Weather Discussion > Severe Weather

Severe Weather Season 2011/Severe Wx thread

(1/56) > >>

Lightning:
As all of you well know, the 2011 spring severe weather season is right around the corner and I have a feeling that for most, it could be an active one, not just for the plains "tornado alley" but for "dixie alley" and other tornado-prone portions of the country, as well. I checked out the climate predictions center's site and there are indications that La Nina is beginning to weaken and when La Nina is in a weakening phase during the spring, it tends to be active. At least that's what my experience has been. This happened during the La Nina's of 1989, 2000 and 2008.

Donovan:
I certainly hope that SC can have much more severe weather this spring/summer. I can count on one hand how many times we had severe wx last year. As long as its just wind/hail/hvy rain/ and lightning, none of that tornado stuff, will do me some good.

Mr. Rainman:
Wow, isn't funny that the two deadliest tornado outbreaks in recent history occurred within a year or less of a weakening La Nina pattern? There was the May 3, 1999 outbreak, and then, of course, the Super Tuesday Outbreak, on February 5-6 of 2008. It makes you wonder who will get slammed over the next couple months and how hard.

If there's an imminent outbreak, I'll definitely try to get the SPC outlooks and what not posted. In fact, in correlation with this tab (with permission from TWCC_Lightning), I'd like to start a sister thread that just contains convective outlook and warning maps, self-updating.

Mr. Rainman:
Another outbreak is supposed to occur Sunday into Monday.

Donovan:
Will the outbreak tomorrow and Monday be worse than thursdays/fridays?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version