March 28, 2024, 02:40:05 PM

Author Topic: New Update Coming?  (Read 32272 times)

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
Re: New Update Coming?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 10:16:03 AM »
the above beta isn't the current release (wayy before even the one thats being used publically), i am trying to figure out how the LDL should be displayed. the beta's LDL in the video is how it looked in the past, and I am fishing for opinions.. Weatherscan Local never had a LDL, but the regular StarXL did..

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 11:17:47 AM »
I dunno if I was supposed to do this, but it didn't mess anything up, but when I ran the emulator on my laptop one time (output to 2 sources), the external source came undone and I saw a diagnostics screen, and when I pressed "Command1", it turned on a yellow XL-like advisory LDL. :unsure:

Here's what I'm talking about
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/mmcornick/o2.jpg
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 11:54:24 PM »
I like the background (if it has some transparency).  If you are able to program the LDL background to have some transparency, then I say go for it.  If not, just text is fine.  If it's possible, I think it would be cool to have a yellow background and a red background (i.e. yellow for t-storm watch/warning, red for tornado watch/warning) to pop up when an alert is issued). 

Will it be possible to display local alerts?  That would be sweet.

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 12:00:58 AM »
I like the background (if it has some transparency).  If you are able to program the LDL background to have some transparency, then I say go for it.  If not, just text is fine.  If it's possible, I think it would be cool to have a yellow background and a red background (i.e. yellow for t-storm watch/warning, red for tornado watch/warning) to pop up when an alert is issued). 

currently, i have the ldl working again. right now i have it being displayed on a blue-cloud background.
in regard to local warnings, the answer is that it def. works with them. theres a 3rd party program that ingests messages put out from the NWS, and instantly relays them to Weatherscan. This has always worked, even with the current public release, however when i build the next public release (hopefully soon), the alert add-on will be installed. in regard to the message ingester, instructions will follow too!

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
ok here is how it looks at the time of this post:

Weatherscan Local - Update Progress - 7/13/2010

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 51
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
I absolutely love it! Maybe the ldl shouldnt go all the way to the edge though. I attached a quick image of what i'm talking about. I also noticed that you put the black transitions back. IMO I think it looks better and more authentic without those transitions.  :yes:

Offline LMolineux

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 815
  • SD Channel #: 77
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »
I absolutely love it! Maybe the ldl shouldnt go all the way to the edge though. I attached a quick image of what i'm talking about. I also noticed that you put the black transitions back. IMO I think it looks better and more authentic without those transitions.  :yes:
What in the world are you talking about as in the transitions?  There were and is no black transitions that i can see or note, Unless you have a video card problem.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 06:40:11 PM »
Where can we download the latest release?

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 06:44:07 PM »
the latest release is on CINE, however the video of what I am working with will be be released hopefully really soon! there are a few things i want to create selectable options for, like the displayed LDL.

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 08:13:24 PM »

What in the world are you talking about as in the transitions?  There were and is no black transitions that i can see or note, Unless you have a video card problem.

My apologies, I should've been more specific. When going from the "Local doppler" screen, to the "Current Conditions" screen, there is a very quick black transition in between them. Check your video below and go to 0:29 seconds in the video. There is a fast black transition when going to the Current Conditions screen. In the other update demonstration video you posted 3 days ago, I noticed the "black transition" wasn't there.

Weatherscan Local - Update Progress - 7/13/2010

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 08:27:39 PM »
I think the real WxScan XL transitioned as Brian programmed..
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 09:01:47 PM »
I think the real WxScan XL transitioned as Brian programmed..

Here's a video of the real WxScan. If you go to 1:07 in the video, it goes straight to the Current Conditions page.
Weatherscan Local 7/13/03

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »

currently, i have the ldl working again. right now i have it being displayed on a blue-cloud background.
in regard to local warnings, the answer is that it def. works with them. theres a 3rd party program that ingests messages put out from the NWS, and instantly relays them to Weatherscan. This has always worked, even with the current public release, however when i build the next public release (hopefully soon), the alert add-on will be installed. in regard to the message ingester, instructions will follow too!

Very awesome!!  I don't mind the blue cloudy background for "non-alert mode".  Would it be possible to do the yellow/red background or perhaps just red when an alert is issued?

Also, the font seems too heavy.  Maybe a non-bold version would work, or perhaps a different font altogether. 

How is the LDL controlled in the program?  Is it set to display on X slide and not on Y slide, is it timed or is it a check-box somewhere?

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »
many questions and stuff to answer all at once..
-the "black" that you see between products is itself a product of my emulator. no the original weatherscan did not create this effect. this is created within my program when one frame unloads and the next frame is loaded and shown. the most clean method i was able to create from transitioning from the radar's to something else was done the best way I could, given VB6 is still the programming language I am using for the program. the product pages are rendered objects, the radar (with the title bar inserted) is a rendered object, and even the fading between one product to the next is a live motion render. the only thing that is not a live render is the call to the radar files, which is just played back file-by-file sequentially.

-other than the current conditions LDL, the alert LDL does behave like it would on a regular star. even when a warning is issued, a  beep sequence is heard. this alert function of the emulator isn't fictional, it does infact work!

-the font used is the best one I could come up with, which is still what the original weatherscan used. most of all the pages use the proper font and its compared with its size. the only product that may differ is the 36 hour forecast.

-i havn't quite figured out how the ldl should function, maybe some advice should be given. i was debating on a solid toggle of on and off, but currently in the program, it alternates on and off by itself after a lapse period of time.

-yes, i would like to experiment with different weatherscan backgrounds, i am not a creative artist, i only am working with what i have. when i release the next version of the emulator (hopefully really really soon, like within the next few days to a week or so) i would like to pre-package the emulator with some user-submitted overlays and backgrounds.

-i am also proud to announce that the National League (of baseball) won the All Star Game for home field advantage during the World Series.

-i am thankful that many enjoy this emulator, if it wasnt only for me using the emulator, i wouldnt bother making enhancements and modifications to it.

-i love feedback!
Brian
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:33:33 AM by cc17926 »

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 10:02:07 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Brian. Although I thought the video you posted a few days ago looked pretty clean, maybe those transitions can be optionalized in the future...As for the ldl, I like the idea of it being toggled on & off. Maybe It can be toggled on every other loop starting at the title page, and ending when it gets back to the title page again. I like the font currently used for the ldl. I was experimenting with some other fonts in my image editor, and I think the current font used suits it the best. Speaking of fonts on a side note, the new 36 hour font size update is an excellent update, but if it's not too much trouble could you make size of the days of the week always be the same (small) size? And finally for my 100th post ("lol who cares?") I have attached the theme packed I have worked on that WxScan used for larger cities. The quality isn't perfect but hopefully it's still useable.  :thumbsup: