May 13, 2024, 07:01:16 PM

Author Topic: Valentine's Day  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Valentine's Day
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:15:31 PM »
What does everyone think about Valentine's Day (or as I like to call it, Single's Awareness Day)?

Mine, quite frankly, is already going wonderfully. Somebody had to run their mouth about who I was going to ask and I got pity out of it. Someone who spoke to her after the fact said that she'd say yes as a friend because she felt sorry for me. Kick in the head to me.

Woo-hoo for another 14 years of SINGLE'S AWARENESS DAY  :happy:

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Valentine's Day
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »
I believe it's a day that is completely exploited by corporate whores to get you to buy over priced crap.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:56:54 PM »
Never liked it. Even my parents never cared for Valentines Day. Love between a couple is shown everyday, whether you realize it or not. Not sure how some hoity toity day in the dead of February is any different. :unsure:

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »
Ouch! Valentine's Day is a pointless holiday. It's just an excuse for companies to sell you stuff and for certain women to be spoiled and/or feel like they're special. I always say that if you truly love someone, every day should be Valentine's Day.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »
I always say that if you truly love someone, every day should be Valentine's Day.
Precisely.  :biggrin:

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »
Funny, cute but true story. This past weekend, my niece who's 5 was looking at a sales paper of products being sold for V-Day, I think it was CVS I don't remember. Anyway, she asked me what was I getting her for Valentines Day which caught me off guard so I said, "Um I don't know, how about a lot of candy?" Then she tells me, "Ok uncle, but you don't have to get me just candy, you can get me some clothes too because I like getting new outfits."  :lol: I couldn't help laughing after she told me that. If that wasn't bad enough, she then tells me I should get enough candy for her parents too. She amazes me with the type of things she says and does.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:52:23 PM »
I agree with the majority.  It's a pointless holiday that's designed to bilk people out of money and make a lot of people feel bad.

If you love somebody, it's every day, and February 14th doesn't have to mean "love me more than usual or we're through."

Then again, I've always been single, so I've never had to deal with that nonsense.  :)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:36:10 AM »
I always say that if you truly love someone, every day should be Valentine's Day.

Bingo! :biggrin:

I am really not a fan of Valentine's Day.  My heart has never been crushed (thank goodness), but as Matt said, if you are going to love someone, love them every day, not just on February 14th.

This thread was obviously created to let all of we singles complain about a love holiday. :P

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »
Valentine's Day was the day I called "crawl into a corner and cry day." Kidding, obviously. :P

But no, I've never much cared for it. I agree with Matt on this one.
Tiddlywinks.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:42:25 AM »
Frankly, I could create a better replacement for this day:  "Friendship Day."  You can't make a valentine until you find a friend first, which is not always easy to do as I've learned the hard way in life.  Furthermore, I feel that many people in this world don't care enough about other people in general, so this day would be my way of reminding people of what we're supposed to do every single day.  You just need to have an open heart.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 08:22:39 AM »
Frankly, I could create a better replacement for this day:  "Friendship Day."  You can't make a valentine until you find a friend first, which is not always easy to do as I've learned the hard way in life.  Furthermore, I feel that many people in this world don't care enough about other people in general, so this day would be my way of reminding people of what we're supposed to do every single day.  You just need to have an open heart.
Now i'd love that! :biggrin: Especially since I followed the same route you did

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »
Funny, cute but true story. This past weekend, my niece who's 5 was looking at a sales paper of products being sold for V-Day, I think it was CVS I don't remember. Anyway, she asked me what was I getting her for Valentines Day which caught me off guard so I said, "Um I don't know, how about a lot of candy?" Then she tells me, "Ok uncle, but you don't have to get me just candy, you can get me some clothes too because I like getting new outfits."  :lol: I couldn't help laughing after she told me that. If that wasn't bad enough, she then tells me I should get enough candy for her parents too. She amazes me with the type of things she says and does.
Was she serious or just being silly? If one of my nieces asked me what I was getting them for Valentine's Day, I'd say (while showing a fist) "a knuckle sandwich - you want cheese on it?" I get my nieces and nephews something (cheap) for Christmas and that's it. I don't want them to see me as a gift machine.

Frankly, I could create a better replacement for this day:  "Friendship Day."  You can't make a valentine until you find a friend first, which is not always easy to do as I've learned the hard way in life.
I honestly think that would be worse. Retailers would be able to expand their base to everyone with a friend, and more people would annoy you with requests or anticipations for gifts.

You just need to have an open heart.
You've seen that obnoxious Kay Jewlers commercial too many times. :P Speaking of which, that's probably the thing I hate most about Valentine's Day. These stupid ads by DeBeers, Kay and the worst-of-the-worst - Jared (mainly because the "men" is these ads are so wimpy). Similar ads run around Christmas time. They almost always seem to be saying that "if you don't buy your wife or girlfriend jewelry, she won't be happy" or "buy this and you'll 'get some'" If your wife or girlfriend only likes you when you buy her things, you've got problems!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:41:44 AM by twcclassics »
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 11:33:37 AM »
Was she serious or just being silly? If one of my nieces asked me what I was getting them for Valentine's Day, I'd say (while showing a fist) "a knuckle sandwich - you want cheese on it?" I get my nieces and nephews something (cheap) for Christmas and that's it. I don't want them to see me as a gift machine.

She was serious, but she didn't really understand at the time that Valentines Day doesn't exactly work in the same way as Christmas or birthdays. I'm the same as you, I only really buy her gifts on her birthday and Christmas, I don't like to spoil her unlike some in the family have done (and to an extent) still doing. It makes it harder to break her out of that habit.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »
I honestly think that would be worse. Retailers would be able to expand their base to everyone with a friend, and more people would annoy you with requests or anticipations for gifts.
You've hit the real flaw of all holidays in general.  No matter how pure your intentions may be in creating one, it's bound to get commercialized and blown way out of proportion.  I wish everyone would just celebrate a holiday for what it's supposed to mean and nothing else, because any kind of materialism or commercialization instantly ruins the whole point of it.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 11:59:17 PM »
Is Valentine's Day only for romantic love? Or can it be for any kind of love you have for your family and/or friends?
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg