March 28, 2024, 04:45:38 AM

Author Topic: Major Hurricane Matthew  (Read 10093 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Major Hurricane Matthew
« on: September 30, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »
Surprised this hasn't gotten much attention, but Matthew is currently going through RI (Rapid Intensification). Just 24 hours ago Matthew was a tropical storm, now it's a Category 3 hurricane! :o

Matthew is expected to make a turn NNW towards Jamaica by possibly Monday and make landfall across Eastern Cuba by midweek next week. Beyond that remains some uncertainty, the most likely scenario at the moment is OTS (out to sea), however it's still possible Matthew could be a threat to the East Coast. Everyone living from Florida to Maine should keep a watchful eye out for Matthew next week.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
Re: Major Hurricane Matthew
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 01:46:04 PM »
2pm Advisory

...MATTHEW STRENGTHENS A LITTLE MORE JUST NORTH OF THE GUAJIRA PENINSULA...

2:00 PM EDT Fri Sep 30
Moving: WSW at 12 mph
Min pressure: 960 mb
Max sustained: 120 mph

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 09:59:04 PM »
He's slowly knocking the observations sites offline.
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »
Bryan Norcross overdid it with Matthew - big time! Yes, there are power outages and trees and power lines are down. But his statements of doom and gloom didn't pan out.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 05:01:11 PM »
Bryan Norcross overdid it with Matthew - big time! Yes, there are power outages and trees and power lines are down. But his statements of doom and gloom didn't pan out.

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. I hear St. Augustine, FL is nice right now. smh

Matthew has not been a non-event for many areas. Had FL,GA, and SC not of done mandatory evacuations this is what many residents who live along the beaches would have to deal with and I guarantee you the death toll would be more than 3 so far. There are similar conditions ongoing in Jacksonville and the GA coastline. The picture above is the reason why the media and the NHC hyped Matthew so much for fear of massive storm surge and flooding, not 100+ mph winds. The winds don't kill nearly as many people as the flooding and storm surge does.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. I hear St. Augustine, FL is nice right now. smh

Matthew has not been a non-event for many areas. Had FL,GA, and SC not of done mandatory evacuations this is what many residents who live along the beaches would have to deal with and I guarantee you the death toll would be more than 3 so far. There are similar conditions ongoing in Jacksonville and the GA coastline. The picture above is the reason why the media and the NHC hyped Matthew so much for fear of massive storm surge and flooding, not 100+ mph winds. The winds don't kill nearly as many people as the flooding and storm surge does.
I have family in Orlando. The statements of gloom and doom made by him and the NHC made me worry a lot about them and I worry a lot anyway and it just preyed on me. I did not turn out to be that bad in Orlando, in all honesty. In fact, none of my family there even lost power. However, yes of course that flooding by the storm surge in St. Augustine and other locations along the immediate coast was very bad. You're are correct, the highest percentage of hurricane injuries and fatalities comes from the waters, not from the winds. So, I have clarified my statement from my post yesterday. How bad is it now? Is it lashing Georgia and South Carolina as expected?

Also, my concept of Bryan Norcross is that he speaks mainly for south Florida and his former audience in that portion of the state, since he's famous for talking on the telephone with viewers during Hurricane Andrew's landfall 24 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:32:29 PM by Lightning »

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 11:14:58 PM »
I have family in Orlando. The statements of gloom and doom made by him and the NHC made me worry a lot about them and I worry a lot anyway and it just preyed on me. I did not turn out to be that bad in Orlando, in all honesty. In fact, none of my family there even lost power. However, yes of course that flooding by the storm surge in St. Augustine and other locations along the immediate coast was very bad. You're are correct, the highest percentage of hurricane injuries and fatalities comes from the waters, not from the winds. So, I have clarified my statement from my post yesterday. How bad is it now? Is it lashing Georgia and South Carolina as expected?

Also, my concept of Bryan Norcross is that he speaks mainly for south Florida and his former audience in that portion of the state, since he's famous for talking on the telephone with viewers during Hurricane Andrew's landfall 24 years ago.

I understand, some affects of Matthew didn't pan out exactly as NHC had anticipated for Central FL (Orlando area) and part of that is because Matthew didn't make the brief landfall in that portion of FL as the models were suggesting 36-48 hrs prior. In fact the models started shifting the track of Matthew's eye further east offshore (which did happen) Thursday afternoon which ultimately meant lesser impacts further inland for Orlando.

I've mainly been watching local media and as far as flooding goes it was very bad in places like Brunswick, Savannah, Tybee Island, etc. in GA during the height of the storm yesterday, but it seems like the flooding issue is resolving quickly since the winds shifted offshore (W winds) and is pushing a lot of the storm surge back out into the Atlantic after Matthew moved NE towards Charleston, SC. As far as wind damage (particularly on the beaches in these areas) I don't know how bad it was because as recent as this morning local media wasn't allowed to go out there and do reports because the police was barricading the roads.

