April 20, 2024, 12:05:23 AM

Author Topic: Attempt at perspective  (Read 3118 times)

Offline JBC

• View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Attempt at perspective
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:48:31 AM »
In putting things in perspective in regards to TWC dismissing many of the likeable long-time OCMs in recent years, can we blame the new ownership entirely for this management style. In a way it appears as if their is definitely a new managing perspective to the network, but hasn't TWC always had turnovers. I remember Rick Griffin and Will Annen as being somewhat stalwarts, but one day they got assigned to the overnight time slot, and eventually disappearing altogether. What happened there. There were others as well.

What was the primary reason for so many OCMs to leave throughout years? Was it them being let go or they were leaving for greener pastures?

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
Re: Attempt at perspective
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »
Only 3 of the OCMs that left did so under their own authority as far as I am aware. TWC was under pressure to downsize and become more efficient after NBC bought them. NBC realized they cut too many people and have begun rehiring some OCMs. As many companies do they are slowly replacing some of the older OCMs in favor of choosing their own people for the job. So at first it was for economic reasons and now its more for image and management purposes in my opinion

bergone

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »
Probably to grab more viewers, or to get fresh, new personalities so by the time all of the older OCMs are gone the newer ones feel more at home. I could be wrong though.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »
Probably to grab more viewers, or to get fresh, new personalities so by the time all of the older OCMs are gone the newer ones feel more at home. I could be wrong though.
Yep and NBC is making TWC with more of their image and people

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:42:53 PM »
I don't get it though. Yeah, I get NBC's idea of firing the older albeit more knowledgable OCMs and replacing them with younger ones (please correct me if I'm wrong), but how is this supposed to reflect their image and people? Most of these new OCMs worked in other news stations so they're personality hasn't changed. I don't really see a difference to be honest. Maria LaRosa looks the same regardless if she was on KY3 in Philly or on TWC. Bryan Norcross is not really 'young', so I guess NBC wanted something with him based on his expertise. It's just my two cents, though. I really don't see this image representing TWC. They just look like any other ordinary OCMs out there.