April 19, 2024, 05:08:27 PM

Author Topic: LDL Ads (Suggestion)  (Read 6519 times)

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
LDL Ads (Suggestion)
« on: April 14, 2010, 03:43:12 PM »
Ok, so I saw that the time was added to the IntelliStar LDL it's self. I think it's a great step up, but, I was wondering... would it be possible to make the LDL come up in full (So the National LDL section wont show), and just send the ad to the IntelliStar and it will show it on the IntelliStars LDL? Since personaly, I think it looks a bit funny with the two different backgrounds  :hmm:

-Curt

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: LDL Ads (Suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
Ok, so I saw that the time was added to the IntelliStar LDL it's self. I think it's a great step up, but, I was wondering... would it be possible to make the LDL come up in full (So the National LDL section wont show), and just send the ad to the IntelliStar and it will show it on the IntelliStars LDL? Since personaly, I think it looks a bit funny with the two different backgrounds  :hmm:

-Curt
That's what I've been saying all along! But I doubt it will happen.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:53:22 PM »

-Curt
That's what I've been saying all along! But I doubt it will happen.
W00T I'm not alone :happy:

Offline hen7713

• Blue Box
  • I write code.
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 64
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24688
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
I agree, but however I'm sure they use that for advertising. They could at least make the gradients / colors the same.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
Seriously? Of course they probably thought of this. However the method they use now makes it easier on TWCs end to push advertising. Plus TWC wants to show ads to people not on the IS too. Why send ads to the IS when they are already being shown on screen for legacy STAR viewers?

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
Seriously? Of course they probably thought of this. However the method they use now makes it easier on TWCs end to push advertising. Plus TWC wants to show ads to people not on the IS too. Why send ads to the IS when they are already being shown on screen for legacy STAR viewers?
Why not just move the ad back to the upper-right corner like how it was during the chromakey days? This would end the issues altogether, and you can still see the logos just as good.

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 05:22:11 PM »
Why not just move the ad back to the upper-right corner like how it was during the chromakey days? This would end the issues altogether, and you can still see the logos just as good.
DING DING DING! Thats another efficient solution, thus still meeting the requests for the full LDL, so it doesnt look cheesy with the two backgrounds on the LDLs.

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 05:22:19 PM »
Regionalized advertisement.  Not what I would do, but something that could be used in the future.

/Then you could use the space rotating with a full radar!

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 05:52:24 PM »
This isn't necessarily a technical problem, so I'm going to move it to general discussion. This issue is pretty much out of the STAR Team's hands, they're just doing what they're told.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 06:11:32 PM »
Where do your eyes travel to when you are looking at the TV screen on TWC? MOST viewers are looking at their local forecast on the LDL and are going to view the ad more. I kid you not this plays a roll in how they do stuff. TWC is known for testing every little aspect of their network with study groups. Ads stuck in the local wx will get viewed more with more attention payed to it. Plus they spent money and time creating a brand new ldl with a special place for it. Doubt they want to say.... oops well that didn't work!

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 06:25:14 PM »
Where do your eyes travel to when you are looking at the TV screen on TWC? MOST viewers are looking at their local forecast on the LDL and are going to view the ad more. I kid you not this plays a roll in how they do stuff. TWC is known for testing every little aspect of their network with study groups. Ads stuck in the local wx will get viewed more with more attention payed to it. Plus they spent money and time creating a brand new ldl with a special place for it. Doubt they want to say.... oops well that didn't work!
What a waste... the nat'l display LDL was supposed to display all kinds of info that I'll bet users liked... i.e. airport delay info, travel cities, almanac, etc. The previous LDL displayed all the CC and forecast data for the main 3 cities necessary :thumbsup:
Plus, they could just sit the ad on top (above) of the LDL. They send the LOT8's ad through to all the Intellistars, so what is wrong with doing that in this case during nat'l broadcasts?
TWC in...

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
I've also noticed that sometimes the LDL doesn't show and the ad is still there.......

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »
What a waste... the nat'l display LDL was supposed to display all kinds of info that I'll bet users liked... i.e. airport delay info, travel cities, almanac, etc. The previous LDL displayed all the CC and forecast data for the main 3 cities necessary :thumbsup:
Plus, they could just sit the ad on top (above) of the LDL. They send the LOT8's ad through to all the Intellistars, so what is wrong with doing that in this case during nat'l broadcasts?
Why on earth would they want to send them through the Intellistar? TWC has to show the area anyway for satellite and legacy stars. Its just redundant. Almanac on a national ldl is just silly anyway. Most users don't care about that kind of stuff.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »
Almanac on a national ldl is just silly anyway. Most users don't care about that kind of stuff.
Then why was it added in the first place? Been on the LDL and the LF since the Intellistar was debuted (technically, it has actually been on the LF since the early daze of TWC)... and it's all of a sudden removed just so people can see all kinds of forecast data that NBC thinks they're too lazy to wait a few minutes to see?
TWC in...

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
Almanac on a national ldl is just silly anyway. Most users don't care about that kind of stuff.
Then why was it added in the first place? Been on the LDL and the LF since the Intellistar was debuted (technically, it has actually been on the LF since the early daze of TWC)... and it's all of a sudden removed just so people can see all kinds of forecast data that NBC thinks they're too lazy to wait a few minutes to see?

You can't blame everything on NBC btw :P although it is easy to do so haha. They probably did some study groups and found that kind of information isn't important to most people. If it is then they can wait until the local forecast. Thats exactly why it was removed from the national ldl. People have to wait long enough as it is on the national ldl to see their local forecast so TWC reduced the unneeded stuff. Not putting travel info is an incentive to make people actually watch TWC for their travel info.