I know the beach erosion in Jacksonville Beach was severe, there was lot of beach homes that looked like they were teetering on the edge of a cliff. I worry from what I saw this morning some of those houses may partially collapse because that's just how sharp the divide is in terms of where the beach erosion begins and ends.

Regarding Bryan Norcross, if he was hyping S. FL to have a greater impact from Matthew than the central and northern areas of FL then I completely agree with you he definitely blew it because that was never expected to be the case. I wouldn't know what he's been saying anyway since I don't have cable anymore. I was mainly talking about the whole news media in general. I think (and still think)it was a valid move to hype the concerns with Matthew specifically for those who lived on the immediate coastlines of FL/GA/SC. We have to remember Matthew  was the first major hurricane to affect the US since Hurricane Wilma in October 2005! That was reason alone to think people may be complacent and not take a Cat. 3/4 hurricane serious enough. However, our 11 year drought on a land falling major hurricane (Cat. 3 or higher) continues.

As tragic as the deaths and devastation is in Haiti, Cuba, and the Bahamas. I think the after effects of Matthew's eye going over SW Haiti and extreme eastern Cuba helped us more than I (and others) initially thought. People may have forgotten or didn't know but Matthew was a Cat. 5 (160 mph) at his peak for a short time last Friday (Sept. 30th) before it struck the SW tip of Haiti earlier this week. If Matthew had of managed to skirt perfectly between the open waters of Eastern Cuba and Western Haiti, there is no doubt in my mind Matthew would have been a Cat. 5 again while it was barely riding offshore the FL coast. The fact that it weakened to a Cat. 2 once it left Cuba and ramped back up to a Cat. 4 once it was in the Bahamas proves that so the actual outcome turned out to be a mixed blessing in disguise for the US.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 02:17:16 PM »

I understand, some affects of Matthew didn't pan out exactly as NHC had anticipated for Central FL (Orlando area) and part of that is because Matthew didn't make the brief landfall in that portion of FL as the models were suggesting 36-48 hrs prior. In fact the models started shifting the track of Matthew's eye further east offshore (which did happen) Thursday afternoon which ultimately meant lesser impacts further inland for Orlando.

I've mainly been watching local media and as far as flooding goes it was very bad in places like Brunswick, Savannah, Tybee Island, etc. in GA during the height of the storm yesterday, but it seems like the flooding issue is resolving quickly since the winds shifted offshore (W winds) and is pushing a lot of the storm surge back out into the Atlantic after Matthew moved NE towards Charleston, SC. As far as wind damage (particularly on the beaches in these areas) I don't know how bad it was because as recent as this morning local media wasn't allowed to go out there and do reports because the police was barricading the roads.

I know the beach erosion in Jacksonville Beach was severe, there was lot of beach homes that looked like they were teetering on the edge of a cliff. I worry from what I saw this morning some of those houses may partially collapse because that's just how sharp the divide is in terms of where the beach erosion begins and ends.

Regarding Bryan Norcross, if he was hyping S. FL to have a greater impact from Matthew than the central and northern areas of FL then I completely agree with you he definitely blew it because that was never expected to be the case. I wouldn't know what he's been saying anyway since I don't have cable anymore. I was mainly talking about the whole news media in general. I think (and still think)it was a valid move to hype the concerns with Matthew specifically for those who lived on the immediate coastlines of FL/GA/SC. We have to remember Matthew  was the first major hurricane to affect the US since Hurricane Wilma in October 2005! That was reason alone to think people may be complacent and not take a Cat. 3/4 hurricane serious enough. However, our 11 year drought on a land falling major hurricane (Cat. 3 or higher) continues.

As tragic as the deaths and devastation is in Haiti, Cuba, and the Bahamas. I think the after effects of Matthew's eye going over SW Haiti and extreme eastern Cuba helped us more than I (and others) initially thought. People may have forgotten or didn't know but Matthew was a Cat. 5 (160 mph) at his peak for a short time last Friday (Sept. 30th) before it struck the SW tip of Haiti earlier this week. If Matthew had of managed to skirt perfectly between the open waters of Eastern Cuba and Western Haiti, there is no doubt in my mind Matthew would have been a Cat. 5 again while it was barely riding offshore the FL coast. The fact that it weakened to a Cat. 2 once it left Cuba and ramped back up to a Cat. 4 once it was in the Bahamas proves that so the actual outcome turned out to be a mixed blessing in disguise for the US.
When not everything turns out like expected, it's easy to be hard on the people making those statements since hindsight is 20/20. Mr. Norcross put it better than the guy on the Fox News Channel, Shepard Smith.