April 27, 2024, 03:39:00 PM

Author Topic: Severe Weather Season 2011/Severe Wx thread  (Read 64547 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Severe Weather Season 2011/Severe Wx thread
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »
Incredible footage from the EF4 that struck St Louis' Airport. Here's a video form someone who was in the terminal at the time:
St. Louis Airport Tornado

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »
I saw about an hour ago that the rating for the St. Louis tornado is EF4, with winds of 166-200 mph.

Impressive! :o It's a good thing the people were in a sturdy building like an airport. With a tornado this big, surely some less strong buildings would be completely demolished.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2011, 11:51:54 PM »
Impressive! :o It's a good thing the people were in a sturdy building like an airport. With a tornado this big, surely some less strong buildings would be completely demolished.
The only quip I have about that terminal is that it was composed of many glass windows.  It had more glass than quite a few other airport terminals, and half of those panes were shattered by the tornado.  It's a good thing no one was severely hurt by the flying glass.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2011, 08:17:21 AM »
The only quip I have about that terminal is that it was composed of many glass windows.  It had more glass than quite a few other airport terminals, and half of those panes were shattered by the tornado.  It's a good thing no one was severely hurt by the flying glass.

Was the airport staff not informed about the tornado warning or a possible tornado coming towards the airport? I mean it seems kinda stupid that they waited until the storm got there and then started yelling for everyone to head downstairs. Those windows could have shattered at any moment while people were standing there at awe at the storm and a lot more people would have been injured or killed.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »

Was the airport staff not informed about the tornado warning or a possible tornado coming towards the airport? I mean it seems kinda stupid that they waited until the storm got there and then started yelling for everyone to head downstairs. Those windows could have shattered at any moment while people were standing there at awe at the storm and a lot more people would have been injured or killed.

That's what news reporters are saying...that "supposedly" no one knew there was going to be a tornado. But that seems a little less than truthful, especially since this is the midwest and certainly computer models or something had to predict what was coming. :thinking:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
There was a tornado warning for that storm 34 minutes in advance, and the airport staff did tell the passengers in the terminal to "get out, get out" just before it arrived.  The problem is that most people aren't always aware of the weather outside and if they're in a warning when in a huge building like a mall, airport, Walmart, etc.  Unless you have a phone with a warning app, a portable weather radio, or access to a TV in the building, how would you know that a tornado is bearing down on you?  It's a real concern the NWS worries about lately.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »
There was a tornado warning for that storm 34 minutes in advance, and the airport staff did tell the passengers in the terminal to "get out, get out" just before it arrived.  The problem is that most people aren't always aware of the weather outside and if they're in a warning when in a huge building like a mall, airport, Walmart, etc.  Unless you have a phone with a warning app, a portable weather radio, or access to a TV in the building, how would you know that a tornado is bearing down on you?  It's a real concern the NWS worries about lately.

It would be kind of nice to have an annoucement over the PA system indicating the warning at the time the NWS issued it. I don't see how difficult this would be. Even though some warnings don't always mean a tornado will hit and do damage, it is still a good idea to be aware of them immediately. That way, airport officials would not have to scramble everyone to safety at the last minute.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »
Keep in mind the tornado struck at night. If it happened during the day, the tornado could've been spotted and people could've scrambled for safety but since it's night, nobody knew what would happen

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
Regardless of whether the tornado hit at night or not, there still could've been a warning announced over the PA. That way, it isn't necessary to have to get a sighting of it before evacuating people.

Either way, what happened, happened. Hopefully the St. Louis airport staff will prepare better next time something like this happens.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2011, 05:56:46 PM »

It would be kind of nice to have an annoucement over the PA system indicating the warning at the time the NWS issued it. I don't see how difficult this would be. Even though some warnings don't always mean a tornado will hit and do damage, it is still a good idea to be aware of them immediately. That way, airport officials would not have to scramble everyone to safety at the last minute.

That was the point I was making too Andy, the Tornado Warning was out more than 30 minutes before the storm hit Lambert Airport. That's plenty of time for the Airport officials to have taken action to evacuate the passengers to a lower area away from windows.

Keep in mind the tornado struck at night. If it happened during the day, the tornado could've been spotted and people could've scrambled for safety but since it's night, nobody knew what would happen

True, but that's why the NWS issues Tornado Warnings so people will know that there's a possibility a storm is producing a tornado because it's being detected on radar. Even it one doesn't occur or isn't spotted by the public/storm chasers it's better to be safe than sorry.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »

I sure airport officials got the word out, but people are gonna do what they are gonna do. You can't make everyone take cover.
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2011, 08:13:06 AM »
We are facing yet another possible large-scale tornado outbreak over the next few days. A MDT risk is in effect Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, with all days being cited with an elevated tornado threat.

Today's Tornado Risk: Much of Arkansas
15% Chance of a tornado within 25 miles of a pint, 10% chance of a significant tornado.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »
We are facing yet another possible large-scale tornado outbreak over the next few days. A MDT risk is in effect Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, with all days being cited with an elevated tornado threat.

Today's Tornado Risk: Much of Arkansas
15% Chance of a tornado within 25 miles of a pint, 10% chance of a significant tornado.
Wow, it's unusual to see a moderate risk issued for 3 days in a row plus.

I have a feeling that parts of the MS valley may be upgraded to a high risk for Tuesday. There already is a 45% risk for severe tunderstorms in that area.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »
Don't forget about sports events. Anyone remember the SEC basketball tournament played at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta in March 2008 when that tornado hit? That game went into overtime because a Mississippi State (State was playing Alabama) player hit a 3-point shot. If that shot had been missed, people would have been leaving and heading right out into it.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2011, 12:28:39 AM »
Though its not with fronts, weve been recently getting a lot of popup storms in Florida like its summertime  :blink:  took this video earlier..

Strong Storms Over Temple Terrace, Florida - 4/25/2011 (Time Lapse) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~