March 28, 2024, 03:11:55 PM

Author Topic: 2012 Layoffs  (Read 62597 times)

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: 2012 Layoffs
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2012, 02:24:04 AM »
Wow, that sucks for those affected. I, too, am still seeing Heather as of this afternoon so she'll probably be working until the end of the month. Didn't Jeff also report live in Birmingham when the tornado was very close but just missed the downtown core back in last April? That report was quite noteworthy, it was all over YT and several news stations. I wish the best of luck to those 3
Their salaries could also be a playing factor in this decision as well... You have to keep this in mind.

weathergirl1987

« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2012, 02:31:46 AM »
I recall when Heather was taken off of working on air Monday thru Friday. She waited until the very end to post something about it on her Facebook page. I remember, she said something about having Monday & Tuesday off. Working behind the scenes Wednesday thru Friday. And back live on air Sat/Sunday. I do hope she stays.

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2012, 03:06:59 AM »
The really mean thing about all of this is that the current format has been around for a while.  These layoffs mean there is now no intention to have more live weather (no additional live time).  Shouldn't they have thought about this a while back?  They could have saved money then.  It would be nice to have a job, yes, but the expectation of getting any on-air time for these veterans was led to false hope.

....and to think I wanted to be a meterologist :(.  That area really is cut-throat.  I am glad I am just a software engineer with a degree in Computer Science.  :hmm:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2012, 11:11:52 AM »
....and to think I wanted to be a meterologist :(.  That area really is cut-throat.  I am glad I am just a software engineer with a degree in Computer Science.  :hmm:
If you had pursued Meteorology, you would have found out that broadcasting is the most volatile position in the field.  It's why I'm in the NWS and not on TWC.  Layoffs are extremely common in broadcasting, and it will continue to be that way.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »
If you had pursued Meteorology, you would have found out that broadcasting is the most volatile position in the field.  It's why I'm in the NWS and not on TWC.  Layoffs are extremely common in broadcasting, and it will continue to be that way.
Well said, Patrick.

You should not let the things you are reading hear about a large network bring you down.  Follow your dream.  Do what you want to do.  As Patrick said, it is very volatile.  I can't even describe the amount of changes that occurred within not only the weather department, but every department at the television station I worked at for a year and a half.  It scares me, but it's something I love to do, so I am willing to put myself out there and give it a shot.

As Patrick mentioned, there are definitely other opportunities in meteorology beside broadcasting.  I've been thinking a lot about the private sector if the whole broadcast thing doesn't work out.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2012, 02:07:44 PM »
Wow, that sucks for those affected. I, too, am still seeing Heather as of this afternoon so she'll probably be working until the end of the month. Didn't Jeff also report live in Birmingham when the tornado was very close but just missed the downtown core back in last April? That report was quite noteworthy, it was all over YT and several news stations. I wish the best of luck to those 3
Their salaries could also be a playing factor in this decision as well... You have to keep this in mind.
Yeah. NBC may be responsible but it wouldn't make sense to point all fingers towards them. They've earned pretty high salaries (I don't think I should guess the amount) which to NBC wouldn't be feasible if they didn't have the money. They were also in the middle of restructuring.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:09:55 PM by Localonthe8s »

Offline skaloveexx33

• View Profile
    • n/a
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »
Wow. This is my first time on in a while and it's been interesting to read these threads. I had heard about the layoffs but hadn't gotten to really read about them in-depth. I am sorry to see Jeff Morrow and Adam Berg go,I enjoyed watching both of them. Hearing of Jeff's leaving took me back to my 8th grade year when I used to get up every morning and watch him and Jen on First Outlook. I feel like that was just yesterday although it was three and a half years ago. Best of luck to both Adam and Jeff on their future endeavors. Has anyone heard anything new about Heather's possible leaving? I hope she doesn't,she was one of the best IMO. Although I haven't had time to keep up with watching TWC lately,I'm still sad to see OCMs go. Decent ones at that.
MD/VA

weathergirl1987

« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »
What will happen if there is a severe storm, that requires 24/7 live OCM coverage? Has NBC thought of that? If they get rid of 99% of the OCM's. You can't have just one person, on the air all those hours during severe storm coverage. I know there are those folks on air & behind the scenes who have been there a long time, probably make good money. And I'm very familar with how corporate wants to save money by hiring younger talent with little experience. But corporate should realize, if they truly want to put on the air credible programming.There are times when you must spend money to make money. And if it means working with OCM's like Heather, Vivian,Kelly,Kim, Danielle. Then that is what they should do.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »
Heather is one of my favorite OCMs, but when I've watched her lately, she seems to stutter and be a little less "energetic" than she used to be.  Maybe she is reaching her final days on the station and doesn't really "care" anymore (though I highly doubt that), but if her position is currently safe, then I hope TWC doesn't frown too much on her actions.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »
Yes, the rumors are true.

From Heather Tesch's facebook:

"By the way, for all of my amazing and supportive fans, this will be my final few days at The Weather Channel as TWC makes some programming changes. It has been a fabulous ride for 14 years. I appreciate your loyalty so much!!"

So I guess her contract ends on the last day of October as rumored.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:48:38 PM by Adrian »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »
I wonder what those programming changes are?

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
I wonder what those programming changes are?
Probably because TWC is relaunching and revamping it's morning programs.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »
Warren Madden is on today 3pm-7pm so he is still subbing at TWC.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2012, 04:26:32 PM »
Heather Tesch has a new Facebook Fan Page she created for herself, as her TWC one will be deleted soon.
http://www.facebook.com/HeatherTesch.TV