March 28, 2024, 05:40:26 PM

Author Topic: Severe Weather Season 2011/Severe Wx thread  (Read 63773 times)

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Severe Weather Season 2011/Severe Wx thread
« on: February 15, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »
As all of you well know, the 2011 spring severe weather season is right around the corner and I have a feeling that for most, it could be an active one, not just for the plains "tornado alley" but for "dixie alley" and other tornado-prone portions of the country, as well. I checked out the climate predictions center's site and there are indications that La Nina is beginning to weaken and when La Nina is in a weakening phase during the spring, it tends to be active. At least that's what my experience has been. This happened during the La Nina's of 1989, 2000 and 2008.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Severe Weather Season 2011/Severe Wx thread
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »
I certainly hope that SC can have much more severe weather this spring/summer. I can count on one hand how many times we had severe wx last year. As long as its just wind/hail/hvy rain/ and lightning, none of that tornado stuff, will do me some good.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »
Wow, isn't funny that the two deadliest tornado outbreaks in recent history occurred within a year or less of a weakening La Nina pattern? There was the May 3, 1999 outbreak, and then, of course, the Super Tuesday Outbreak, on February 5-6 of 2008. It makes you wonder who will get slammed over the next couple months and how hard.

If there's an imminent outbreak, I'll definitely try to get the SPC outlooks and what not posted. In fact, in correlation with this tab (with permission from TWCC_Lightning), I'd like to start a sister thread that just contains convective outlook and warning maps, self-updating.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:06:59 PM »
Another outbreak is supposed to occur Sunday into Monday.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
Will the outbreak tomorrow and Monday be worse than thursdays/fridays?

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »
These current major severe weather outbreaks are certainly a warning for later in March through June.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
To answer Donovan, the outbreak is supposed to occur in the same area, but cover a wider swath of land. The earlier outbreak hit East Arkansas and West Tennessee. This outbreak should impact the same area, except farther into the Tennessee and even affecting parts of Missouri.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:27:39 AM »
Will the outbreak tomorrow and Monday be worse than thursdays/fridays?

It's certainly going to be worse here if TWC is right, they're using the term Strong Thunderstorms in their forecast here. That's an upgrade from Thunderstorms/Wind the past couple of days, looks like it's a damaging wind event for us going by them. Our NWS office has been up in the clouds daydreaming as usual. :rolleyes: Now I see this morning they're saying a 80% chance of Severe T' Storms that's a far cry from the showers I saw yesterday.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 01:20:31 PM »
A moderate risk is out from SPC for today and tomorrow across a good portion of the TN and OH river valleys.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »
weather.com says T-storms early Monday night. I hope they get here before everyone is sleeping.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 11:10:04 PM »

It's certainly going to be worse here if TWC is right, they're using the term Strong Thunderstorms in their forecast here. That's an upgrade from Thunderstorms/Wind the past couple of days, looks like it's a damaging wind event for us going by them. Our NWS office has been up in the clouds daydreaming as usual. :rolleyes: Now I see this morning they're saying a 80% chance of Severe T' Storms that's a far cry from the showers I saw yesterday.
There are using the term Strong Thunderstorms for the forecast here, too. On the local on the 8s, it says "Variable clouds with Strong Thunderstorms".

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »

There are using the term Strong Thunderstorms for the forecast here, too. On the local on the 8s, it says "Variable clouds with Strong Thunderstorms".

Not only could we see severe weather today, but if we see some sunshine, we might tie or break a record high today! Just saw the record high screen on my IntelliStar, the forecast is 77°, the record is 78° it'll be very close.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 03:08:21 PM »

If there's an imminent outbreak, I'll definitely try to get the SPC outlooks and what not posted. In fact, in correlation with this tab (with permission from TWCC_Lightning), I'd like to start a sister thread that just contains convective outlook and warning maps, self-updating.
That is perfectly all right with me. I'm all for it.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »
Severe weather is now moving into my area.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BIRMINGHAM HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... JEFFERSON COUNTY IN CENTRAL ALABAMA... TUSCALOOSA COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL ALABAMA...

* UNTIL 315 PM CST

* AT 231 PM CST... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDICATED A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL... AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM WEST JEFFERSON TO 5 MILES SOUTHWEST OF BRYANT DENNY STADIUM... AND MOVING EAST AT 60 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... HUEYTOWN... GARDENDALE... FULTONDALE... FAIRFIELD... BIRMINGHAM... BESSEMER... PINSON-CLAY-CHALKVILLE AND HOMEWOOD.

THIS INCLUDES... INTERSTATE 65 EXIT NUMBERS 250 THROUGH 282... INTERSTATE 459 EXIT NUMBERS 1 THROUGH 33... US 78 EXIT NUMBERS 81 THROUGH 91... INTERSTATE 20 EXIT NUMBERS 62 THROUGH 140... INTERSTATE 59 EXIT NUMBERS 130 THROUGH 143...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A TORNADO WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE WARNED AREA. TORNADOES CAN DEVELOP QUICKLY FROM SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS. ALTHOUGH NOT IMMEDIATELY LIKELY... IF A TORNADO IS SPOTTED... ACT QUICKLY AND MOVE TO A PLACE OF SAFETY INSIDE A STURDY STRUCTURE... SUCH AS A BASEMENT OR SMALL INTERIOR ROOM.

&&

TO REPORT SEVERE WEATHER... CALL               1-800-856-0758       

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »
Wow...just, wow.

Chattanooga got hit with a tornado warning during the middle of the school day. The weather station here on campus recorded a wind gust of 52.8 mph. Power outages and a building collapse were reported downtown. A tornado was supposedly reported in downtown Chattanooga, but there has been no confirmed report.

In other words....AWESOME!
Tiddlywinks.