March 28, 2024, 06:05:45 AM

Author Topic: All the OCMs acting the same?  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
All the OCMs acting the same?
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
Is it me, have all the OCMs been acting the same exact way in the last year or so? All the OCMs used to have a personality, but now they are all exactly the same. Greeting everyone with a big smile, and then acting so serious when they talk about news stories without going off task about things like they used to. I don't know what happened, but they all have such a bland and dull personality right now. :hmm:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: All the OCMs acting the same?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
They have to follow guidelines given to them or else they could lose their job so perhaps the person in charge of on-air operations does not want them to have their distinctiveness
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »
Only Stephanie Abrams is the OCM that acts different than the others.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
Maybe they have been hanging around Chris and Crystal for too long. I kid, I kid.  :P

(eh, not really...)

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »
They have to follow guidelines given to them or else they could lose their job so perhaps the person in charge of on-air operations does not want them to have their distinctiveness
Are you saying that if Dave Schwartz were still there, they wouldn't let him act the way he always acted, like saying, "Good to see you tonight, my friend."?
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:16:06 PM »
Are you saying that if Dave Schwartz were still there, they wouldn't let him act the way he always acted, like saying, "Good to see you tonight, my friend."?
Where in my explanation did I specifically say the OCMs couldnt say certain things? What i meant was that they likely wouldnt be able to just overdue it.. such as why OCMs such as Adam Berg dont say their lines, and maybe why Heather Tesch doesnt put too much emphasis on stuff either  :P
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 07:19:54 PM »
Sucks, I've noticed that too. But they do have to keep their jobs

phw115wvwx

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
They have to keep some form of professionalism on the air.  After all, millions of people are watching their every move during severe weather.  The last thing they want do is really screw up or offend the audience during a critical event and potentially lose many viewers.  Now if it's a boring day with nothing happening in the weather, then they may be able to have a little more personality.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »

Oh, I miss that.   :cry:

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »
I was at my mom's this weekend. They watched during the severe weather. I noticed this too, but figured it was normal. :P I also noticed that all the songs on the LF sounded the same. Well, except what my mom and I called the "sh*t song" (it sounded like the "singer" was saying sh*t over and over). :lol: The biggest surprise (for me anyway) was that every time they tuned in, TWC was actually talking about the weather! :o
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:04:37 AM by twcclassics »
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

phw115wvwx

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 12:19:30 AM »
The biggest surprise (for me anyway) was that every time they tuned in, TWC was actually talking about the weather! :o
They better talk about the weather when over 100 tornadoes occur in one day and at least 5 people are dead!  Otherwise, their existence as a network would be completely over in everyone's minds, including the common public who know little about TWC.

In regards to you all saying the OCMs are acting the same lately, I don't know if it's really true or not for the past year, but I'd rather see that type of behavior when significant weather is occurring and lives are at stake.  It's our job as meteorologists to be serious when the weather dictates us to be serious! :yes:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 12:47:33 AM »
Wow, Matt, you actually watched TWC for once? XD

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »
Wow, Matt, you actually watched TWC for once? XD
It was their choice (their TV), not mine. :) I think several of you are not understanding the question here. Mike asked if all OCMs were "acting the same," not "serious."
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
I think several of you are not understanding the question here. Mike asked if all OCMs were "acting the same," not "serious."
It's because I read what Mike said about the OCMs after they greeted you with a smile in his post.  I do remember when they would show more personal knowledge or humor, but maybe it's frowned upon now due to concerns about professionalism and keeping one united voice and presentation to represent TWC in front of the camera.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »
I think we were biased about answering this question, because it was asked during the severe weather outbreak.  As Patrick was saying, I don't think it would be a good idea for any of the OCMs to throw in their oh-so-clever personal humor, and do push-ups, background dances, or something else, when a severe weather outbreak was in progress. ;)

I think Mike is right where there is limited personal humor thrown-in to some of the shows now, but I can't really say for sure.