June 04, 2024, 12:58:58 PM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1316150 times)

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #14205 on: October 30, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »
I posted my experience with Sandy in my Long Island Weather thread. Direct hit here. NY/NJ got the worst of it.

https://twctodayforums.com/forums/your-local-weather/long-island-weather/345/
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14206 on: November 02, 2013, 09:10:41 AM »
Ah, Day Light Savings.  The most depressing time of the year is upon me. From now until February, the sun sets in the 16:00 hour. Absolutely depressing. Nothing like coming home, get that feeling that it's already late in the day, and bam, the sun is down and it's pitch dark before 5pm. Yeah we get an extra hour of sleep, but I don't care what time in the morning the sun rises. As long as it's bright in the evening I'll be happy. I personally wish it was EDT all year long.
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14207 on: November 02, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »
I like my light in the morning and my darkness in the evening, so CST year-round in Texas would be perfect for me.  It's so hot here in the summer and it takes forever for it to cool down at night, so the summer daylight including the extra hour is next to useless for me.  It's all about beating the heat for me in the summer, so moving the extra hour of light back to the morning like it used to be would mean I could sleep through it and yet still get up early.  I heard once that Arizona doesn't observe it at all, because of the heat. 

In the winter, the extra hour of night means more time for Christmas lights, which most people turn off in the early morning hours.  It also means that the sun rises closer to 7:30 rather than 8:30.  I'm a morning person and prefer light mornings.

With that being said, I realize I live in a hot southern state.  Craig, I'm guessing you live in New York, which is a northern state on the eastern edge of Eastern Time.  In your case, maybe EDT is more practical.  My sunset times never go earlier than 5:20 even without Daylight Savings.  At least states can choose whether or not to observe it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:34:04 AM by Metarvo »

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14208 on: November 02, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »
I understand Metarvo. We are at a disadvantage being at the far east part of the eastern time zone. Places like Michigan/Ohio have their sun set in the 5 o'clock hour in the evening during the winter which would be something I'd like. The sun rises early here being near the far east part of the time zone. The sun rises around 7:00/7:10 in the winter, which is fine. Also in the winter, the more north you go the shorter the days are.

I totally respect your opinion. Most people I know from up here in New York don't like the early darkness. A lot of times when people are coming home from work from NYC, it's already dark by the time they leave office. I wish I lived down south where the days are longer down there in the winter and at least in some parts where things are green all year long. And I'd like to even go ahead 2 hours in the summer. The sun rises 5:20am in the summer! The sky is lit by 3:30am! That's not necessary, if we could go ahead by two hours in the summer sun rises would be around 6:00am and sun sets would be around 9:30pm which is great. Too bad that'll probably never happen  :hmm:

Well, it's all opinions here. I understand and respect your opinion as you are more of a morning person. I'm more of an evening person.
My Weather Station

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14209 on: November 02, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »
The sun doesn't set until a quarter before 7 here (as of now), but it seems like it sets a whole lot sooner than that already. :unsure:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14210 on: November 04, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
Sorry that I have been really quiet and not around lately, but it has been a really rough week for me.  I just lost another person in my family, and it took a while to console everyone.  I can't wait for 2013 to end. :(  I also was at a college football game between Penn State and Illinois on Saturday to take my mind off things and enjoy some time with my family after all the stress.  Penn State won in overtime, so I was pleased after it was over.

Personally, I wish the whole world would use UTC as it would simplify life so much.  There is no such thing as daylight saving time with this unique time, but I know that everyone around the globe would really struggle seeing the sun up or down at weird times due to this idea.  So, I would rather just pick one (standard time or daylight saving time) to use throughout the whole year here in the United States.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14211 on: November 05, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss Patrick. Hopefully things get better for you.   :itsok:
My Weather Station

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #14212 on: November 05, 2013, 02:52:56 PM »
 :cry:

I'm sorry, Patrick.  You have my sincere condolences.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14213 on: November 05, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Patrick.  :(  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and I wish you the very best of luck.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14214 on: November 05, 2013, 10:45:14 PM »
Thanks, Craig, Metarvo, and Jim.  The person I referenced in my prior post was only 46 years old and in great physical shape.  However, something went horribly wrong as that person suddenly collapsed and died a week ago despite frantic revival attempts at the hospital.  It really makes you appreciate the present moment while you are alive.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14215 on: November 07, 2013, 01:21:17 AM »
My beloved Kindle 2 died last night after nearly four years of excessively heavy use.  After reading about this on Facebook, one of my friends bought me the best Kindle reader that Amazon sells, and it will arrive on Friday.

Not only am I thankful, obviously, but I'm also incredibly humbled that someone I haven't even seen in person in over a decade would do this for me.  This gives me the opportunity to think about things and put my priorities in order.  And, believe me, they've gotten horribly screwed-up lately.  I needed this... in more ways than one.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14216 on: November 07, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »
End of an Era: Blockbuster Calling It Quits; Closing All Remaining Stores by January 2014
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dish-network-close-blockbuster-stores-193325822.html

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14217 on: November 07, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »
On the one hand, I'm surprised they lasted this long.  On the other hand, not everybody can afford digital cable, an internet connection fast enough to stream/download movies, or even devices on which to do so.  For them, Blockbuster was really their last choice for watching movies "on demand."  I guess the digital divide is only going to widen, and they'll be left with no other choices now.  :(

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #14218 on: November 08, 2013, 12:14:20 AM »
On the one hand, I'm surprised they lasted this long.  On the other hand, not everybody can afford digital cable, an internet connection fast enough to stream/download movies, or even devices on which to do so.  For them, Blockbuster was really their last choice for watching movies "on demand."  I guess the digital divide is only going to widen, and they'll be left with no other choices now.  :(
Netflix still offers the mail-order DVD service, plus there are still services like Redbox.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14219 on: November 10, 2013, 11:32:38 PM »
If you happen to see a veteran on Monday, make sure to give a thank you.  We wouldn't be here with the freedoms we enjoy without them.  Happy Veteran's Day! :salute: