March 28, 2024, 07:17:36 PM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1293024 times)

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #14400 on: October 31, 2015, 10:18:52 AM »
RIP Martin, you left a wonderful legacy over the whole weather community.

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14401 on: October 31, 2015, 03:08:10 PM »
Hearing about this pretty much broke me. Martin, you were an awesome guy. You'll be missed.  :cry: :cry3:

Offline Stephen

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #14402 on: October 31, 2015, 06:26:54 PM »
I'm truly shocked to hear of Martin's passing. He will be greatly missed. :cry:

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Offline WeatherSTAR

• Certified Cabbl Dealer™
    • View Profile
    • Triple C TWC YouTube
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 1101
  • SD Channel #: 8
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22941
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #14403 on: October 31, 2015, 09:59:35 PM »
Very shocked. I came here as soon as I heard. Rest in peace, Martin- you will be missed. :cry:

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #14404 on: October 31, 2015, 10:51:47 PM »

Offline hen7713

• Blue Box
  • I write code.
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 64
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24688
« Reply #14405 on: October 31, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »
I'm still having a hard time letting this sink in. Martin certainly was an amazing person... and he has certainly accomplished a lot within the short time he was on this Earth. Unfortunately because of my behavior at the time I lost contact with him. I have been meaning to make amends with him over the past several weeks, but I never got around to actually talking to him. I want everyone to know...especially Martin, that I am deeply sorry for how I acted. I wish you Godspeed, and rest in peace.

Henry

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #14406 on: October 31, 2015, 11:48:01 PM »
"Shocked and saddened" is an understatement, and frankly, I can't think of any words to truly express how I felt the moment I heard the news. Though the shock is starting to wear off, the loss of Martin is an enormous one, to this community and the weather community as a whole, and he will be greatly missed.

Even in a time of great loss, this community will most certainly triumph over its sting. Though it's been a few years since I was last active on here, if there's any way I can help keep TWCT going, I would love to know. There's a wealth of history on the site and these forums, and I'm sure Martin would love to see it preserved.

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #14407 on: November 01, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »
I'm sad to hear this. :( Martin was such a great person and an awesome Weather Channel fan and contributor. My hearts and prayers all go out to his friends and family.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #14408 on: November 04, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »
Though it has finally sunk in, I'm still stunned about Martin's passing. From what I saw on his Facebook page, he was just getting into the swing of things at station WVEC in his area. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family & friends. I also hope that the TWC Today forums continue on.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14409 on: November 24, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
I have an interview with the Weather Channel next week in their NYC office.

Found a job I was qualified for on their website and for the heck of it, decided to apply to see if it would take me anywhere. I never thought in a million years I would even get an INTERVIEW with them. I'm still beyond disbelief that they chose to interview me out of hundreds of other candidates for this one position I applied to...Praying that I ace this one
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:14:49 PM by Localonthe8s »

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #14410 on: November 26, 2015, 10:40:47 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving! Hope everyone has an amazing day, watches great sports, and has a full belly!

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #14411 on: December 04, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
Not sure if anyone caught this... but at 12:17PT/3:17ET on December 4th, there was an interesting commercial that aired before the LF... it was the original WUWA commercial from back in the day, then at the end it said "Wake up with Al is brought to you by (some) law office"... anyone else catch that or was it just me? Wish I recorded that. Really bizarre.

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
« Reply #14412 on: December 04, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »
Not sure if anyone caught this... but at 12:17PT/3:17ET on December 4th, there was an interesting commercial that aired before the LF... it was the original WUWA commercial from back in the day, then at the end it said "Wake up with Al is brought to you by (some) law office"... anyone else catch that or was it just me? Wish I recorded that. Really bizarre.
Which one? The promo before the show aired or the 2009 ads? It's funny that you caught that. Wish I could've saw that. I've been watching some funny WUWA moments and songs from back in the day recently. Brings back a lot of memories from summer 2009 which was my most favorite summer.

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #14413 on: December 04, 2015, 05:28:27 PM »
Wasn't that a local cable commercial? That sounded like one of those local cable company-produced commercials promoting not only with the featured local business or sponsor, but also TWC. Some national cable networks like TWC would sometimes promote some of their participating cable affiliates to do their own local business tie-in promos with various cable companies. The cable company would edit the local promo by combining it with the national network promo to promote with their featured businesses. Your local cable company must have aired the local commercial during the national commercial break before automatically switching back to the national feed even if it wasn't tuned to TWC.

For example, one cable system back in 2008 with an IntelliStar v2 still continued to air an old TWC promo (likely produced back in the "Live by It" era). And the funny thing is, is that the cable company still aired the old promo as late as 2008! :rofl:

Here's the video I was talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfmkthCQxCc&feature=player_embedded

And here is the "raw" version of that same promo (without the local cable company produced sponsor):

There was also another one that was produced circa 1998-99 that also had a "Sponsored locally by..." insert.

Another one from around 2004-early 2005 that features Jim Cantore (still with some hair back then) and an obviously fake IntelliStar v1 warning crawl:

There was even one for PrimeTime Tonight that was promoted way back in 1991:

Lastly, here's a more recent one from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDjNa003KIQ
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #14414 on: December 07, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »
Wasn't that a local cable commercial? That sounded like one of those local cable company-produced commercials promoting not only with the featured local business or sponsor, but also TWC. Some national cable networks like TWC would sometimes promote some of their participating cable affiliates to do their own local business tie-in promos with various cable companies. The cable company would edit the local promo by combining it with the national network promo to promote with their featured businesses. Your local cable company must have aired the local commercial during the national commercial break before automatically switching back to the national feed even if it wasn't tuned to TWC.

For example, one cable system back in 2008 with an IntelliStar v2 still continued to air an old TWC promo (likely produced back in the "Live by It" era). And the funny thing is, is that the cable company still aired the old promo as late as 2008! :rofl:

Here's the video I was talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfmkthCQxCc&feature=player_embedded

And here is the "raw" version of that same promo (without the local cable company produced sponsor):

There was also another one that was produced circa 1998-99 that also had a "Sponsored locally by..." insert.

Another one from around 2004-early 2005 that features Jim Cantore (still with some hair back then) and an obviously fake IntelliStar v1 warning crawl:

There was even one for PrimeTime Tonight that was promoted way back in 1991:

Lastly, here's a more recent one from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDjNa003KIQ
Doh. For some reason I didn't think to see if the LDL was still up on the IS2Jr. You're likely right about it being a locally inserted commercial. Now I feel like a dope! :whistling: