March 28, 2024, 05:31:15 AM

Author Topic: This forum seems to be very quiet anymore.  (Read 10751 times)

Offline Weatheronthe8s

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • HD Channel #: 25
  • SD Channel #: 25
  • WxScan Ch. #: 378
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
This forum seems to be very quiet anymore.
« on: November 16, 2016, 09:55:29 PM »
When I get on here every now and then, maybe once every week or maybe a little more, I only see usually only like less than 1 page of posts, and now, I haven't been on here in like probably close to over half a week now and there's only been 1 post since my last visit in "Lie your butt off", even my local Topix forum(in the not super big city of Beckley) seem like 5 or more times more active than this whole national forum about The Weather Channel, that's just weird, why is this happening? Has it always been this quiet because I never thought it was this quiet?
Hello this is Weatheronthe8s.

Offline Weatheronthe8s

• View Profile
Re: This forum seems to be very quiet anymore.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:58:37 PM »
No make that Topix forum more like 10 or 15 or maybe even more times more active.

Offline CartoonJazzLover

• Ultimate Member
  • Former TWC Fan (2003-2011)
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 52
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 11:16:39 PM »
It's quiet because most of us think the Weather Channel isn't really the same anymore. I rarely watch it these days :/

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »
It's usually pretty dead on these forums, primarily because people such as myself are often busy with work, school, etc. Plus I think a lot of users here have lost interest in The Weather Channel since its "Weather All The Time" relaunch three years ago, though there might be an occasional boost in activity here (albeit rarely) if something big comes up. I stop by here from time to time to see what's new, but that's pretty much it.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:29:27 AM »
It's been like that for a long time, but seems to be even more quite in recent months. I agree with others that it's probably due to the fact that TWC sucks these days, so not many are interested in talking about it.

Of course, we could always talk about the days when it was good. *cough* *cough*
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Weatheronthe8s

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 02:14:07 PM »
Yeah, I guess you all are right, if things gotten better on the network, then this forum would probably get a boost in activity.

Offline ndinminot

• TWC Music Expert (1986 thru 2009)
  • TWC fan from 1991 to 2008
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 12:22:16 PM »
It's been like that for a long time, but seems to be even more quite in recent months. I agree with others that it's probably due to the fact that TWC sucks these days, so not many are interested in talking about it.

Of course, we could always talk about the days when it was good. *cough* *cough*

Yes sir, that pretty much sums it up...However I am still looking for those unknowns from 1995-96 still
No Place On Earth Has Better Weather

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 12:09:57 AM »
We also gotta factor in social media usage. I know I'm guilty of it too, although sometimes it feels good to disconnect while on the go.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 04:10:51 PM »
We also gotta factor in social media usage. I know I'm guilty of it too, although sometimes it feels good to disconnect while on the go.
When I first joined the old forum, this was social media to me, because it was before I knew about Facebook. Yes, samehere, I'm not on here as much either.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 05:15:02 PM »
When I first joined the old forum, this was social media to me, because it was before I knew about Facebook. Yes, samehere, I'm not on here as much either.

Same! I remember when the old IRC chat would get chugging along, especially if something big was happening. Online interactions changed in a way a lot of us could never have anticipated in 2007, '08, or '09.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 05:35:36 PM »

Indeed. As a long-time webmaster, I have a love/hate relationship with social media, YouTube, and Wordpress. As a user, these things are great. As a webmaster, they've taken a good chunk of my audience, and I hate that! :P
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 06:37:56 PM »

Indeed. As a long-time webmaster, I have a love/hate relationship with social media, YouTube, and Wordpress. As a user, these things are great. As a webmaster, they've taken a good chunk of my audience, and I hate that! :P
I can see why you feel that way Matt. You have mixed feelings since it takes from the audience on here, yet social media is a very useful tool and we all enjoy facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube, etc.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:40:13 PM by Lightning »
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 06:51:08 PM »
You guys should have seen the old TWCC boards during the "meltdown" back in 2008... there would be hundreds of posts just during that overnight period. It's like what you see on your Facebook feed if you're friends with like a thousand people.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 11:38:43 PM »
You guys should have seen the old TWCC boards during the "meltdown" back in 2008... there would be hundreds of posts just during that overnight period. It's like what you see on your Facebook feed if you're friends with like a thousand people.
Yeah, i remember that time very well.

I am also not as active as I used to be 10 years ago. It's not only because my interest in TWC has diminished, but I've moved on to other/more important things in my life such as work, grad school, traveling, etc. I really do miss the old days, though. I spent a huge chunk of my time on the forums since my interest in TWC was also at its peak during that time. I still visit the forums whenever I can. I can't forget the memories and friends I've made over the years, and I'm still interested in learning what's new with TWC every once in a while, though I don't have cable anymore and haven't watched TWC regularly in 6 years.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 12:57:03 AM »
I still log in every day or every other day, I just don't post. Outside of the video game thread and some of the other non-TWC threads, I don't feel like there is anything I can contribute to the conversations here. I mentioned this before, but since I don't have cable anymore I haven't seen TWC on TV since November 2014. I can only imagine the channel has evolved quite a lot since then. I didn't remember until a few days ago that this year was TWC's 35th anniversary, did they acknowledge it? They basically ignored their 30th.The main thing that kept me active for the past 2.5 years was sharing STAR emulations/artwork because I loved/enjoyed doing them, it was never a chore for me. However, even that has taken a seat on the back burner these last several months, I think the last one I made was a emulation back in November and the last one I shared here was over a year ago in April 2016! Although to be fair the weather in Atlanta overall has been boring as hell the past couple of years so that in itself has contributed to my lack of making STAR emulations. Most of our vet members explained the reason for the quietness pretty well....life happened lol. You get older, start working, becoming your own independent self, a hobby/interest like TWC gradually fades off. Now the good thing I took away from being a TWC fan was the fact that it got me significantly engaged into weather back during childhood and that's something that is not going to change.

I as well miss the old days here from a decade ago, there were a lot of interesting discussions, I remember how when a lot of us would be excited (including myself) to see what selection of songs would be on the new monthly playlists and whether any of our old favorites would make appearances or what brand new song would become a favorite. I remember when I first started making STAR emulations back in June 2008 and the overwhelming encouragement and support I got from the community of member here even when at times I subconsciously self-doubted my own creativity. I just remember how fun it was to chat with all of you about anything back then.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA