April 20, 2024, 01:28:39 AM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1124017 times)

Offline boyercam

• Bringing The Weather Channel to the UK
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #5355 on: June 13, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »
Thanks for that gt1racerlHDl. Interesting, I'm not quite sure why they would do that. So you also get the L bar too?

WxStar XL Web Emulator: http://cameronboyer.tk/wsxl/

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #5356 on: June 14, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »
I'm not 100% sure if the STAR being shown on the SD channel around here is the IS2. The LDL and sidebar are synced up correctly but, the actual local forecasts opened with different greetings on the SD and HD channels. The SD version didn't have the local ad crawl and the tornado week ad glitch showed up only on the SD channel. I'm not sure if it's an IS2 Jr. (I don't think so) but it's still peculiar.

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #5357 on: June 14, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
I'm not 100% sure if the STAR being shown on the SD channel around here is the IS2. The LDL and sidebar are synced up correctly but, the actual local forecasts opened with different greetings on the SD and HD channels. The SD version didn't have the local ad crawl and the tornado week ad glitch showed up only on the SD channel. I'm not sure if it's an IS2 Jr. (I don't think so) but it's still peculiar.
I think you may have an IS2xD Unit. I can confirm that the IS2HD and IS2xD are 2 seperate units. The IS2xD has the capability to broadcast over the SD and HD feeds simultaneously. As for the LDL and Sidebar being synced, the IS2 units have some sort of "fail-safe" in case the unit's LDL cues late. If the LDL or sidebar is cued late, the IS2, somehow, changes the LDL or sidebar to the correct product. It's the same technology in the IS2s LF "fail-safe".
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:33:18 PM by luesjo12 »

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: June 14, 2015, 01:46:40 PM »
I think you may have an IS2xD Unit. I can confirm that the IS2HD and IS2xD are 2 seperate units. The IS2xD has the capability to broadcast over the SD and HD feeds simultaneously. As for the LDL and Sidebar being synced, the IS2 units have some sort of "fail-safe" in case the unit's LDL cues late. If the LDL or sidebar is cued late, the IS2, somehow, changes the LDL or sidebar to the correct product. It's the same technology in the IS2s LF "fail-safe".
Interesting. I went into Vegas and synced up the audio and video and put them side-by-side and the SD LF cued just a bit ahead of (and I'm talking by 2 frames) the HD LF. I rendered out a video of the side-by-side, I'll see how fast I can upload it.

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: June 14, 2015, 02:31:54 PM »
Hmm. That's very interesting.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: June 14, 2015, 03:00:52 PM »
And here we are:
! No longer available

Offline boyercam

• Bringing The Weather Channel to the UK
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5361 on: June 14, 2015, 03:50:16 PM »

Mind blown, How does this thing not overheat. I wonder if the IS2xD unit looks different to the normal IS?

WxStar XL Web Emulator: http://cameronboyer.tk/wsxl/

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: June 14, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »

Mind blown, How does this thing not overheat. I wonder if the IS2xD unit looks different to the normal IS?
The IS2xD, just like the IS2 and IS2HD look different than the IS. In the case of the IS2xD, it uses the same metal case the IS2Jr uses.

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: June 22, 2015, 09:58:37 PM »
It seems like TWC has updated the IS2 silently removing the product names under the sidebar, and moving the ad crawl closer to the local forecast products. I included pictures from the McAllen, TX IS2 and the Slatington, PA IS2. (Credit saxlover98) The national feed has the blank space under the sidebar as well.

EDIT: The sidebar issue may not be part of the update. It might be a bug on both the Nat'l and local feeds.
EDIT #2: TWC added a new format to the LDL LOT8s plus a new Logo for it. I included an image of it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:32:07 PM by luesjo12 »

Offline TWCKelby

• Owner of the TWC Archive wiki
  • Owner of an IS1 and I2 or something
    • View Profile
    • TWC Archive - An Open TWC Wiki
  • Cable Provider: Blue Ridge Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 621
  • HD WxStar ID #: 11624
  • SD Channel #: 34
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23268
  • WxScan Ch. #: 218
  • WxScan ID #: 19874
« Reply #5364 on: June 22, 2015, 10:34:19 PM »
I always thought there was no dual feed on HD but I was wrong. Less than a minute after longform started at 10, I got a breaking now come up and the national feed with the longform LDL. For some reason even though I'm in eastern PA I get the coverage for the stuff going on in Michigan right now. Attached are pictures from 10:15 from Slatington PA and McAllen, TX (credit: Luesjo12) showing the dual feed in action. Also, it seems TWC forgot to remove the Tropical Summary slides for Ana and Bill from the national sidebar.

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: June 23, 2015, 10:07:39 PM »
With this new minor update, TWC has changed the position of the Warning/Watch/Advisory crawl. The crawl now covers the News ticker which minimizes confusion/strain on the eyes from viewing two different crawls. IMO, it was a good choice.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #5366 on: June 24, 2015, 02:01:34 AM »
That is a great idea. Should have always been that way.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #5367 on: June 30, 2015, 07:59:15 PM »
The updated weather advisory scroll now features the time/temperature stamp, seen here during an LF. It's just like old times.  B)

TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline TWCKelby

• Owner of the TWC Archive wiki
  • Owner of an IS1 and I2 or something
    • View Profile
    • TWC Archive - An Open TWC Wiki
  • Cable Provider: Blue Ridge Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 621
  • HD WxStar ID #: 11624
  • SD Channel #: 34
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23268
  • WxScan Ch. #: 218
  • WxScan ID #: 19874
« Reply #5368 on: July 04, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »
Happy 4th of July everyone! TWC pulled out the 4th of July graphics again this year
! No longer available

Offline colonieweather

• B.A. Broadcast Meteorology
    • View Profile
    • Colonie Weather Online
  • HD Channel #: 23
« Reply #5369 on: July 08, 2015, 05:55:21 PM »
It seems like TWC has updated the IS2 silently removing the product names under the sidebar, and moving the ad crawl closer to the local forecast products. I included pictures from the McAllen, TX IS2 and the Slatington, PA IS2. (Credit saxlover98) The national feed has the blank space under the sidebar as well.

EDIT: The sidebar issue may not be part of the update. It might be a bug on both the Nat'l and local feeds.
EDIT #2: TWC added a new format to the LDL LOT8s plus a new Logo for it. I included an image of it.

It's been a few weeks since update, so the local product rundown missing in sidebar is permanent?  If so, interesting move... a lot of empty space there now.