March 28, 2024, 01:36:53 PM

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 17421 times)

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 51
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 09:43:13 AM »
That is an old version of the radar that used to be on weather.com's Gold site. It was replaced awhile back with the new Virtual Earth-based radar that you see now. We don't have control over that, it was replaced by TWC.
What about the satellite radar with no overlay? Has that one been replaced as well?

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 04:28:11 AM »
i dont understand what you mean "with no overlay"..
when TWC transfered from the old maps to the new maps, my emulator seemlessly worked with the new maps without any configuration, as with them now being Bing maps!

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2009, 06:16:22 PM »
I mean the radar in your video that appears around 1:50. I was asking if that one had been replaced.

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »
I was reading another post and saw something about a satellite weatherscan to go with the emulator. I think thats an excellent idea and its not like you need my help at all but i have the image overlays for all of the regions that I scaled down to 640 x 480 if you wanted them. I didnt include "At a Glance" but I can do those too if you want. Here's a link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2mzzxnmzdvn/WxScan%20Satellite.zip (I also inculed a txt file of how I think it works)  :biggrin:

Edit: Sorry the images were transparent before. I dont know how they lost their transparancy.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:35:56 AM by Bolt96 »

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 11:10:26 AM »
Very cool...thanks for posting that!  I loved that era of TWC. 

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »
I have looked at all the weatherscan videos I could find and compared them to the emulator and I've still had a hard time of coming up with suggestions, but here is a compilation of any suggestions I could come up with:

-I think the font for the LAS bulletin is slightly different from what i could tell from the videos of WSL.

-On the "up next" screen, the package that the arrow pointed to was white and any other packages were yellow

-For the "36hr Forecast", (1.) It said a city name at the top instead of saying "National Weather Service"
(2.)I think the font of the forecast was different compared to the official WSL , including the size difference between the yellow text and the white text if that makes any sense (3.) Instead of saying "Saturday" or "Saturday Night", the real WSL just said "Tommorrow" or "Tommorrow Night"

-As for packages I noticed a Golf package and a package called Airport (not similar to "Aviation" currently in the emulator) if those packages could be implemented into the emulator. Here are some photos:

-And this is not a big deal at all but I usually run the emulator in fullscreen (aka 640x480 resolution) and the borders usually are just on one side of the screen so do you think you could make the border could be optional?

:D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:31:46 PM by Bolt96 »

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2010, 11:27:08 AM »
UPDATE 4/25/10:
Alright, I have done some more research and I have more accurate suggestions. (Sorry I didnt just edit my last post but I wanted to go in full edit mode.)

My first suggestion is about the fonts. Now I believe weatherscan used the "Akzidenz Grotesk Medium" set for the fonts; Medium, Medium Condensed, and Medium Extended. I have created a few images in powerpoint using the fonts listed above.

In the CC picture below, I used Medium Extended for the clock, conditions on the left, and the city name.

In the second CC picture below, I also used Medium Extended for the city names.

In the 36 hour picture below, I used Medium for the description, and Medium Extended for the city name and time of day.

For the Almanac, I used Medium Extended for eveything besides the day of the week.

And for the intro screen, I used Medium Extended for the message.

My only other suggestion right now is about the transitions. If you could slow down the faded transitions from slide to slide, and take out the black transitions when going from the Local Doppler to the CC, and Local Doppler to 36hr I think that would be better.