April 27, 2024, 12:44:05 PM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1303354 times)

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #14280 on: March 06, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »
Why is it that sometimes my TV guide will show on one channel "[Channel Name] Programming" for a few hours? Example: On Comedy Central it says "Comedy Central Programming" from 6AM to 4PM this Tuesday. Is my cable headend really that lazy to obtain listings for TV shows that will air throughout a particular programming block?  :rolleyes:
This typically happens here when my Fox Sports Network (Fox Sports South) diverts programming to another network in the lead-up to a live pro sports event. For example, typically an hour before Nashville Predators games, the guide will list it as "FSN Programming" and instead of the program being from Fox Sports South, it's coming from Fox Sports Tennessee. Same thing with the Pacers games FSIndiana gives FSSouth for broadcast in Kentucky.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14281 on: March 06, 2014, 10:31:08 PM »
I've just about had it with "winter" where I am. All season long I've been under a lot of high wind watches and warning it's been driving me crazy. Even last night the high winds kept blowing against my house I barely got any sleep!  :wacko:

Indeed.  This winter for my area has had an unusually large amount of snow/ice storms.  Sunday's marked our sixth notable winter weather event since a mini ice storm in mid-November, a snow storm in early December, a major ice storm right before Christmas, a couple of snow storms in early February.  (All this, and we're still running below in precipitation totals.  In addition, temperatures have been cold!  Last month for Oklahoma City, the average temperature was 5.4 degrees below normal!  In fact, February was our fifth consecutive month with the average temperature finishing below normal and I think our sixth consecutive month with the total precipitation finishing below normal.

I certainly wouldn't mind transitioning from this "cold and dry" period to a more "warm and wet" period.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14282 on: March 08, 2014, 12:47:41 AM »
While cleaning out my closet this evening, I found this signed photograph of Jim Cantore:

Back in 2005, I wrote a letter to Cantore saying that I was a fan of The Weather Channel and enjoyed watching him cover hurricanes, storms, and other extreme weather on TV. A few weeks after I sent my letter, I received an envelope which contained this photo that Cantore signed and said "Thanks for watching!"

Note the name James at the top left corner of the photo. That's my birth name and what I went by back in '05. Nowadays I prefer to go by Jim.  :P
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14283 on: March 10, 2014, 07:22:50 AM »
Hope all of you made the transition to Daylight Saving Time okay.  I really wish we could just pick one and stick with it all year.  I wouldn't mind it being DST even in winter.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14284 on: March 10, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »
I do enjoy having the sun out later, and the transition to daylight savings time is always easier for me than the transition from, despite (or, perhaps, because of) losing an hour of sleep.  That said, I'm also tired of the changes, and "standard" time only lasts about four months now.  Personally, I'd like to see the U.S. do what some other countries have started doing and just stay on daylight savings time year-round.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14285 on: March 10, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »
Every year after DST starts it feels weird because it's like we went from March to June. It doesn't get dark until WAY late like after 8pm. It doesn't feel right to me. :no: I guess it's because you become so accustomed to it getting dark around 4-5pm every evening for about 4-5 months or so. :dunno:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:09:16 PM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14286 on: March 10, 2014, 08:10:51 PM »
Every year after DST starts it feels weird because it's like we went from March to June. It doesn't get dark until WAY late like after 8pm. It doesn't feel right to me. :no: I guess it's because you become so accustomed to it getting dark around 4-5pm every evening for about 4-5 months or so. :dunno:
I agree. I don't like how we have so much light even though the temperatures are still chilly. With the temperatures, and not being spring until the 21st, I thought it was better to keep DST on a milder April.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14287 on: March 10, 2014, 10:02:43 PM »
After a couple months, your body can become adapted to many things.  Once May arrives, you'll probably think that standard time will not "feel right" to you. :P

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14288 on: March 15, 2014, 10:53:30 AM »
I just found out our CBS affiliate was re branded with these graphics. All I can say is I definitely approve of this change. First HD rebranding they've had in nearly 6 years!

They look like this
New CBS O&O Opens 2013 (HD)

I know some CBS O&O stations already had these graphics for about as long as 6 months now. Are they making all CBS stations around the country carry these graphics? I'm really shocked to see we have them here considering our CBS affiliate is a Meredith Corp owned station.

EDIT: Since this change, they dropped "Atlanta" and now just call it CBS46.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:57:22 AM by toxictwister00 »

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14289 on: March 15, 2014, 11:34:10 AM »
If a station really wants to, they can get a hold of the O&O graphics if they aren't an O&O. CBS is not forcing it on all stations, CBS 46 just decided the graphics looked nice (I agree!). I can think of a few examples of this...one being WSMV-TV (NBC) in Nashville. They've used the NBC O&O graphics going on 5 years, but they are owned by Meredith as well.

If you didn't know already, there's another forum called TVNewsTalk pertaining to all things media related that quite a few people from this forum, including myself, are members of. Here's the thread pertaining to CBS 46's relaunch: http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/13586-cbs-atlanta-rebrands-as-cbs-46/

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14290 on: March 15, 2014, 12:25:28 PM »
If a station really wants to, they can get a hold of the O&O graphics if they aren't an O&O. CBS is not forcing it on all stations, CBS 46 just decided the graphics looked nice (I agree!). I can think of a few examples of this...one being WSMV-TV (NBC) in Nashville. They've used the NBC O&O graphics going on 5 years, but they are owned by Meredith as well.

If you didn't know already, there's another forum called TVNewsTalk pertaining to all things media related that quite a few people from this forum, including myself, are members of. Here's the thread pertaining to CBS 46's relaunch: http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/13586-cbs-atlanta-rebrands-as-cbs-46/

Ah, I see. I'm glad to see they went in that direction, I'm impressed! Also thanks for that link. I think I might join. If it wasn't for an article I read on mediabistro about this relaunch I would have never known. I don't watch that station because they were so terrible (on air talent mainly), but with the drastic changes they've been making maybe they will be worth a watch again. Maybe, just maybe for the first time ever they won't be dead last in the ratings.  :lol:

NintenGamers Nation

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14291 on: March 19, 2014, 12:09:43 AM »
Spring will be starting in about 36 hours although I'm not sure if Mother Nature will flip the switch until later in April based on the long range models.  Personally, I've been tired of this winter for almost two months due to many reasons.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14292 on: March 19, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »
I really hope so. This winter has been too cold and too snowy. I am ready for winter to end and longer days/warmer temps to arrive!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14293 on: March 19, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
I have a feeling this Spring will be cool and wet for a lot of us. Just a feeling though, there's no scientific evidence to back this up. :P

NintenGamers Nation

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14294 on: March 20, 2014, 01:43:44 AM »
The Pot Belly Stove is now closed for the season.  We will see you back here on September 23, 2014.  For now, head over to the Front Porch to welcome spring! :happy: