April 27, 2024, 10:21:22 AM

Author Topic: Dan Chandler's local forecast narration  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Dan Chandler's local forecast narration
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »
Whenever, the "Almanac" page was seen on either the 3000 or 4000, which would tell you, depending on which STAR, the moon phases, the average high and low temperatures for the date, the average precipitation for the month, the sunrise and sunset times and tidal information if you're on the coast, why would his narration refer to the "Almanac" page as "special regional information"? Just curious.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
Re: Dan Chandler's local forecast narration
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »
Whenever, the "Almanac" page was seen on either the 3000 or 4000, which would tell you, depending on which STAR, the moon phases, the average high and low temperatures for the date, the average precipitation for the month, the sunrise and sunset times and tidal information if you're on the coast, why would his narration refer to the "Almanac" page as "special regional information"? Just curious.

Simply because of what you said - there was so much variety with that page.  Depending on the Star version and the location, you might see the temperature and precipitation forecast ("above/below normal" or "normal"), you might see the page with the average and record temperatures, there might be moon phases and sunrises and sunsets, and, for locations along the coast, the tide information, which was never titled "Almanac" on the 3000 or the 4000.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
Actually the temperature/precipitation forecast "above/below normal" or "normal" was on the "outlook" page, when the narration said "your regions long range outlook"; not on the almanac page.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »
Actually the temperature/precipitation forecast "above/below normal" or "normal" was on the "outlook" page, when the narration said "your regions long range outlook"; not on the almanac page.

I've seen it used on a 3000 in place of the almanac.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
Tides substituted the almanac for coastal STARs... I am no classic TWC expert, but I simply knew that because I saw a 4000 in 2009 that had tides in lieu of the almanac  :bleh:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:16:12 PM »
Tides substituted the almanac for coastal STARs... I am no classic TWC expert, but I simply knew that because I saw a 4000 in 2009 that had tides in lieu of the almanac  :bleh:

Yes, Tides replaced the Almanac.  Exceptions were extraordinarily rare - they happened only when the tides information was, for some bizarre reason, unavailable, and even that was so unlikely, since the Star calculated the tide and sunrise/sunset data itself.  In other words, it was a product that technically could never expire.  The Boston Star 3000 showed the Almanac instead of Tides maybe only a couple of times that I can remember, and it never showed the Outlook.  Boston upgraded to the 4000 in 1993, and I don't think I ever saw the Almanac taking the place of Tides.  The 4000 never showed the Outlook, either.

Every summer I got to watch the Willow Grove, PA (near Philadelphia) Star.  Since this wasn't on the coast, it showed the Almanac instead of Tides.  The 3000 showed the Outlook only about 20% of the time, and the rest of the time it showed the Almanac, regardless of flavor.  I can't remember offhand seeing both the Almanac and the Outlook together on the same local forecast.  This area upgraded to the 4000 in 1991, and that showed the Outlook only at the very beginning.  It very quickly disappeared from the rotation.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »
The 4000 never showed the Outlook, either.
Sure it did. It was part of the original J flavor, then moved to the M in fall 1992. I remember seeing it lots of times.

I can't remember offhand seeing both the Almanac and the Outlook together on the same local forecast.
Lots of examples of this on my site. J and later the M flavor had both.

This area upgraded to the 4000 in 1991, and that showed the Outlook only at the very beginning.  It very quickly disappeared from the rotation.
That's weird. Seems like your 4000 differed from the rest of the country.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 10:23:10 PM »
In all of the examples I gave, I was talking about either the Boston or Willow Grove Stars, not about Stars in general or about every Star in the country.  I didn't prefix every mention of a Star with the city name because I thought it was unnecessary and understood in context.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 12:00:34 AM »
In all of the examples I gave, I was talking about either the Boston or Willow Grove Stars, not about Stars in general or about every Star in the country.  I didn't prefix every mention of a Star with the city name because I thought it was unnecessary and understood in context.
Interesting. I wonder why your cable company decided not to show the outlook. Guess I'll have to through my Willow Grove footage and find out! :)
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:14:07 AM »
Interesting. I wonder why your cable company decided not to show the outlook. Guess I'll have to through my Willow Grove footage and find out! :)

No idea.  :)  I wasn't even aware of the Outlook until I started watching TWC at my grandparents' house.

I'm glad that there are clips of the Willow Grove Star available.  Good memories!

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 01:35:16 AM »
My Outlook pretty much disappeared shortly after the 4000 premiered.  They switched the flavors, and the Regional Forecast was right before the radar.  With the Almanac, I remember being a bit disappointed when I could no longer see the normal highs and lows the 3000 had.