March 19, 2024, 12:33:51 AM

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 17371 times)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2008, 11:05:10 AM »
Just throwing this out there: Might be a good idea to do away with the Hardware fingerprint thing. People reformat and stuff, and it's kind of a hassle (I assume) for you.
Well in fact we plan to revamp that a bit. It will be worked into the config server so that there will no longer be a need to wait for us to issue a key.

Offline wstarcraze

• Give us realtime observations! NOT HIRAD GUESSES!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: Digital HD Channel 619
  • SD Channel #: 15
  • WxScan Ch. #: I wish I had it but for now...nope.
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 10:28:34 PM »
The XL V.1 Version of Weatherscan had animated icons

The version of the XL that this program emulates (XL v.2) had the animated icons discontinued.
Wish I had a WeatherSTAR 4000. Brings back memories.

Offline wstarcraze

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 11:59:23 AM »
Can there be an option to enter multiple zip codes for the traffic incidients so it provides more information for multiple areas/highways/etc. nearby.

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 12:13:43 PM »
Can there be an option to enter multiple zip codes for the traffic incidients so it provides more information for multiple areas/highways/etc. nearby.

the current configuration for the traffic reports allow any incident reported in a radius of approx. 10 miles to show. i do not believe it is necessary to provide multiple zip codes, however the zip code is not restricting only to your town, its just centering the radius.

Offline wstarcraze

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »
Oh.  :pinch:

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Is there a specific format you need to make the icons move?  If I was able to get the .gifs of the icons, I could make them whatever format.

:foolish:

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
Now, I know that there is a bulletins page for watches/warnings/advisories, but is there currently, or could there easily be, a page that is inserted between each of the standard pages (local conditions, aviation, etc.) when there is an alert issued for the local area or that of which you choose?  Perhaps there could be an option to either show a map of the area with the current alerts or show the bulletins page with the text of what is happening from the NWS.  Maybe both?  Just throwing it out there.

Is there any interest for storm reports?  That may be an option to show.

Also, it's purely semantics but I was wondering, is it possible to add a space between the wind direction and wind speed, i.e. W15 to W 15 (on both the current conditions and regional observations)?

I was also wondering/hoping if/that the program would also remove or overwrite the images that are not being used and are old.  Is this in the program?  If not, could it be easily added?

I'm thoroughly enjoying the emulator and I appreciate the time and effort that goes into creating an excellent piece of programming!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:14:17 AM by tuez13 »

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »
I think I touched on this in another thread, but I was thinking about it again this afternoon and thought it would be pertinent as a suggestion. 

To help users get the most accurate local forecast for their area, would it be possible to utilize the NWS spot forecast that they put out on their websites via entering your zip code?  Would that make it easier for the emulator to grab all the information from one spot for local current conditions, almanac, forecast and 5-day as well while getting it for a spot location of your choosing?  This might also be an easy way of accessing local watches/warnings/advisories as well since they're automatically listed on the site in order of severity. 

I'm just hoping to add in all kind of features to continue to make the program versatile and amazing!

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 51
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2009, 06:57:51 AM »
I agree with tuez13 on that suggestion, but I also have a few small suggestions myself:

~I think it would be nice if the radars were changed to make them look more similar to the ones they used on wxscan
~If its not a lot of trouble, an option to go fullscreen would be cool (something like right-click|fullscreen )
~I also think it would be cool if you could put the actual voiceovers in, (not to say whoevers voice that was in there was bad :happy: ), but I  did manage to get my hands on a good quality version of the second voicever (The forecast for your area) if you wanted it, and maybe if you or someone else could find the first one (Your current condtions) and put them in, then that would be awesomel!  :dance:  :worship:

Other than that I think the emulator is excellent!!  :clap:  :clap:

Offline wstarcraze

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 04:31:14 PM »
If you look at a real WXScan vid it shows that on the regional obs screen that the big text (NW) is in alignment with the small wind wording and that the numbers are spaced away from the lettering.

Possibly make that fix to the emulator?

Offline wstarcraze

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 01:28:37 PM »
Oh and for the outdoor activity segment, can it show spring, summer, fall, and winter info instead of just autumn info?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I was wondering, would it be OK to change my CINE name from TWCFanChris to just Zach because I don't go by that name anymore and since my name is Zach not Chris? :P
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 11:44:28 PM »
Oh and for the outdoor activity segment, can it show spring, summer, fall, and winter info instead of just autumn info?
It's already showing autumn data? We're barely into summer! :o

Offline BOLT96

• ---
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 51
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I agree with tuez13 on that suggestion, but I also have a few small suggestions myself:

~I think it would be nice if the radars were changed to make them look more similar to the ones they used on wxscan
~If its not a lot of trouble, an option to go fullscreen would be cool (something like right-click|fullscreen )
~I also think it would be cool if you could put the actual voiceovers in, (not to say whoevers voice that was in there was bad :happy: ), but I  did manage to get my hands on a good quality version of the second voicever (The forecast for your area) if you wanted it, and maybe if you or someone else could find the first one (Your current condtions) and put them in, then that would be awesomel!  :dance:  :worship:

Other than that I think the emulator is excellent!!  :clap:  :clap:

I was was watching a video posted by Brian on youtube of an early version of the emualator and I think all of the radars in that video were almost exactly like the ones in the real wxscan, so I think maybe an option to choose between the radars that are currently in the emulator and the radars that were in the video would be nice.  :yes: Btw this is the video I was talking about:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2009, 12:38:46 AM »
That is an old version of the radar that used to be on weather.com's Gold site. It was replaced awhile back with the new Virtual Earth-based radar that you see now. We don't have control over that, it was replaced by TWC.