March 28, 2024, 06:15:34 AM

Author Topic: File open error  (Read 5052 times)

Offline TheWSXLFan816

• CINE: SonicFan101
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 1362
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
File open error
« on: August 02, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »
OMG THIS IS HAPPENING TO ME ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE!!!

affiliate id: sega101

Offline TWCKelby

• Owner of the TWC Archive wiki
  • Weatherscan Contributor
  • Owner of an IS1 and I2 or something
    • View Profile
    • TWC Archive - An Open TWC Wiki
  • Cable Provider: Blue Ridge Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 621
  • HD WxStar ID #: 11624
  • SD Channel #: 34
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23268
  • WxScan Ch. #: 218
  • WxScan ID #: 19874
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: File open error
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:27:38 PM »
Hi. I figured I'd add on to this post since I'm having the same problem with the emulator. Starting up the emulator on Windows 7 Pro (x64) will load the program, then throw up the file open error. The program runs as admin automatically, and the stuff in CINE is all configured as it should be. Compatibility mode just throws up a runtime error. Nothing in https://twctodayforums.com/forums/help-and-support/windows-7vistaxp-installation-issues-resolved/ works for me either. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

P.S. - My username in CINE is saxlover98, like on here.

Offline TWCKelby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 12:51:27 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but I think I found what might be causing the file open error, and I think it deserves it's own reply. All of the .pngs in C:\wsxl\local Windows say it can't open. It seems like they might be corrupt or something. Could that be the cause? And does anyone have a copy of the files in here I could try replacing the existing ones with to see if it works?

Offline danman5555

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:49:16 AM »
Personally, I'd recommend a full reinstall. The texture files should open just fine in normal conditions.

Offline TWCKelby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 08:30:25 PM »
Well, I did a full reinstall including making sure any files left behind by uninstallation were gone, and I still have the same problem. I even tried re-downloading the installer and running that, but same thing happened.

Offline WeatherSTAR

• Certified Cabbl Dealer™
    • View Profile
    • Triple C TWC YouTube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 1101
  • SD Channel #: 8
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22941
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:05:29 PM »
Traffic has been broken for quite a while now. If you put the traffic segment into the emulator's segment lineup, you need to remove it. I had the same issue until I removed traffic.

Offline TWCKelby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 08:27:03 AM »
Traffic isn't in my lineup. I had it in at first, but then removed it before I even built the config for the first time.

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
Traffic isn't in my lineup. I had it in at first, but then removed it before I even built the config for the first time.

I checked on your config. It appears there was a problem with the main observation site. I set this to 'Philadelphia' for you. I also removed Airport too, as I am in the process of rebuilding its data feed. I was then able to run the emulator properly. Check to see if your emulator starts up, and let me know. Thanks!

Offline TWCKelby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »

I checked on your config. It appears there was a problem with the main observation site. I set this to 'Philadelphia' for you. I also removed Airport too, as I am in the process of rebuilding its data feed. I was then able to run the emulator properly. Check to see if your emulator starts up, and let me know. Thanks!
I started up the emulator and got the exact same error that I posted a screenshot of before. The new configuration doesn't seem to make a difference in it. Thanks for checking that though :) I did add my own music to the playlist, but this was doing this since install, before I added music (if this info helps at all). It's funny because the emulator starts up to a black screen with that message, and the music plays fine.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:03:10 PM by saxlover98 »

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »

I started up the emulator and got the exact same error that I posted a screenshot of before. The new configuration doesn't seem to make a difference in it. Thanks for checking that though :) I did add my own music to the playlist, but this was doing this since install, before I added music (if this info helps at all). It's funny because the emulator starts up to a black screen with that message, and the music plays fine.

when you start the emulator, are you able to tell me if you see any background and/or status progress at the bottom of the window? if you are, what is the last status message you see at the bottom of the window before you get the error? Thanks!

Offline TWCKelby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »

when you start the emulator, are you able to tell me if you see any background and/or status progress at the bottom of the window? if you are, what is the last status message you see at the bottom of the window before you get the error? Thanks!
Well, the emulator starts up with that WeatherStar XL splash screen and shows it retrieving the data, then freezes for a half a minute trying to retrieve "Regional Satellite Map 1", then goes to a black screen with the music and the error. The whole thing from the window first appearing to the error is about 2 minutes, I'll edit this post later with a YouTube link to a recording of the program starting up once it's uploaded.

Edit: Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg0tfPBMF7w&feature=youtu.be
I haven't figured out yet how to embed videos on here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:32:14 PM by saxlover98 »

Offline TWCKelby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »
So, I know this is an old topic, but I've got a sort of update to my last post. I just tried installing the emulator on a new computer with completely different (and way better) specs than the other machine and I'm still getting the same error as I posted before. I downloaded a new copy of the installer as well. Is it possible I'm downloading a bad version of the installer?