April 19, 2024, 11:13:45 PM

Author Topic: Betty Davis - Departure  (Read 38221 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Betty Davis - Departure
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
We need to complain to twc about this. This is getting ridiculous with the number of ocms being laid off now, seeing they still have ample $ in their budget to hire new ones.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 06:10:25 PM »
Well, I didn't like Betty, to be honest. But I never thought she would leave so soon. :(

This got me thinking: since Betty received a proper goodbye today (they gave her cake and everything believe it or not), don't you think it's a bit unfair to the other OCMs who were laid off? They were thrown out like trash!  :no:
Here is how I see it.  Maybe she had the option of saying good bye.  Assuming from what Martin said, she probably knew ahead of time that her contract with the network was not going to be renewed.  Maybe she decided to make the "best of it" (using those words loosley), and said good bye. Maybe she, as well as the others were given the chance.  As for Bill Keneely and the others, maybe they were too upset to give a goodbye, or TWC just said no.  I hope you all are grasping on what I am saying.

As for her leaving, I really did like watching her :yes: .  In fact, I was watching her this morning, and she was acting really obnoxious, which is why I found this news even more shocking.  I wish her the best of luck finding another job in meteorology, if she chooses to do so.  I will miss watching her.

We need to complain to twc about this. This is getting ridiculous with the number of ocms being laid off now, seeing they still have ample $ in their budget to hire new ones.
Complaining to TWC will do NOTHING!  Nobody will come back.  It is what it is!

You don't know TWC's financial situation, so I don't see how you can say they have ample amount of money in their budgets to hire new ones.  How many times must I say THIS IS A BUSINESS!  IT IS, IS, IS ABOUT THE MONEY!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:20:35 PM by wxmediafan »

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »
This is upsetting. I liked Betty :(, I think there are still more layoffs to come.

we still need confirmation about Warran Madden and Ryan Goswick...this is getting ridiculous, I mean you can't seriously expect these new OCMS to get paid the same amount in the next few years. They're all gonna expect a raise around the same time they were hired (futurely speaking) They're hiring too many in a small amount of time.

I highly doubt they're both coming back. Since they are both freelancers, they won't get called in ...and they won't be in the next few weeks or months since all this is happening.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »
Geez Kyle, calm down. I was only offering a suggestion.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 09:25:35 PM »
Geez Kyle, calm down. I was only offering a suggestion.
Right, a suggestion that has been offered countless times around this board that will not work, and I  along with a few others have tried telling you guys it is all about the money.  I am just trying to be real about the situation.  What you are offering is likely to not work, however it would be great if it did. 

phw115wvwx

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 03:55:21 AM »
TWC is a business that will do what it wants no matter what we say.  You don't realize how seriously cut-throat broadcast meteorology can be.  It has the worst job security in the field, because it's all driven by ratings and money.  Yes, it's disheartening to us fans, but there's nothing we can do about it.  Every business is like that these days, especially in this current economy where money is so tight.  I hope Betty can find a new job soon. 

Now, can we all please stop arguing about this issue?  I'm getting sick of seeing these debates coming up again and again with every layoff.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 04:07:43 AM »
Then go ahead and complain about it. Not only is about money but TWC/NBC wants their own people in there. Some people can't except the fact that things don't stay the same Patrick. They will have to get over it. Kyle is absolutely right.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 04:27:45 AM »
Then go ahead and complain about it. Not only is about money but TWC/NBC wants their own people in there. Some people can't except the fact that things don't stay the same Patrick. They will have to get over it. Kyle is absolutely right.
I'm afraid you're right, Martin.  Change is inevitable in life, and it's something everyone has to cope with eventually.  I just want all the arguing to stop with every layoff on all sides, especially because it creates more drama than necessary.  We should be remembering the good qualities and memories Betty gave us in this thread.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 07:49:41 AM »
We should be remembering the good qualities and memories Betty gave us in this thread.
Like Betty's dance one day during a commercial break, lol.. She actually did it again yesterday during her goodbye. Made me laugh.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »
We should be remembering the good qualities and memories Betty gave us in this thread.
Like Betty's dance one day during a commercial break, lol.. She actually did it again yesterday during her goodbye. Made me laugh.

I remember when she "pulled a Stephanie Abrams" one time, by accidentally dropping her remote. (I know someone has a video of it, can't remember who atm).

Also, I liked Betty at the time when she worked with Adam Berg back then during the weekends. They were great.

hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 12:48:10 PM »

I remember when she "pulled a Stephanie Abrams" one time, by accidentally dropping her remote. (I know someone has a video of it, can't remember who atm).

Also, I liked Betty at the time when she worked with Adam Berg back then during the weekends. They were great.
The one where she flung the remote at the video wall? I believe that one is on my youtube.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »
Specifically who at TWC is coming up with these layoffs?
I would blame NBC. And also, the people who refuse to renew the ocm's contracts. Who's next? Jim Cantore, Vivian Brown? Perhaps Jeff Morrow?
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Spring Rubber

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 08:58:03 PM »
Jim Cantore is TWC's biggest asset; he will surely be safe for a long time.
<SpringRubber>   my gummy bears are hard
<SpringRubber>   :(
<SpringRubber>   PONY!
<kitty0723>    ADHD much?

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »
I dont see it, but what actually was her reason for leaving? I really like Betty, wish i could have seen her last show! TWC is really Getting on my nerves with all of the OCM's that are leaving (forcefully, or on there own choice) :cry:

Her contract expired. And I'm pretty sure someone uploaded it on YT now.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 10:30:04 PM »
I dont see it, but what actually was her reason for leaving? I really like Betty, wish i could have seen her last show! TWC is really Getting on my nerves with all of the OCM's that are leaving (forcefully, or on there own choice) :cry:

Her contract expired. And I'm pretty sure someone uploaded it on YT now.
Could someone post the link? I would love to see that :P