April 18, 2024, 05:27:18 PM

Author Topic: Question about all WeatherSTAR's  (Read 5619 times)

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 51
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Question about all WeatherSTAR's
« on: July 04, 2009, 09:49:25 AM »
Ok, I know there's WeatherSTAR's I, II, III (3000), 4000, and XL but where does the jr. fall in? Is it just another name for one of the stars or is it in it's own category?  :thinking:

Offline zone OH11

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: 041
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
Re: Question about all WeatherSTAR's
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:43:06 AM »
The Jr. is a budget model for smaller cable companies. It's text based like the I, II, and III, but uses the 4000's font. It was made in 1993.
NAT'L WEATHER SERVICE FORECAST -- ZONE OH11

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 11:00:02 PM »
The Jr. is a budget model for smaller cable companies. It's text based like the I, II, and III, but uses the 4000's font. It was made in 1993.
Not exactly the same as the 4000 font, but pretty similar.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:19:18 AM »
The Jr was another way for TWC to establish a base and get content "in" your home. Making it cheap helped them a lot

Drobbins

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:06:25 PM »
Where do I go to find info about WeatherStar? I joined their forum, but I still can't get around. (forum blocked and no confirmation email)

Offline xoddf2

• TWC Fan 2004ญญญ–2009
    • View Profile
    • wlair.us.to
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 798
  • SD Channel #: 22
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23811
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Where do I go to find info about WeatherStar? I joined their forum, but I still can't get around. (forum blocked and no confirmation email)
Which forum are you talking about? You may be confused as to the forums product. WeatherStar is a branding of computers created by The Weather Channel to generate local forecasts. One of these systems is located at your local headend. Since its introduction in the late 80's there have been several different upgrades and newer types. That wiki article should fill you in. Feel free to ask any questions you want here :)

Drobbins

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »
Was trying to find out info on the WeatherStar Emulator? So I found this site http://www.taiganet.com/forum/index.php?
I think a TWC style feed, or similar, on my website would be the ticket. So I wanted to find out what is needed.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 10:54:46 PM »
Was trying to find out info on the WeatherStar Emulator? So I found this site http://www.taiganet.com/forum/index.php?
I think a TWC style feed, or similar, on my website would be the ticket. So I wanted to find out what is needed.

Oh yes its an emulator of an older style weatherstar. here is a sample of it.

Its a standalone software that runs on your computer very similar to our own weatherscan emulator which you can see here. https://twctodayforums.com/index.php?page=emulators/overview

I know how hard that darn code can be. they refuse to change it to make it easier. Here is the download link if your interested http://www.taiganet.com/WSPublicBeta/4000Install.msi

epzik8

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 06:32:51 AM »
Ok, I know there's WeatherSTAR's I, II, III (3000), 4000, and XL but where does the jr. fall in? Is it just another name for one of the stars or is it in it's own category?  :thinking:

You probably know this already, but the 3000 was put out of service in 2004. The Junior is text based like the 3000 was and probably belongs with the 4000 in the "sort of low-tech" category. Thats my name for it.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »

You probably know this already, but the 3000 was put out of service in 2004. The Junior is text based like the 3000 was and probably belongs with the 4000 in the "sort of low-tech" category. Thats my name for it.
The 4000 was in by no means the low-tech category. It costs quite a bit and the Jr was a cheap alternative for small cables companies who didnt have the money to shell out for it.

I suggest if you ever have to say "you probably know this" then you refrain from posting.

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 12:33:08 AM »
Just adding two cents here, but how the heck can any STAR be low tech? The WeatherStar's are quite complex, even the WeatherStar Platform (The unit that series I, II, and III utilized. I don't know what the exact name was, just guessing WeatherStar.)

The only reason why the STAR III was decommisioned was because alomost none were utilized, since most companies upgraded to the 4000, Jr, XL, or even the IntelliStar. What's the use in spending money for something that almost no one utilizes? If I recall, about 5 were being used near 2004? Maybe more?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:34:59 AM by curtjr4 »

Offline TravelCitiesFan

• Thunderstorm Lover
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27210
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »
Actually the WeatherSTAR 3000 was decommissioned by the FCC because it could not produce a alert tone at the start of a warning and making upgrades to it would have been expensive.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why we call it the present - Jared Ciccarello

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »
Actually the WeatherSTAR 3000 was decommissioned by the FCC because it could not produce a alert tone at the start of a warning and making upgrades to it would have been expensive.
If you read my post carefully, I said that :biggrin:

The only reason why the STAR III was decommisioned was because alomost none were utilized, since most companies upgraded to the 4000, Jr, XL, or even the IntelliStar. What's the use in spending money for something that almost no one utilizes? If I recall, about 5 were being used near 2004? Maybe more?
I could have been a little more specific probaly, but that shines the light on it ;)