April 24, 2024, 11:51:59 PM

Author Topic: TV Wiring Help  (Read 36998 times)

Concentric Eyewall

TV Wiring Help
« on: August 19, 2007, 04:36:48 PM »
I need some help.  I've been giving myself a headache trying to get my TV wiring to work the way I want it.  DISCLAIMER:  This is more complicated than just the average hookup.

Anyway, my desired setup is this, but with a few variances.  I do not have a Super Home Node.  Instead, there is a splitter combining the yellow modulated signal with the red antenna signal, then there is a 20dB amp, then it gets split to seven TVs.  (you need to look at the diagram to know what I'm talking about).

Channels 2-10 are good, then the antenna starts getting really fuzzy, which is my problem.

I also have a 15dB amp just sitting around unused. :yes:

I have a feeling I just lost about everyone :P

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: TV Wiring Help
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »
*Fog rises as I run out with sparling lights behind me*
"I'm here!"

I need to know a few things:

1) Your Dish PRO LNB should be on two satellites.. Do you know which ones? (Press Menu, 6, 1, 1 and it will tell you) You should be on Echostar 110 and Echostar 119. Can you confirm this?

2) Are you trying to combine an offair feed (Antenna) or a cable feed with the dish signal?

3) What cables are you using from the satellite dish to the receivers and from the off air (antenna / cable) feed? RG6?

4) You have 2 receivers, right? How many TV's are there all together on this cable hookup? Including ones that dont have receivers but are going to used to watch the offair / cable feed.

5) How much cable is there between the Antenna / Cable feed? Not from the dish to the receiver but from the antennta/cable feed.

6) What brand is the Diplexer that you are using?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:46:01 PM by wxmancanada »

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 09:43:42 PM »
LOL. Your still trying to figuere that out Dan?  :D

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »
Hes been on TWC Classics and this board.. I posted on both.. I have the same setup, I dont know why he isnt replying..

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 09:49:40 PM »
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but all I was commenting on was the fact that he had asked me about this a few weeks ago on AIM. I'm surprised to see that he's still trying to figure it out. Thought he'd have it done by now.  :D

Concentric Eyewall

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 09:59:29 PM »
1) Your Dish PRO LNB should be on two satellites.. Do you know which ones? (Press Menu, 6, 1, 1 and it will tell you) You should be on Echostar 110 and Echostar 119. Can you confirm this?
      Yes, 110 and 119.

2) Are you trying to combine an offair feed (Antenna) or a cable feed with the dish signal?
      Straight Antenna.  I have no problems with VHF, but UHF has lesser quality.

3) What cables are you using from the satellite dish to the receivers and from the off air (antenna / cable) feed? RG6?
      RG6 Everywhere.

4) You have 2 receivers, right? How many TV's are there all together on this cable hookup? Including ones that dont have receivers but are going to used to watch the offair / cable feed.
      Yes, two receivers.  There a total of seven TV's (this includes the TVs with receivers).  I am combining the Antenna and two modulated feeds into a three way splitter.

5) How much cable is there between the Antenna / Cable feed? Not from the dish to the receiver but from the antennta/cable feed.
      Varies depending on TV location.  20-60 feet roughly to each TV.  Same quality throughout.

DISHPro.

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 10:20:58 PM »
      Yes, 110 and 119.

Straight Antenna.  I have no problems with VHF, but UHF has lesser quality.

RG6 Everywhere.

Yes, two receivers.  There a total of seven TV's (this includes the TVs with receivers).  I am combining the Antenna and two modulated feeds into a three way splitter.

Varies depending on TV location.  20-60 feet roughly to each TV.  Same quality throughout.

DISHPro.
It looks like you may need the "Node Power Inserter".. Do you have one installed? I think an amplifyer might work but do you have ither?

Concentric Eyewall

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 11:48:20 PM »
The 20dB amp I have right now is powered by a power inserter.

Concentric Eyewall

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:39:51 PM »
Umm, do you have anything else in mind, Kyle?

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 10:54:32 PM »
Umm, do you have anything else in mind, Kyle?
Yeah Sorry for the delay, I totally didnt this.. Can you put the amp between the antenna and the cable that goes to the Diplexer?

Concentric Eyewall

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 11:13:49 PM »
Helps, but makes the modulated channels bad again (because they're unamped in that situation)

I think the problem might be with the roof antenna.  I just installed it at the same time, but didn't exactly AIM it.

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 12:24:54 PM »
Let me "Simulate" this here, Ill check back later.

Concentric Eyewall

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 09:09:19 PM »
Well, I tested the roof antenna with the wire going DIRECTLY to a television set.  It was very good quality (except for a couple channels).  Then when I hook it up to my seven TV setup, it gets much worse (the way it was), so the actual antenna is not the problem.

Also, the two modulated channels are not the problem either, as they are acceptable quality.  My problem is solely with distributing antenna throughout the house.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 09:11:55 PM by Concentric Eyewall »

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 10:08:15 PM »
The whole TV transmission is based on power, youll notice this if you go in to Costco, Sams Club, or even WalMart when they have like 40 TVs plugged in to one splitter or source the picture becomes grany and sometimes fuzzy.. I think the problem is you have to many outputs.. You will need to amplfy the signal from the antenna some more.