April 19, 2024, 01:10:29 PM

Author Topic: Winter Storm Thread: 2011-12 Season  (Read 19468 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Winter Storm Thread: 2011-12 Season
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »
Definitely a healthy storm :yes: though it beats me why TWC isnt preempting when they have preempted on weaker storms in the past... :whistling:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2012, 08:25:57 PM »
Definitely a healthy storm :yes: though it beats me why TWC isnt preempting when they have preempted on weaker storms in the past... :whistling:

TWC's priorities are very screwed up these days. It's no surprise. :rolleyes:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »

From my point of view (correct me if you think I am biased), TWC never highlights the "Deep South" (mainly Texas and Oklahoma) as much as they need to.  If this situation were happening in the southeast or northeast, I bet you they would pre-empt and have weather.com in "red" mode. <_<

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »

From my point of view (correct me if you think I am biased), TWC never highlights the "Deep South" (mainly Texas and Oklahoma) as much as they need to.  If this situation were happening in the southeast or northeast, I bet you they would pre-empt and have weather.com in "red" mode. <_<

No, I don't think you're being bias. It's all about what will pull in ratings. I'm sure if it was a blizzard going on in TX/OK instead of just the usual snowstorm they would be preempting right now. Heck, I was surprised they pr emptied for that snowstorm that hit Chicago last month. I guess they only did that because it was the first major winter storm for that area all winter at that point and this has been a boring winter as far as snow is concerned east of the Rockies.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2012, 11:04:16 PM »
I'm doubting it since the low will be 33°, but I wonder if anything happens that could change this forecast to move it further east into my area? Hmm... Forecast is for some icy/sleet just a couple miles away from my location for the 7AM hour.
EDIT: Maybe a touch of winter precip isn't too far out of the question this year?  :thinking:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:06:34 PM by Donovan »

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2012, 11:31:40 PM »
Incredible!!  The ground here has turned white in a matter of 15 minutes! :o  It's dark outside, so it's hard to see how much is covered, but I do see the white stuff.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 05:22:49 AM »
Incredible!!  The ground here has turned white in a matter of 15 minutes! :o  It's dark outside, so it's hard to see how much is covered, but I do see the white stuff.

Were the flakes big or the snowfall rates heavy? I know I read in a MD issued by the SPC that some areas in TX/OK would see 1/2 inch an hour rates. I wanna get a feel of how things might play out here in my backyard. Also I noticed looking at the radar trends, the precip is moving east hours faster than modeled to. It's already affecting W/TN and Northern MS. I expect it to be in N. GA somewhere in the 2pm -5pm hour.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »

Were the flakes big or the snowfall rates heavy? I know I read in a MD issued by the SPC that some areas in TX/OK would see 1/2 inch an hour rates. I wanna get a feel of how things might play out here in my backyard. Also I noticed looking at the radar trends, the precip is moving east hours faster than modeled to. It's already affecting W/TN and Northern MS. I expect it to be in N. GA somewhere in the 2pm -5pm hour.

Honestly, it was hard to tell because it was dark outside.  However, I think we got a heavier snowfall rate (a whopping 1 inch or so). :P

Since all of this happened overnight, I am not 100% sure on the details, but I don't think we got much ice like what was originally expected.  Everything is pretty much all a slushy snow (that's already melting).

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »
Carl Parker - "one of the reliable models indicate a stronger storm for the Mid Atlantic coming up to Southern New England Sunday night into Monday, we could be could be talking about substantial snow for Hartford and Boston."

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
Carl Parker - "one of the reliable models indicate a stronger storm for the Mid Atlantic coming up to Southern New England Sunday night into Monday, we could be could be talking about substantial snow for Hartford and Boston."

Well this reliable model jumped from a southern cutter to a new england storm in 4 runs.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »
From what I've seen on the models, it'll probably be only a rain and wind storm for me.  :thumbdown:
But hey, I like wind storms.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »
Nor'easter next week?

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »
Hopefully this turns out to be a powerful nor'easter. I hoping for a strong wind storm out of this one.  A ESE wind off the ocean would be perfect for high winds here. Let's get a repeat of the March 13th, 2010 nor'easter.  :)

Sidenote: I'm kinda weird. During high wind storms, I sit by my windows and watch the trees sway, sometimes for hours.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

phw115wvwx

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2012, 10:38:09 PM »
You're all looking at the GFS model though, which has been notoriously flip-flopping lately.  Check out the European model, and you'll see it takes this system to the south and harmlessly out to sea.  It's too far out to predict a winter storm, but I'd watch to see which of the models finally concedes to the other.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:38 AM »
0Z Euro was a pretty big hit for VA. Not much precip north of Maryland though. GFS has been all over the place. It's 0z run is much different than even earlier yesterday. ~sigh~ Model inconsistency ftw!