come from (their parents, I know, but really!)  :dunno:

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »
Kyla is a pretty common name now-a-days, if you ask me. You should hear some of the weird names at my school. There's a 6th grader named Jagr (yes, I spelled it right) :blink:

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »
^Eh, I've heard weirder names BELIEVE ME. Names that make me wanna smh and say lol wut?

Like one of my niece's friend who lives in the same townhouse complex as she does. Her name is Jumanjinay I probably didn't even spell it right, you pronounce it like the movie Jumanji and add the sound nay to it.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 10:41:59 AM »
Lol, sounds really ghetto.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »
Yes well aware, and there were many more too... I was just providing some examples.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »
I don't mind her on air, she seems very professional. However, am I the only one who gets a little mad on the inside when someone just switches to a TV Network and 'acts' meteorologist when they've never done it in their life or have a degree? Or if they just switch to a news anchor job if offered it from being a meteorologist? To me people like that seem to carry an a sign that says 'I'm fake' and are willing to jump ship and abandon weather at anytime. It's just a bit depressing and angry that they can do that. I guess I'm the only one, though.  <_<

Yes, it does drive me nuts.  Here I am working my butt off to get my meteorology degree so I can have a job as a METEOROLOGIST (which is one of the reasons I cannot stand Al Roker), and all she has to do is have TV experience (well, we can make assumptions as to why she has the job).  She doesn't seem too bad, though.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
Kayla appears to be a regular on First Outlook. She was on with Alex Wednesday and Thursday.
She's not doing the whole week though.
They should just make it M-F instead of half of the week.