May 14, 2024, 05:11:03 AM

Author Topic: What radio stations do you listen to and why?  (Read 4320 times)

Offline TrevortonG16

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: AT&T U-Verse
  • HD Channel #: 1225
  • SD Channel #: 225
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
What radio stations do you listen to and why?
« on: August 03, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »
Post station name, format, and short explanation in that order.

98.7 K-LUV (Classic Hits)- I prefer real music than the slop that some of these "artists" put out today.
KLUV HD-2 (Oldies)- Only for an occasional 50's or 60's song.

Lone Star 92.5 (Classic Rock)- I like jammin' to some Eagles or some Aerosmith sometimes.

Newsradio 1080 KRLD (All-News Radio)- CBS Radio news stations are so awesome.

When I go to Chicago:

104.3 K-Hits (Classic Hits)- See KLUV explanation.

Newsradio 780 and 105.9 FM WBBM (All-News Radio)- See KRLD explanation. Also, I want to know what's happening in my home city.

94.7 WLS (Oldies/Classic Hits)- Same as KLUV and WJMK, although I don't listen to it often.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:04:22 PM by TrevortonG16 »

Offline Nathan - a.k.a. NWRGeek

• also elevatorsonly
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: 24131
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24131
Re: What radio stations do you listen to and why?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »
NOAA Weather Radio - because it's my hobby. WNG575 is the closest local station; there are also other stations serving me.

AM 740, forget call sign - when I'm with my great-grandmother. They play some old songs that are WAY BETTER than the crap put out today.
AM 1030, WBZ - again, with great-grandmother. Local news station.

That's practically it, as all of the other stations suck big time. 103.3 FM used to be an Oldies station (classic hits), but in late June OF COURSE they had to go under a huge re-branding and play this new crap I was telling you about. 106.3 Frank FM (WFNQ) used to play a lot of classic rock (70s-era) and they still do, but I have my iPod to listen to. Sometimes, my mother turns on 107.9 WXKS-FM (aka "Kiss 108"), which is a HORRIBLE new crap station. I have had to hold my iPod up to my ear on several occasions when that station is played. More often than not though she hooks up her iPhone to her car speakers and plays country music, which is VERY annoying. I have had to hold my iPod up to my ear on several occasions too when this occurs. I usually try to take my headphones with me when possible, especially when we're at the mall, so I can listen to MY tunes while walking from elevator to elevator for my elevator videography hobby.

That's it. I generally STAY AWAY from the radio when I can.
Thanks NBC Comcast for driving me away from TWC. You've officially made TWC junk, NBC Comcast.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:12:01 PM »
All stations here suck, but thankfully I have XM in my car. Some of the stations I listen to are...

50s on 5, 60s on 6 - I love Rock 'n Roll. Not the kind Joan Jett talks about, but real Rock 'n Roll. Rock before it was ruined by British artists like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

80s on 8, 90s on 9, Prime Country - This is the music I grew up on (and therefore love as well). 80s on 8 plays a little too much New Wave (which I loath), so I don't listen as much.

The Message - As a Christian, I suppose it's no surprise that I like to listen to Christian music.

Heart & Soul, The Groove - Out of all the genres I listen to frequently, R&B and Soul are my favorites.

Watercolors - No explanation necessary.

Spa - I'm also a big fan of ambient music. They also occasionally play new age songs used on TWC. It's weird hearing "Three Candles" by Schonhertz and Scott outside of Christmas.

We used to have a pretty decent station here called KGOR, but a few years ago they went from 50s-70s music to 70s and 80s. Boring!

I also occasionally listen to internet radio. Mainly Pandora and 181fm.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:12:23 PM »
What's a radio station? I listen to Pandora and my iPod!

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 06:07:50 PM »
Treverton, howdy neighbor!

As for me, here are the stations I listen to:

- NOAA Weather Radio (Weather) - For 24/7 weather information.
 - KERA 90.1 (News/Talk-Public) - For an occasional NPR broadcast as well as "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me"
 - 91.7 KXT (Adult Alternative-Public) - This station has a wide selection of music from mainstream to uncharted territory.
 - KZPS LoneStar 92.5 (Classic Rock) - For great classic rock from The Eagles, Phil Collins, The Rolling Stones, and many others.
 - KBFB 97.9 The Beat (Urban Contemporary/Hip-Hop) - There are still a few great rap/hip-hop artists out there.
 - 98.7 K-Luv (Classic Hits) - There are tons of classic songs I like to listen to. My mom actually introduced me to this station when it was all oldies.
 - KLUV 98.7 HD2 (Oldies) - There are some oldies I like.
 - KJKK 100.3 Jack FM (Variety) - Why? Why not? Out of the blue, they have played some of my favorite songs.
 - KJKK 100.3 HD2 The Sound of The Strip (Vegas Jazz Standards/Oldies) - Who doesn't love listening to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. all.
 - KJKK 100.3 HD3 The Indie-Verse (Indie/Alternative) - I love Indie stuff. 'Nuff said.
 - KDGE 102.1 The Edge (Alternative) - Some great alternative hits I can rock out to.
 - KDMX 102.9 Now (Hot AC) - Has a good mix of songs. Not nearly as adventurous as KXT.
 - KHKS 106.1 Kiss FM (Top 40) - There are a dozen artists that can be the saving grace of this format such as Fun., Lorde, Imagine Dragons just to name a few.
 - KMVK 107.5 HD2 The Oasis (Smooth Jazz) - My only terrestrial source for smooth jazz.
 - WBAP News/Talk 820 - My main radio news source. (Also on KPLX 99.5 HD2)

On iHeartRadio:

- World Class Rock (Adult Alternative) - Like KXT, an eclectic mix. Although a bit more mainstream. Also broadcasting on KZPS 92.5 HD2.
 - Hawai'i No Ka Oi (Hawaiian) - It's the closest thing to a Hawaiian vacation.

Offline ndinminot

• TWC Music Expert (1986 thru 2009)
  • TWC fan from 1991 to 2008
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »
I dont listen to radio :thumbsup: I have more than enough music to manage my own radio station...
No Place On Earth Has Better Weather

Offline Jonathon

• Weatherscan Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »
I rarely listen to terrestrial radio...but if I have to:
106.7 The D - Good variety of rock songs from the '60s through about the mid-late 2000s.
93.9 the River - another good adult alternative/modern AC station.
If 93.1 Doug-FM were still here (it's now country...  :censored: <_<) that would be another one I'd list.
104.3 WOMC - Like KLUV in Dallas and K-Hits in Chicago (all 3 are owned by CBS, ironically)

Most of the time I'll listen to:
Radio Paradise...a nice eclectic radio station.
Jack FM... I mean, come on.
107.7 HD2 the Lake in Buffalo...a nice mix of deep tracks and rock hits from the last 5 decades.
And I listen to Slacker Radio for music as well.
You all have listed some other stations that I listen to regularly, so uh... Thanks. :cool2:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:13:17 PM by Jon the Weather Guy »

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 04:50:02 PM »
When I do listen to the radio it's, 89.1 "The Bash"  Heavy metal, rock, alternative, etc., is aired on that station.