March 19, 2024, 03:29:55 AM

Author Topic: Are there any tips on retrieving a (first-generation) IntelliStar unit?  (Read 5531 times)

Offline Tinh1000000

• :eyes:
    • View Profile
    • Scutoidal
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
I have tried searching for an IntelliStar unit (and other similar Stars) on eBay, though with disappointingly no active results. The last similar item sold there was a WeatherStar 4000 from Houston on 22 June 2020—however, the seller has listed its condition as intended for parts salvaging.

I am aware that there is the option to receive notifications on whenever a next listing is available—but beside that, what are other tips that I may utilize—to increase the chances that I find and purchase one of the units? All advice are appreciated!

Offline Everblack

• STAR enthusiast, developer of the WSIII Simulator.
    • View Profile
    • The Everblack
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: 1337
Unfortunately the eBay alerts for new items will be the death of you if it's a sole point of getting one of these things, or anything of this rarity and vintage. It's mostly a waiting game. I'm still on my only one from 2017, and the units that came after on eBay have been out of my budget.

You could look at recycling centers in your area since cable headends tend to follow that policy, but I wouldn't expect units to end up there the moment you get into one, it would be a major pain in the ass to check every now and then for one thing. Patience is key.

You're more lucky to find analog STARs like the Weather Star Jr or 4000, keep your eye out for one.

Offline Tinh1000000

• :eyes:
    • View Profile
    • Scutoidal
  • Cable Provider: Other
Thank you! I have decided to inquire to my local E-waste recycling centre about if I can be notified on whether such a unit is turned in. I already expected for those types of units to be rare by now—I would not mind to have patience on retrieving one! :happy:

I will also keep an eye out for analogue WeatherStar units as well, in conjunction with the IntelliStar units that I am interested in getting.