March 29, 2024, 06:32:44 AM

Author Topic: Traffic lights  (Read 14239 times)

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Traffic lights
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »
The Clearview typeface that is common on the newer signs had wormed its way into Arizona over the last couple of years.

Interstate is a knockoff of the original FHWA typefaces (which have a different weight system)

That much I knew. They go by letters from A to F.

Offline Squizz

• Lé Gasp! Lé Squizz!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »
I have never seen horizontal traffic lights in Maricopa County. However, I have seen horizontal traffic lights in Coconino and Yavapai County.
I think most urban cities in Arizona use florescent bulbs for their streetlights. Phoenix has Clearview on all street signs and freeways. I think Paradise Valley does not. Scottsdale has upgraded to lighted street signs which Phoenix had for a while. Those do have Clearview. The ones that have not and will not be upgraded apparently do not. All the highways in the Valley do. There's a lot of construction going on in the Valley so when they finish construction they upgrade the signs.
Here are some pics.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 10:14:35 PM »
Here is what the emergency signals look like here. These are only installed near fire stations that are located off a major road, like where this one was taken (PA 132/Street Road). These lights just flash yellow when there's no activity. When these turn red, there's also white lights that flicker on top of the lens (these are also seen in areas where there are a lot of traffic lights close together, like on Rockhill Drive at the US 1 ramps).

Offline number1twcfan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: MediaCom
  • SD Channel #: 25
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24380
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2009, 01:40:28 AM »
Here is what the emergency signals look like here. These are only installed near fire stations that are located off a major road, like where this one was taken (PA 132/Street Road). These lights just flash yellow when there's no activity. When these turn red, there's also white lights that flicker on top of the lens (these are also seen in areas where there are a lot of traffic lights close together, like on Rockhill Drive at the US 1 ramps).
If they, from what you described, produce only two colors. I wonder why they still have the green light.  :thinking:

The fire signals in Moline, the few I have seen anyway, are composed of a red lens and a white reflector. They only activate when signaled by the fire department.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2009, 02:43:55 AM »
Here are some more pics of stoplights in the area.

Picture 1: There are only a few of these in the area, and all of them are on either side of the city (western side of Lansing, Okemos- where this pic was taken, Haslett) 8

Picture 2: Only a couple of these exist that I know of, that have yellow and not black casing. 13

Picture 3: Another stoplight right at US-127, just north of the major cloverleaf intersection with I-96. 17

Picture 4: Another stoplight on Pennsylvania Avenue just 3 miles down the road from my house. 20

Here are some more pics of stoplights in Howell going down M-59:
Picture 5: This stoplight has only been around for a couple years, as this intersection was heavily under construction in 2006-2008. This intersection is immediatly north of I-96. 41

Pictures 6-7: Here is an interesting stoplight. Notice the one on the right, and the appearance of the light. Only one of these exists in the Lansing area. 44, 48

Picture 8: Another one-way stoplight, on the north side of the Howell area 46

Pictures 9-10: This type of stoplight has been placed at several intersections of late in the Lansing area, mainly on the east side. 54 and 55

Picture 11: Another stoplight east of Howell. 58

Picture 12: This stoplight is at the US-23/M-59 Intersection a few miles up from Detroit itself. This is evidently a normally busy intersection. 62

Pictures 13-14: I thought this stoplight literally mounted "on" US-23 was a bit interesting. 64 67 79 81 83
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2009, 06:19:13 AM »
If they, from what you described, produce only two colors. I wonder why they still have the green light.  :thinking:

The fire signals in Moline, the few I have seen anyway, are composed of a red lens and a white reflector. They only activate when signaled by the fire department.
The bottom lights are flashing yellow lights, they're not green. It's hard to see them unless you're right in front of it because it has that grid on top of the lens. The middle lights are also yellow but they are bigger, and don't flash.

Offline CartoonJazzLover

• Ultimate Member
  • Former TWC Fan (2003-2011)
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 52
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2009, 10:57:30 AM »
OK, here's a picture of the traffic light from my area.

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2009, 10:59:52 AM »
Ah yes, Texas. I was there last August. They have the worst transportation set-up I've ever seen. And I've been to a lot of states!
~TWC forum member since 2005~
"It is hard to do positive things with ignorance and delusion."

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »
Ah yes, Texas. I was there last August. They have the worst transportation set-up I've ever seen. And I've been to a lot of states!

How so? :thinking: I'll admit that some of the roads here are frequently jammed, but I didn't think Texas had the worst transportation set-up. :whistling:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2009, 02:29:46 PM »
This is what the emergency signals at the Temple Terrace Fire Department look like. :thumbsup:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »

How so? :thinking: I'll admit that some of the roads here are frequently jammed, but I didn't think Texas had the worst transportation set-up. :whistling:
I'm not talking traffic, just how everything is configured.
~TWC forum member since 2005~
"It is hard to do positive things with ignorance and delusion."

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 03:15:13 PM »
These are the traffic signals up in Scranton, PA as of last summer. Pretty much the same as they are here except without the black plates. Red left-arrow signals are much more common up there than here.

If you look closely on the third picture, you can see the logo and building of Roland's favorite news station. :P (my hotel was located right next to the station)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:20:42 PM by Mike M »

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2009, 10:07:55 PM »
Is this a red light camera installed on this traffic light (between the first light and no turn on red sign)? This is a new set installed within the past few months. Sorry it's hard to see, caught it with my camera phone.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2009, 10:16:15 PM »
Is this a red light camera installed on this traffic light (between the first light and no turn on red sign)? This is a new set installed within the past few months. Sorry it's hard to see, caught it with my camera phone.
That's a motion detector sensor to detect traffic so that the light changes properly.  I've seen those in my area, too.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »
That's a motion detector sensor to detect traffic so that the light changes properly.  I've seen those in my area, too.

Yes, Patrick is right. :) Red light cameras are usually much bigger and may not even be on the traffic light itself. I wish they had these sensors on every traffic light, though, as some lights take so long to change.