March 28, 2024, 12:27:29 PM

Author Topic: TruVu Max Questions  (Read 10107 times)

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
TruVu Max Questions
« on: November 05, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
I don't know if anybody on this forum has worked or has knowledge or TruVu Max but if so here's my question

My Main question is the data service. Is this really thousands per month or is that when you combine multiple vendors? What are the data prices generally, the cheapest it could go? This is my last shot before I contact WSI.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this question.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: TruVu Max Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:59:58 AM »
To own a max system you must have at least 1 max workstation and 1 max core.

Those two alone will probably cost around 24K, The monthly service fee for max services typically is around 6-12k. It depends on the market size you live in and how many services you have. For example Max Sky, an add on to MAX, costs around 12-18k for the software upgrade itself and an additional ~2-4K a month for data.

Even if you go the cheapest route.... you still have to own a core and workstation which will cost 10k+. You can not have a workstation without a core.  Its not really feasible unless you are a commercial vendor.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:02:08 AM by TWCToday »

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 01:03:02 PM »
 :wow: Dang they're expensive! Now I can see why an average person doesn't own a system like this. Why do they have to be soooooooo expensive? I can only imagine what Baron Services Charges  :wacko:

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:18:59 PM »
:wow: Dang they're expensive! Now I can see why an average person doesn't own a system like this. Why do they have to be soooooooo expensive? I can only imagine what Baron Services Charges  :wacko:
I also wanted a WSI system, but now I know how much it costs. If anyone knows a WAY cheaper alternative, please tell me.

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 04:52:08 PM »
This brings up a second question, will WSI allow you to choose your own vendor? Like Allisonhouse.com for example ? Although you probably won't get the RPM model?

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:04:33 PM »
This brings up a second question, will WSI allow you to choose your own vendor? Like Allisonhouse.com for example ? Although you probably won't get the RPM model?
No you can't use any data not provided by WSI (with a few minor exceptions)

Essentially WSI sends out special data feeds of model data and current conditions. Those special grids are sent to the Core and then sent to the MAX system.

Also live sweeping radar is not included unless you buy MAX Storm. I'm sure that is another expensive package and monthly fee. The base MAX system does have a radar mosaic like you see on TWC but its pretty poor quality when you are really zoomed in.

These systems are intended mostly for tv stations which is why they can charge such a high rate. Larger TV corporations sometimes negotiate rates for data and systems so its a bit cheaper.

I use MAX everyday at work and it really is an amazing system. It's super powerful and very flexible. The only software that came close to it was WeatherCentral... which of course was bought by WSI and being phased out as they integrate Weather Central features into MAX.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 09:52:02 AM »
I wonder how much training a TV meteorologist has to go through just to be able to make effective use out of all this computer equipment.  Not only do you need a degree in meteorology, but you practically need one in computer programming and design, too!

Oh, for the days when a map painted on a wall and a grease pencil were all you needed!

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:24:04 AM »
I wonder how much training a TV meteorologist has to go through just to be able to make effective use out of all this computer equipment.  Not only do you need a degree in meteorology, but you practically need one in computer programming and design, too!

Oh, for the days when a map painted on a wall and a grease pencil were all you needed!
It can be a bit challenging for some but just imagine it as google earth and powerpoint on extreme steroids.

Compared to the old days that you referenced it actually is a lot easier. In those days radar data would come in (if they had it at all) as a gridded spreadsheet on a printer with a lot of 0 and 1s. You had to manually make an x on a map for each radar sector/pixel that had rain based on this.

Weather maps just had raw data from the weather service and printed on giant pieces of paper that had to be hung to dry and only came out once or twice a day.

It's pretty amazing how far we have come. Before MAX, the previous system required you to render every single element on the fly. Have a spelling error or want to make a quick change a few seconds before your weather hit? Not possible before. MAX renders everything on the fly. Pretty amazing stuff when you think about how much data has to be rendered.