May 12, 2024, 04:40:51 PM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1309620 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #14160 on: March 19, 2013, 08:07:21 PM »
My Norton subscription expires in a week and I'm debating if it's worth spending the extra $60 to renew it. Has anyone tried Microsoft security essentials? Is it any good especially on Windows 8?
Stay away from Norton. All it does is hogs up your computer's memory, and it's very difficult to remove from your computer. Microsoft security essentials isn't bad. There are also good free antivirus programs out there that are TONS better than Norton. Google around and see what's best for you

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #14161 on: March 19, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »
My Norton subscription expires in a week and I'm debating if it's worth spending the extra $60 to renew it. Has anyone tried Microsoft security essentials? Is it any good especially on Windows 8?
Stay away from Norton. All it does is hogs up your computer's memory, and it's very difficult to remove from your computer. Microsoft security essentials isn't bad. There are also good free antivirus programs out there that are TONS better than Norton. Google around and see what's best for you
If I remember correctly, I was going to install Microsoft Security Essentials on my sister's Win8 computer, but there was some message on Microsoft's website saying it was unnecessary. I'm not exactly sure what it said anymore, but it was something like that.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14162 on: March 19, 2013, 08:56:54 PM »
Thx pavel and mike, what programs do you recommend? I'm willing to pay for it too, doesn't have to be free

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #14163 on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »
McAfee, while in some cases is more expensive than Norton, is definitely better. Even Avast, which is free, is worth trying.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14164 on: March 20, 2013, 12:23:04 AM »
McAfee, while in some cases is more expensive than Norton, is definitely better. Even Avast, which is free, is worth trying.
I would stay away from McAfee and Norton products all together. Microsoft Security Essentials is 100% unnecessary on Windows 8, because all the features are integrated in the Windows Defender program on Windows 8. I've personally had no issues with it, but it's to each his own. I use NOD32 and I have no issues with it, although it's not free.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14165 on: March 20, 2013, 12:28:45 AM »
Victor, I've used Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 computer, and it has done very well.  Free programs are generally good enough for home users unless you encounter serious problems.  Pavel is correct that Microsoft Security Essential won't work on Windows 8, because Microsoft already has something else built in to your system.  It's called Windows Defender, which is an improved version of Microsoft Security Essentials just for Windows 8.  So, you already got something on your system that should do the job. :yes:

The time has come to say good-bye to the Pot Belly Stove for this season.  Join us in the Front Porch to welcome in the start of spring!  We'll be back here to welcome fall on September 22, 2013. B)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14166 on: September 22, 2013, 12:29:27 AM »
Welcome back to the Pot Belly Stove and the first day of autumn.  The picture comes from a location I visited on the Blue Ridge Parkway in western North Carolina earlier this year.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14167 on: September 22, 2013, 12:51:58 AM »
I'm on yet another paid vacation from work.  :happy:  This time, I have this whole week off, which I scheduled well before the vacation I had a few short weeks ago. I totally forgot I had time off until my boss told me on Friday.  :doh:  Currently, I'm staying at a hotel in The Dalles, Oregon.  B)   
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #14168 on: September 22, 2013, 10:12:28 AM »
Last day off today, then 6 straight days of work and 2 days off after. glad i love my job and get to experience Autumn first hand outside  :D

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14169 on: September 22, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »
One of the best periods of the year is finally here! :happy:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #14170 on: September 23, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »
The stove is back, yes!  :dance:  I'm enjoying that slight crispness in the air that comes at night.  The days are still getting into the 80's, though.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14171 on: September 24, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »
At this point, I'm just wishing for 2013 to end completely.  This year has been a train wreck for me, and I fear that I've lost a lot of friends and appreciation in life.  Although I'm not too wild about colder weather, I have to accept it this year.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14172 on: September 24, 2013, 08:20:58 PM »
At this point, I'm just wishing for 2013 to end completely.  This year has been a train wreck for me, and I fear that I've lost a lot of friends and appreciation in life.

So sorry to hear about that, Patrick.  :(  I wish you the very best of luck and hopefully things will get better for you soon.  :)
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14173 on: September 24, 2013, 10:44:06 PM »
At this point, I'm just wishing for 2013 to end completely.  This year has been a train wreck for me, and I fear that I've lost a lot of friends and appreciation in life.  Although I'm not too wild about colder weather, I have to accept it this year.

I agree 100% with you.  On the other hand, at least the start of 2014 looks like rock bottom is still to come...

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14174 on: September 28, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
So sorry to hear about that, Patrick.  :(  I wish you the very best of luck and hopefully things will get better for you soon.  :)
October might give me a clue if things will improve as this threat of a government shutdown and the budget mess does impact my job.  I also have my next appraisal during that time as well.