Weather Discussion > Forecasting

Ask The Weather Expert!

(1/25) > >>

lfmusiclover:
Got a weather question? Ask our very own meteorologist, Patrick! He is our newest member, he has a Master's degree, and has graciously allowed us to start this thread. So if you've got a question, he's got an answer!

Also, I know that Kyle (wxmancanada) and Chuck also have degrees and expertise in weather, so if either of you would like to interject your knowledge, feel free!

TWCToday:
This isnt really weather related but related to meteorology.  I am about to enter my senior year of high school. What classes should I take to better prepare myself if I want to enter the field of meteorology?

phw115wvwx:
Hi, Martin!  Meteorology is a heavy application of mathematics and physics.  So, I would strongly urge you to take some form of a calculus class to prep yourself for college calculus courses.  If you're not up to the calculus level yet, finish off any remaining math subjects that you haven't completed such as algebra II and trigonometry.  I would also take physics as that will introduce you to simple concepts and laws of motion that you'll need to know before advancing into more difficult subjects in college.  If your school doesn't offer physics, then try a chemistry class as there are a few relevant applications to the weather.  I had to take one semester of chemistry, two semesters of physics, and four semesters of calculus just to meet the requirements!  Anything that you can do now before college to build up your base of knowledge in these subjects is a big plus. ;)  Good luck, and remember that even when it gets stressful from these classes during college, your passion about the weather is what will help you prevail! B)

TWCToday:
Thank you so much for that information!!! It difficult to get straight answers on subjects like this. Thankfully I only require two courses to get my advanced diploma next year so it gives me the option to take the classes that will best help me in the future. I will defiantly peruse A.P Physics and A.P Calculus next school year. Thanks for the useful information and support! :happy:

Mike M:
As much as I want to be a weather forecaster, I can never get myself into an AP or even a Level 2 course. I've never even taken algebra 1 yet since it's not available in my appropriate level. Hopefully I'll end up taking it and other important math courses before I graduate in two years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version