April 27, 2024, 09:24:23 AM

Author Topic: Ball Lightning  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Ball Lightning
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
I've heard about this before. Does it really exist and how can this kind of lightning form? I think that would be a neat sight to see if lightning really did strike in that kind of form

phw115wvwx

Re: Ball Lightning
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:37:50 PM »
I've heard about this before. Does it really exist and how can this kind of lightning form? I think that would be a neat sight to see if lightning really did strike in that kind of form
Very little is known about this phenomenon as it's so rare and unpredictable.  It's possible that ball lightning really doesn't exist and is caused by something else that can't be explained yet.  There are plenty of stories about it, but nothing has ever been truly documented that would make sense scientifically.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
i haz The Handy Weather Answer Book and there was a small section about that.

Offline P71nnacle

• Ultimate Member
  • Penn State Alum '10
    • View Profile
    • Rarely used Xanga
  • HD Channel #: 815
  • HD WxStar ID #: ---
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22420
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:28:37 AM »
It actually does exist....I've seen it before, as a manifestation of bead lightning. It's strange and really catches your eye, because the separate beads kind of split the bolt up. A few of them flickered about a half-second before the rest of the bolt. It is believed that bead lightning and ball lightning are connected by more than simply being lightning. The stories about the balls flying through windows and such are probably wives' tales, but I think bead and ball lightning are connected, and I will swear upon my TWCToday account that I've seen bead lightning on several occasions.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:02:44 AM »