June 06, 2024, 05:58:52 AM

Author Topic: IntelliStar 2 Beta Launch  (Read 225133 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: IntelliStar 2 Beta Launch
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2010, 10:43:34 PM »
cause technology advances practically everyday.

But why should The Weather Channel spend money and resources on developing a new SD Star when standard television has, at least in the opinion of the government, become obsolete?  Even cable/satellite operators aren't going to be required to carry them for much longer (but probably will, at least for the foreseeable future, since HDTV sets are quite expensive).
Standard definition is not obsolete but analog is. The day you see the FCC ban 640x480 broadcasting is when SD will vanish  ;)
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2010, 04:39:08 AM »

But why should The Weather Channel spend money and resources on developing a new SD Star when standard television has, at least in the opinion of the government, become obsolete?  Even cable/satellite operators aren't going to be required to carry them for much longer (but probably will, at least for the foreseeable future, since HDTV sets are quite expensive).
Standard definition is not obsolete but analog is. The day you see the FCC ban 640x480 broadcasting is when SD will vanish  ;)
720x480... But I don't see that ever happening any time in the near future (10+ years)

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »
is there still any interest in the IS2? the thread has been dead lately

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2010, 12:57:45 PM »
Unlikely. Haven't heard anything about it. Not that many people I know know about TWC or are interested in it (outside of this forum).

The only thing wrong with the IS2 is that Jim Cantore raises his voices weirdly when reading the wind speed in the 36 hour forecast, and sometimes, there's no text on the 36 hour forecast. Other than that, it's pretty good.

And for those of you who use emulators, the IS2 background moves, which will make it harder to emulate.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:05:52 PM by TWC and Apple 4eva »
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »
It'll probably regain once more headends install the IS2. I'd wait until the end of the year

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »
And for those of you who use emulators, the IS2 background moves, which will make it harder to emulate.
Not necessarily if your a master  ;)
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »
It'll probably regain once more headends install the IS2. I'd wait until the end of the year
I have a feeling that you'll need to wait even longer than that.  I'm no expert with STARs, but I know that testing phases for anything new take a really long time.  I'm sure Martin or Tyler will let us know when they hear something new.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:02 AM »

The FCC has no power to ban a resolution. It will die the day the cable companies decide they need to ditch the SD channels to free up bandwidth. Cable companies are going to have a rough time ahead

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2010, 08:06:17 AM »
I have a feeling that you'll need to wait even longer than that.  I'm no expert with STARs, but I know that testing phases for anything new take a really long time.  I'm sure Martin or Tyler will let us know when they hear something new.
As Patrick said, it will take some time. Think XL and IntelliStar.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »
Tyler btw is having trouble getting on the site since the move. Nothing new that I have heard from him or anyone else. Slowly rolling out but its likely going to be many months before most people get it, if they get it at all. Remember too that your cable company has to actually request it.

Offline Steve-O

• Diggin' storms since 1982
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 1823
  • SD Channel #: 23
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24778
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2010, 12:02:57 AM »
Tyler btw is having trouble getting on the site since the move. Nothing new that I have heard from him or anyone else. Slowly rolling out but its likely going to be many months before most people get it, if they get it at all. Remember too that your cable company has to actually request it.

Is that because cable companies already have the local forecast on the SD version of the TWC?  I'm hoping that Time Warner decides to get it because I like watching the HD version but I have to flip to the SD version for the local forecast.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2010, 12:39:31 AM »

Is that because cable companies already have the local forecast on the SD version of the TWC?  I'm hoping that Time Warner decides to get it because I like watching the HD version but I have to flip to the SD version for the local forecast.
Probably! Plus cable companies have to pay for STARs. In the awesome economy and with cable companies struggling to upgrade their aging networks, I imagine some wont want to pay for it.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2010, 12:43:29 AM »

It's about money.  It costs money, and no small money at that, to install a WeatherStar system.  Since the SD channels already have a WeatherStar (I believe it's even a requirement that every cable operator that carries The Weather Channel have a WeatherStar, or at least have access to a nearby one), it's obviously a lower priority for them to get a second WeatherStar for the HD feed.  For the cable company, so long as it costs less for them, they really have no problem with you flipping from the HD channel to the SD channel (or to Weatherscan, also SD) for the local forecast.  Or they assume people will be happy with the national local forecast, or simply won't notice the difference at all.  The casual viewer probably couldn't care less, assuming he even knew what was going on in the first place.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »
Knowing how jammed packed the IS2 is i'd imagine TWC will be getting all sorts of requests from Comcast Headends.

Offline dandeson83

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 672
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028841
  • SD Channel #: 22
« Reply #164 on: October 13, 2010, 01:50:09 PM »
I saw yesterday that Midcontinent Communications in Moorhead MN / West Fargo N.D. now has an Intellistar 2 HD with Local on the 8s in HD.   :biggrin: