April 19, 2024, 11:23:22 PM

Author Topic: New OCM - Eric Fisher (?)  (Read 12438 times)

Offline jaz824

• View Profile
Re: New OCM - Eric Fisher (?)
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 11:46:55 PM »
This news is actually very exciting for me.  Eric Fisher was originally from my small home town of Southwick, Massachusetts, which has less than 10,000 people.  He worked at ABC40 in Springfield for about three or four years.  It's pretty cool to see a local person you watch on TV every morning move to national television network.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 12:15:16 AM »
TWC (or NBC) is hiring too many new OCMs now, though. With the shortness of time before another new one is hired, it almost seems like this is all a joke. Pretty soon TWC might not have any "experienced" OCMs at all (with the exception of Jim and maybe Stephanie). :wacko:
These were apparently planned long ago. Sometime since the beginning of the year from what I heard.
I wonder where they get all the money to hire and pay these new OCMs. :rolleyes:
A little company called GE with a revenue of 157 billion ;)
Is this definetely all of NBC's doing? :unsure: If so, I think that's ridiculous that they can "invade" TWC like this (even though they own the station). But since we all like to blame NBC for things they *may* not be responsible for, I just thought I'd ask.
Not sure. Still not sure why Bill was layed off. Ill keep you updated. I mean TWC is their possession now. They can do anything they want :/

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 12:19:57 AM »
I thought GE had nothing to do with what NBC does to TWC. :unsure:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 12:21:54 AM »
I thought GE had nothing to do with what NBC does to TWC. :unsure:
Well my point was its not like the company is broke. They can certainly afford to hire more OCMs. Honestly I believe they cut off too many people and that came back to bite them in the rear.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 02:53:56 AM »
For what TWC is doing, I see this more of "firing" the old OCMs as opposed to "laying off." To me, NBC is discriminating the old OCMs because they are "too old" for their tastes. That, my friend, is discrimination. I would file a lawsuit if they were to do that to me.
unfortunately, that cannot be proved to be the case. It is more feasable that they are laying off the more higher tenured employees as a cost cutting measure. That, my friends, is perfectly legal. Eboni Deon and Kristina Abernathy are not "old" as you're putting it out to be the reason for the layoffs, thus your point is not 100% accurate.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »
Can't they rehire the longtime/higher tenured OCMs if NBC realized they're firing or laying too many OCMs?

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 10:36:54 AM »
Can't they rehire the longtime/higher tenured OCMs if NBC realized they're firing or laying too many OCMs?
Most probably wouldn't take their jobs back, and even if they did, they would rehire them at LOWER pay rates, which, again, is perfectly legal.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 10:51:24 AM »
In this situation, I think TWC should be hiring freelance OCMs instead of clogging up with regulars. With the exception of Todd Santos, all the other ones they hired last and this year are good presenters and are fairly young. :thumbsup:

I'm sure the veterans want to work on there longer, but it will be a matter of time, unfortunately, before they have to retire and that NBC cannot handle to pay them anymore. However, Jim Cantore, is without a doubt, an exclusion because he's pretty much the only way to attract TWC viewers IMO. :P
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »
Most probably wouldn't take their jobs back, and even if they did, they would rehire them at LOWER pay rates, which, again, is perfectly legal.
Exactly, they may be paid lower but surely everyone wants their longtime OCMs back wouldn't they? Even the average viewer may notice the layoffs as an example would be my mom who would question me about Cheryl Lemke's and Eboni Deon's wherabouts. She was disappointed to find that they were laid off after I told her the news. NBC can at least do ONE wise thing by rehiring one of the laid off OCMs back.

BTW, didn't another OCM quit TWC? I believe Sharon Resultan wanted to quit her job on TWC but this was awhile back.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
Let's get this out of our heads right now... do NOT get your hopes up of TWC re-hiring a previous OCM who was either fired or left.  :no:  Even if they are re-hired, I do not think they would except the position back, unless they are unable to find another job.  I wish all of the OCM's the best of luck finding a new job after being let go from TWC.

I think we will get used to having these OCM's on our televisions.  As Zach stated, most of the people they've hired in recent history are pretty good OCM's, so I've got to give NBC/TWC (whoever hires) that. 

Localonthe8s had asked the question of how they are affording this.  As a couple people mentioned, the layoffs are an obvious reason, which means they can hire someone for A LOT less money than the previous OCM such as Keneely. It's sad, but true.

Offline Al

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • SD Channel #: 02
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22975
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »
Exactly, they may be paid lower but surely everyone wants their longtime OCMs back wouldn't they? Even the average viewer may notice the layoffs as an example would be my mom who would question me about Cheryl Lemke's and Eboni Deon's wherabouts. She was disappointed to find that they were laid off after I told her the news. NBC can at least do ONE wise thing by rehiring one of the laid off OCMs back.

BTW, didn't another OCM quit TWC? I believe Sharon Resultan wanted to quit her job on TWC but this was awhile back.

Sharon Resultan chose not to renew her contract, so ideally...yes she did quit. she wanted to be a full-time mom.

as for a recent OCM quit, Sharon was the latest as far as I know.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 09:21:32 PM »
Knowing how dumb the executives are there, probably not. <_<