April 23, 2024, 10:10:33 PM

Author Topic: Question About WeatherStar4000 BG and Radar Font  (Read 4419 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Question About WeatherStar4000 BG and Radar Font
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
I was wondering, I've been studying over various 4000 videos (real and emulated) off and on for nearly 6 weeks or so since I've been making my own in AE and it seems like on the gradient background there's some noise. Is that really the case? :dunno: I haven't used the most recent 4000 emulator yet, but I think I remember on v3 when it was released there was noise on the BG.

My next question is about the font for "Local Radar" and "Current Radar". Is that a different font from the STAR4000 fonts? None of the ones I have installed match the font for that text.  :no: The closest one is the STAR Radar font, but it's all CAPS. :hmm:

EDIT: I added some noise in the picture below which is from one of my AE projects.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Question About WeatherStar4000 BG and Radar Font
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »
Nick would be the best person to answer this.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:23:31 PM »
it seems like on the gradient background there's some noise. Is that really the case? :dunno:

Are you talking about the bitrot degredation on the background?  That's a common problem with the 4000s now that they're getting so old.  However, as originally designed, the background was supposed to be a smooth gradient (as smooth as that technology would allow).  The best way to see the background other than just as a frame at the edges of the screen was on the "Almanac" page, where it was used for the sunrise/sunset information, the "Air Quality" screen (in California), where it was used for the entire background, and if a page didn't load immediately, you could see the background while the blue box was being drawn in front of it.  The 4000 was essentially one layer on top of another, ad nauseum, and sometimes the computer had a problem drawing certain layers at certain times.  If the top banner didn't load, for example, you'd see the top line as used on the WeatherStar III, as the 4000 used all the same information as the III, but it was able to draw graphics to replace some textual information.

My next question is about the font for "Local Radar" and "Current Radar". Is that a different font from the STAR4000 fonts? None of the ones I have installed match the font for that text.  :no: The closest one is the STAR Radar font, but it's all CAPS. :hmm:

The original radar font was that which you see in the font set.  However, as a result of the most recent update to the 4000, which was some time ago already, the font changed to a more streamlined and narrower helvetica-type font.  This hasn't been included in any of the font sets that I've seen available.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »
it seems like on the gradient background there's some noise. Is that really the case? :dunno:

Are you talking about the bitrot degredation on the background?
No, he isn't talking about the degradation. And the gradient couldn't have been smooth because of the hardware limitations on the 4000. Nick recreated the 4000 background to it's best extent for the WS4000 emulator, so the gradient was indeed grainy. :yes:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
As I said, the technology of the time limited how smoothly the gradient could be drawn.  I can't imagine why anyone would design a background that was deliberately "noisy."

Offline Nick

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Page
  • HD Channel #: 519
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28765
  • SD Channel #: 19
  • SD WxStar ID #: 25617
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »
The original background was solid colors with a noise pattern bordering the transition between the colors. The current one uses a similar scheme, but it gives a much smoother look. When I recreated it for the emulator, I created a standard Photoshop gradient, then exported it through the "save for web & devices" option, set output to GIF, color reduction algorithm to "selective", dithering algorithm to "noise" and colors to "12". The video adapter only displayed 256 colors (8 bit), which was somewhat common at the time.

The big blue box is actually five concentric rectangles with a border color that makes it appear smooth.

No idea on the radar banner fonts. I did look through font libraries and tried the Bitstream's "what the font", but never found a good match. On the emulator's banners, the letters were traced out on a separate layer since I couldn't find a suitable font. Keep in mind the font looks the way it does because the image is sent at about half size and is enlarged for display by the 4000 (same with the radar maps and data).
My Classic Weather Channel on Youtube
www.youtube.com/user/hookecho80

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
The original background was solid colors with a noise pattern bordering the transition between the colors. The current one uses a similar scheme, but it gives a much smoother look. When I recreated it for the emulator, I created a standard Photoshop gradient, then exported it through the "save for web & devices" option, set output to GIF, color reduction algorithm to "selective", dithering algorithm to "noise" and colors to "12". The video adapter only displayed 256 colors (8 bit), which was somewhat common at the time.

The big blue box is actually five concentric rectangles with a border color that makes it appear smooth.

No idea on the radar banner fonts. I did look through font libraries and tried the Bitstream's "what the font", but never found a good match. On the emulator's banners, the letters were traced out on a separate layer since I couldn't find a suitable font. Keep in mind the font looks the way it does because the image is sent at about half size and is enlarged for display by the 4000 (same with the radar maps and data).

Thank you for your insight on this. It's very appreciated.  :biggrin:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA