June 04, 2024, 01:45:32 PM

Author Topic: Hurricane Tomas  (Read 5467 times)

phw115wvwx

Re: Hurricane Tomas
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »
Tomas will strengthen back to hurricane status as the wind shear is relaxing around it.  Winds are currently at 50 mph.  I really worry about Haiti taking a direct hit here if Tomas makes its northward turn as predicted.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
After becoming a depression, Tomas has regained tropical storm status. Although the storm is expected to take the same path as forecasted, the NHC looks like it threw the chances of Tomas regaining hurricane status out the window.
Tiddlywinks.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
After becoming a depression, Tomas has regained tropical storm status. Although the storm is expected to take the same path as forecasted, the NHC looks like it threw the chances of Tomas regaining hurricane status out the window.
Yeah, it got too much dry air in it earlier.  It's still going to be a big problem for Haiti and the other Caribbean islands due to mudslides and torrential rainfall.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Jim Cantore is going to be in Haiti covering this. According to one of his tweets 1.3 million are still living in tents. Hopefully this storm will move quick enough to avoid catastrophic damage

phw115wvwx

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 12:51:51 AM »
Haiti is now under a hurricane warning.  I don't know if Tomas will make it all the way there or not by the time it rolls through the western coast of Haiti, but it's looking more organized lately.  Winds are currently at 45 mph.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 01:05:42 AM »
Outflow is looking much better tonight. I think its very likely it will reach hurricane status. Guidance has been especially poor though with this system

phw115wvwx

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 03:25:41 AM »
I have some very bad news for Haiti.  Tomas appears to be strengthening, and winds are up to to 65 mph.  A reconnaissance flight is underway now, and it may find that Tomas is approaching hurricane status.  It looks like Tomas will simply split the gap between Cuba and Haiti, which means Haiti is in real trouble being on the right side.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 09:14:40 AM »
More bad news for Haiti: maximum sustained winds are 85 miles per hour. God, I hope these tent cities don't get blown away...
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 07:04:40 PM »
The center of circulation has already passed by most of Haiti, except the rain will still continue. Some of the southeast Bahamas may get the brunt of this unseasonably powerful system.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 12:29:55 AM »
I hope everyone in Haiti is alright...although I can't imagine tents withstanding hurricane-force winds. :cry: Hopefully things weren't as bad as predicted.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 02:04:21 AM »
I hope everyone in Haiti is alright...although I can't imagine tents withstanding hurricane-force winds. :cry: Hopefully things weren't as bad as predicted.
They weren't. Hurricane force winds stayed well off shore. 6 people were reported to have died from storm related conditions. I imagine that number pales in comparison to other health and environmental conditions. Haiti got lucky

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 08:30:28 AM »
They weren't. Hurricane force winds stayed well off shore. 6 people were reported to have died from storm related conditions. I imagine that number pales in comparison to other health and environmental conditions. Haiti got lucky
Good, at least not too many people died. 6 is nothing compared to the 100,000's back in January.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »
Good, at least not too many people died. 6 is nothing compared to the 100,000's back in January.
Indeed. Thank goodness the full strength of the winds did not hit

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 07:34:20 PM »
Tomas has lost tropical characteristics, and nothing else is stirring in the Atlantic. It looks like the hurricane season isn't going to spit out another storm for a while.
Tiddlywinks.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »
Tomas has lost tropical characteristics, and nothing else is stirring in the Atlantic. It looks like the hurricane season isn't going to spit out another storm for a while.
I was just about to type that statement. :P  Eight people died in western Haiti where the worst of Tomas was experienced, but that country certainly dodged a major bullet.  Let's hope everyone there is able to recover and continue moving forward.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:04:57 AM by phw115wvwx »