March 28, 2024, 10:03:24 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1115909 times)

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #4785 on: April 08, 2013, 02:23:23 PM »
So before I believe it can someone here chime in and tell us for sure that the LOT8s as we know it really is going byebye as indirectly stated in the article?

I wouldn't think they would answer anything about the new format since the upfront was just last week and they don't want to release any new information to the public at this time.

I tried to get some sort of answer last week and this was the reply i got

Unfortunately I cannot speak to those details. We apologize for any inconvenience.

and this morning i got this from Local On The 8s Support about the 60 second locals during all dayparts.

GT, it will be that way for the foreseeable future...a programming decision
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:28:28 PM by gt1racerlHDl »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #4786 on: April 08, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »
Future Weather Channel LOT8s

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: April 08, 2013, 06:32:56 PM »
Have you guys ever noticed that on the text based forecast, when the high or low temperature ends in a "0" or a "5", it will read "around" or "near", for example, "High around 60" or "Low near 50." That's a pattern I've been noticing for several years.
Yes, I've noticed that since the XL era. In fact, TWC used to always use the terms "around" and "near" for all temperature readings until July 2002. :yes:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:36:01 PM by Mike M »

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #4788 on: April 08, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »
Localonthe8s, is that a 30-second LF you've got there?  I certainly hope it's not coming to that, but we've gone from 2 minutes to 60 seconds, so this is the next likely step.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: April 08, 2013, 10:55:31 PM »
Localonthe8s, is that a 30-second LF you've got there?  I certainly hope it's not coming to that, but we've gone from 2 minutes to 60 seconds, so this is the next likely step.
Yes, that's a new overnight flavor

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4790 on: April 09, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »
Here are 3 versions of the 60 second flavor which would allow the Metro Conditions page to show compared to the Metro Forecast.

My Proposed 60 Second Local for TWC (No Precip)

My Proposed 60 Second Local for TWC (Precip)

My Proposed 60 Second Local for TWC (Weather Bulletin)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:52:47 PM by gt1racerlHDl »

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #4791 on: April 10, 2013, 01:00:15 AM »
Yes, that's a new overnight flavor

I thought the 30-second flavor was just a sarcastic video. If that's true, then TWC is making the LF as short as its ever been. It's sad. This will probably be the last stretch of TWC in my life.

Offline xoddf2

• TWC Fan 2004ญญญ–2009
    • View Profile
    • wlair.us.to
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 798
  • SD Channel #: 22
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23811
« Reply #4792 on: April 10, 2013, 01:25:53 AM »

Offline Ice Man

• Lord of Winter
  • Embrace the chill of the longest night
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21691
« Reply #4793 on: April 10, 2013, 04:39:18 AM »
This is a reminder that there actually were 30-second LFs at one point:

http://www.twcclassics.com/local-forecast/flavors/weatherstar-3000
http://www.twcclassics.com/local-forecast/flavors/weatherstar-4000

If I'm not mistaken, the 4k wasn't a forecast at all, and only showed local/regional conditions. The 3k 'maybe' but I remember times when that would skip forecasts as well.

Are all 30-second LF's going by the zip code instead of a local name? That seems SO impersonal.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:19:34 AM by Ice Man »

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #4794 on: April 10, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
So, it's real then.  That's a bummer.  :huh:  At least I got to see a few K-flavors and 2-minute flavors in the last few months.  I guess I had better enjoy the 60-second locals while they're still around.  :itsok:  Since we're dropping 30 seconds each time the LFs are chopped down, the next step after :30 is :0.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: April 10, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
Are all 30-second LF's going by the zip code instead of a local name? That seems SO impersonal.

The DirecTV-generated local forecasts use ZIP codes, and regular Stars use location names.  I don't think I've ever seen ZIP codes used on a Star.  Unless you're talking about something else that I'm missing.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: April 10, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Yeah, and those are not real Icons either. For some reason, the icons are not displaying properly on my feed

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #4797 on: April 10, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »
During the past few years I've been here, it's been incredible how much the LOT8's has changed. I remember in 2009 people were still complaining about the IS icons and wanted the XL ones back. Then people didn't like how many of the LOT8's songs were repeats in the years 2010-2011. 2012 was the big permanent music shift--or debacle, for some-- from jazz to vocals, and 2013 has just been a serious diminishing of the LOT8's importance. I was one of the people to complain about the music, too, but it's amazing how many of us took the LOT8's for granted the past few years, complaining about things such as icons and music repeats. None of those things, though, compare to the phasing out of the LOT8's. I didn't think it'd happen this quickly, but time does inevitably lead to change, and TWC is living up to that principle. I wish the network the best, but I don't see it surviving on major TV networks much longer with all the negative changes I'm observing. If TWC doesn't keep the LOT8's, it won't be keeping my attention or viewership, as I mainly watch for my local weather anyhow unless there is some serious weather news around the country.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:59:07 PM by twcfan68 »

Offline Ice Man

• Lord of Winter
  • Embrace the chill of the longest night
    • View Profile
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21691
« Reply #4798 on: April 10, 2013, 07:17:22 PM »
The DirecTV-generated local forecasts use ZIP codes, and regular Stars use location names.  I don't think I've ever seen ZIP codes used on a Star.  Unless you're talking about something else that I'm missing.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

During the past few years I've been here, it's been incredible how much the LOT8's has changed. I remember in 2009 people were still complaining about the IS icons and wanted the XL ones back. Then people didn't like how many of the LOT8's songs were repeats in the years 2010-2011. 2012 was the big permanent music shift--or debacle, for some-- from jazz to vocals, and 2013 has just been a serious diminishing of the LOT8's importance. I was one of the people to complain about the music, too, but it's amazing how many of us took the LOT8's for granted the past few years, complaining about things such as icons and music repeats. None of those things, though, compare to the phasing out of the LOT8's. I didn't think it'd happen this quickly, but time does inevitably lead to change, and TWC is living up to that principle. I wish the network the best, but I don't see it surviving on major TV networks much longer with all the negative changes I'm observing. If TWC doesn't keep the LOT8's, it won't be keeping my attention or viewership, as I mainly watch for my local weather anyhow unless there is some serious weather news around the country.

It's very depressing, the way that broadcasting has gone. Subject to the same kind of hyper-inflation that has hit, well I guess an OK example is the health industry.

Premium Cable, which once upon a time was meant to be a holy grail for broadcasting because it would be free of ads, has now fallen right back into it. Only now the technology just demands everything to be even MORE costly than it was before. Combined with the kind of 'ADHD-proof' programming that is prominent now, and it's not surprising that nobody can ever expect to sit down and RELAX to watch a weather forecast. If it takes more than 5 seconds to get your message across, you risk losing your audience. Even the coverage of Golf... of all things, Golf... has started to show signs of trying to make itself super-exciting. Last year I did a literal face palm when I saw an ad for a tournament set to music from Inception (complete with the dramatic foghorn noise). I felt like I was watching one of those satirical youtube trailers where they take something cute/romantic and turn it into a horror piece.

TWC hasn't even taken the brunt of this though. The history channel seems to have had to reinvent itself as the fantasy channel just to keep itself alive.

Growing up, I wanted to get into broadcasting. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole now.  :club:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:19:35 PM by Ice Man »

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4799 on: April 12, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »
which would present the best updated local weather information during the 60 second locals?

Metro Conditions after Current Conditions (Attached) or Metro Forecast before 36 Hour Local Forecast (Attached)?