March 28, 2024, 03:25:50 PM

Author Topic: IntelliStar 2 Videos!  (Read 59970 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: IntelliStar 2 Videos!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 10:45:13 PM »
Tyler, I wonder where did you get that video from Nashville, TN? You didn't magically visit Nashville from P'burgh, did you? :P

phw115wvwx

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 10:55:41 PM »
This new IntelliStar does look nice from a first impression.  However, it's hard for me to get excited about this debut as I don't expect to see it in person for perhaps a long time based on where I live. :(

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Tyler, I wonder where did you get that video from Nashville, TN? You didn't magically visit Nashville from P'burgh, did you? :P
We all know Tyler and his magical powers :bleh:

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 12:20:25 AM »
We all know Tyler and his magical powers :bleh:
:rofl2:
Well, if you're implying that he's a genie, i'll need to rub some old lamps and see if the magical Tyler Tomasino will grant my 3 wishes  :bleh:

Offline Joe The Dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 12:27:31 AM »
Will it be more regional then the older sd ones?

will comcast need one at each super head (that are used for 4-5 citys) in the Chicago area? Yes the SD starts list 3-4 on the same line in the forecast.

Can this be used for Weather scan HD? Weather scan dish network?

Will there be Dish network and Directv HD star? they have SD starts?

Krishnan

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 12:39:05 AM »

The new STAR looks neat IMO!!! :D

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 12:57:04 AM »

will comcast need one at each super head (that are used for 4-5 citys) in the Chicago area? Yes the SD starts list 3-4 on the same line in the forecast.

To answer some questions...
1. I don't know.
2. WeatherScan HD? I don't think they will be worrying about WeatherScan for a while.
3. They already have had their HD STAR for quite some time ;) (The sat. one? Correct me if I mixed something up here)

Offline Steve-O

• Diggin' storms since 1982
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 1823
  • SD Channel #: 23
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24778
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 01:34:16 AM »
I can see them doing some fine tuning on this before it's given the OK to go national.  I honestly like the LDL version better.  I do like the radar being visible during the entire local forecast.  The purple color isn't a good background choice though for the current conditions on the top left.  The maps look good but maybe they could be bigger since there's still enough space .  I also don't care for the weather animations that show during the forecast portion (the road with rain falling and lightning flashes). Maybe these are some of the things that will be addressed during the beta phase.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:38:33 AM by Steve-O »

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 02:13:58 AM »
I really do like the little videos durring the forecast. Better then the IntelliStar 1 in my opinion, but I wish that there would be sound effects to accompany them... like they did on the IStar 1 along time ago. I liked that much better. The background is ok... but it still needs some fine tuning to me. I also don't care for the transitioning. I did like the transitioning on the alpha. Some things that should be worked on for sure (Wow this whole post was very choppy :P )

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 03:52:18 AM »
Yes the idea is to have it more regional so headends don't need as many. I don't ever see a WeatherScan HD on cable. As it has been discussed many times, cable companies are short on bandwidth for the standard HD channels much less something like that.

There is already a national hd star. I doubt there will be anything different on Dish/Direct.

Offline Joe The Dragon

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »
Yes the idea is to have it more regional so headends don't need as many. I don't ever see a WeatherScan HD on cable. As it has been discussed many times, cable companies are short on bandwidth for the standard HD channels much less something like that.

There is already a national hd star. I doubt there will be anything different on Dish/Direct.
I  can see WeatherScan HD on Directv or dish they can get by with 1 - 3 to cover all the USA.

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
My first impressions of this show a LOT of wasted space.  TWC seems to be into that as of late.  I really don't like the video for scattered showers/thunderstorms in the 48-hr forecast.  I enjoy seeing the storm clouds like in the current LOT8s.  I also think it needs some sort of LDL text to scroll through in that unused space between the radar and the logo.  All the info that the blue LDL has would be perfect.  The information flies through really fast and since 50 different things are happening at once, people may not catch the information.  Time/temp next to the logo would be excellent.  Also, text titles and information are the same color...the information doesn't pop out.  Everything seems graphically hidden in plain sight.  You have the temp on the left, detailed conditions bottom center, sky condition top center, etc.  It's all over the place.  I'm not a fan of the purplish background behind the temps on the left.  I also really hate the hourly forecast...the orange pillars of doom are WAY too distracting.  A simple blue gradient bar would do just fine.

Tyler, do you have any other videos of it in action?  Various flavors, LDLs, etc?

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »
that isn't all that impressive.  :no:

Offline Kevin

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22207
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »
So, is this nationwide yet?

If not, will it become nationwide sometime tomorrow for the biggest cities first? Ex: Atlanta>Los Angeles>Las Vegas>Memphis. Or will it go East to West? Ex: Atlanta>Memphis>Las Vegas>Los Angeles?
I have my bets that Atlanta will be one of the beta test cities since The Weather Channel is headquartered here, and the area has gotten beta tests in the past.

Unfortunately, I don't have an HD TV at home to see if it does launch as a beta test here, so someone else who's in Atlanta will have to look out for it.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 11:35:17 AM »
So, is this nationwide yet?

If not, will it become nationwide sometime tomorrow for the biggest cities first? Ex: Atlanta>Los Angeles>Las Vegas>Memphis. Or will it go East to West? Ex: Atlanta>Memphis>Las Vegas>Los Angeles?
I have my bets that Atlanta will be one of the beta test cities since The Weather Channel is headquartered here, and the area has gotten beta tests in the past.

Unfortunately, I don't have an HD TV at home to see if it does launch as a beta test here, so someone else who's in Atlanta will have to look out for it.

According to Tyler...Atlanta, Nashville, Murfeesboro, and a few other select cities are going to get the Beta IntelliSTAR 2.