March 18, 2024, 10:28:10 PM

Author Topic: Emulator Additions  (Read 3026 times)

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Emulator Additions
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:39:49 AM »
I noticed that there was solicitation for things to potentially add to the emulator.  I'd like to mention a couple to hopefully get the ideas flowing.

(Changes/Updates)
I checked my sunrise/sunset data and the times were, in fact, incorrect in the emulator, along with the moon phases/dates (which I know must be entered manually (which my first post refers to).  The emulator says 5:55AM-5:29PM when the actual is 7:51AM-7:27PM (according to NWS).  Is there a way to make it more automated to grab the times automatically?  The moon phase dates are off as well.

The icons don't show up for blowing snow (icon 15), heavy snow (icon 42).  I also noticed it had N/A for light rain/mist (icon 9) & fog, N/A for smoke (icon 19 or 22) and it was showing N/A for snow (icon 16).  I think it wasn't grabbing the snow with wind icon, either, for when it's windy (icon 43), light snow (icon 14) and flurries (icon 13).  When the conditions said 'flurries' the icon was showing up N/A.

Now, I know that there is the potential for a bulletins page for watches/warnings/advisories, but is there currently, or could there easily be, a page that is inserted between each of the standard pages (local conditions, aviation, etc.) when there is an alert issued for the local area or that of which you choose?  Perhaps there could be an option to either show a map of the area with the current alerts or show the bulletins page with the text of what is happening from the NWS.  Maybe both?  Just throwing it out there.

Addition - Is there any interest for storm reports?  That may be an option to show (when they are submitted for the area, a screen with text is inserted once through the rotation).

Also, it's purely semantics but I was wondering, is it possible to add a space between the wind direction and wind speed, i.e. W15 to W 15 (on both the current conditions and regional observations)?

Addition - I was also wondering/hoping if/that the program would also remove or overwrite the images that are not being used and are old.  Is this in the program?  If not, could it be easily added?

I have noticed that the seasonal page has been stuck on the fall outdoors page since I started using the emulator.  Perhaps an update so the seasonal page changes to whichever season we are currently in.

Addition - LDL.  Pure awesomeness.  I'd love to see it in the program.

Addition - Ability to choose more locations for currents/forecast/5-day.  For me, there are no 5-day forecasts anywhere near my tri-state location so I have it set to Las Vegas to allow for a proper build.

Addition - More screens to choose from.  Pollen/allergy index?  Severe risk day 1 (when there is something to show), visible satellite (during the day), watch/warning/advisory map (when there's something to show).

Addition - Ability to change "versions" as mentioned here

Attached are some new moons I made for the almanac page.  Feel free to use 'em  :)

Addition - Regional currents (map), forecast (map)

Addition - More themes (I have two ready to go, hopefully more on the way)

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure more will come to me after I post it.  I hope these are feasible.  Thanks for the great work!

Offline tuez13

• View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
Re: Emulator Additions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:58:29 AM »
So, it has been a long time since I have seen any new information on upcoming emulator changes/additions so I thought I would hit it again.  I'd also like to know what other peoples' thoughts are on additions/changes for the program.  Also, what's up with CINE lately?

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:47:47 AM »
Updates are in the works for the future. CINE is down for a few

Offline tuez13

• View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »
WOO!!  Glad to hear that, Martin!  Thanks for the update and I look forward to seeing what's new.  Any idea of when we can expect the updates as of now?

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:51:34 AM »
this is a good thread .. it gives me an angle of attack for some things that need to be fixed.. i know its been awhile since this thread has been active, but i gotta start somewhere!

Offline tuez13

• View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 05:48:50 PM »
SaWEEEEEEET!  Thanks for checking it out.  I really hope you can utilize many of my suggestions.  Great work so far!