May 31, 2024, 09:14:17 PM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1314948 times)

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #12495 on: January 31, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »
We had all the Comcast analog channels....included Fox News, MSNBC, MTV, VH1...all of them.  Never really had a problem with it.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #12496 on: January 31, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
My thoughts on TV in schools is this.. no MSNBC, no FOX, TWC, CNBC, or anything. No TV at all! Focus on education.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12497 on: January 31, 2011, 06:33:58 PM »
My thoughts on TV in schools is this.. no MSNBC, no FOX, TWC, CNBC, or anything. No TV at all! Focus on education.
WHAT? Are you crazy? That makes sense and is reasonable. Who goes to public school to learn? :P Public schools are a joke in general. The goal is to make the dumbest kid pass and officials don't care how they get to that point. I've watched them pull all kinds of tricks in my school district. After all I was a minority in my school. :noexpression: The last thing schools need is more funding. They need some serious budget reform
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:36:58 PM by Martin »

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #12498 on: January 31, 2011, 10:51:19 PM »
NECN Failed badly  :rofl2:

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #12499 on: January 31, 2011, 11:19:40 PM »
Since when did Jim Cantore grow a full head of hair?  :lol:
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12500 on: January 31, 2011, 11:31:41 PM »
He got a nice face transplant

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #12501 on: January 31, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
Wow...he sure does look different. :blink: I had to look at the screen several times closely to make sure I was seeing him right.

:P

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #12502 on: February 01, 2011, 01:37:17 AM »
All we have on is ESPN in my school's College Center. It's perfect so I can watch College Football Live during my break. It's a lot better than watching those political-bitching channels, in my honest opinion.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline kpetree10

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 99910
  • SD Channel #: 15
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23277
« Reply #12503 on: February 01, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »
At my HS we had any channel you wanted but we never used it. The only time the TVs were ever on was if the teacher was watching it during his/her lunch break.

WHAT? Are you crazy? That makes sense and is reasonable. Who goes to public school to learn? :P Public schools are a joke in general. The goal is to make the dumbest kid pass and officials don't care how they get to that point. I've watched them pull all kinds of tricks in my school district. After all I was a minority in my school. :noexpression: The last thing schools need is more funding. They need some serious budget reform

I agree 100% with that statement. All they do is lower the standards so that the students who don't care to learn or try hard can still pass. It's all a load of BS in my mind.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #12504 on: February 01, 2011, 05:05:40 PM »
It's sad how much education seems to have degraded these days when I hear you all describe how high school is like now. :(  No wonder the best and highest-paying jobs in the United States are lately being taken by people from other countries.  We seriously need to bring education back to the forefront.

Offline Al

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • SD Channel #: 02
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22975
« Reply #12505 on: February 01, 2011, 05:16:39 PM »
so today has been a rather odd, yet fun day. earlier this morning the front passed and brought sever weather with it, it later transitioned over to sleet then snow. at 6, we (student body) got an email stating that classes will be in session, which slightly shocked me because just a few hours before they sent out an alert saying that traveling will put our lives at risk and they discouraged it...like really? lol anyway, I had an 8AM class and 30 minutes into the class, we all got a text message from our alerting service to inform us classes have been cancelled due to worsening road conditions. another professor came into our class to let our professor know that classes have been released.

we're considered a residential campus, and apparently it's really rare for residential campus' to close due to weather conditions.

i also called into work to tell them i will not be there today, reason being: i've never driven on icy/snowy roads and I don't intend on dieing today.  :P

now i'm just bored outta my mind, rumor has it that the ice isn't going anywhere and classes may be delayed or even cancelled again tomorrow...guess we'll see how this plays out.

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #12506 on: February 01, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
School wasn't canceled today*, but it will be tomorrow! :D It will be my first snow day! :dance:

*After-school activities were canceled, though.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #12507 on: February 01, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
It's sad how much education seems to have degraded these days when I hear you all describe how high school is like now. :(  No wonder the best and highest-paying jobs in the United States are lately being taken by people from other countries.  We seriously need to bring education back to the forefront.
I strongly agree with you, Patrick. It's a shame too these days, that teachers only care about their salaries. Another thing that makes me upset is that the classes often teach students "to the test". The purpose for us to attend school is to learn. Should what we learn during 4 years in high school be wasted on a 4 hour SAT or ACT exam? We should be learning for the sake of knowledge, not test-taking.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #12508 on: February 01, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
It's a shame too these days, that teachers only care about their salaries.
Nowhere did he say teachers only cared about their salaries. He said that our society is becoming loose that teachers from America are becoming less and less of a job opportunity.

. Another thing that makes me upset is that the classes often teach students "to the test". The purpose for us to attend school is to learn. Should what we learn during 4 years in high school be wasted on a 4 hour SAT or ACT exam? We should be learning for the sake of knowledge, not test-taking.
Tests are made for students so they can confirm that the content they teach is being sent out.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #12509 on: February 01, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
It's a shame too these days, that teachers only care about their salaries.
Nowhere did he say teachers only cared about their salaries. He said that our society is becoming loose that teachers from America are becoming less and less of a job opportunity.

. Another thing that makes me upset is that the classes often teach students "to the test". The purpose for us to attend school is to learn. Should what we learn during 4 years in high school be wasted on a 4 hour SAT or ACT exam? We should be learning for the sake of knowledge, not test-taking.
Tests are made for students so they can confirm that the content they teach is being sent out.
I know, I didn't mean to quote Patrick's post in that one. In regard to salaries,then why are there so many strikes going on these days? Just last year, the teachers in my school and another one in the area (public) both went on strike due to contract issues. Almost every week, I'm seeing news about a school strike on the local Philly stations. This is questioning me about the teachers' desire to teach in the first place. In regards to tests, I think you misinterpreted regular exams with SAT/ACT, but what would be the point if we dump all that information into them? SAT's/ACT's are not the whole world here, I got into 2 respected colleges in my area despite lackluster test scores. They're not an accurate measurement of one's success in school, just google up the number of "SAT-optional" schools that exist in this country today. I know several bright kids who have high GPA's and take a very rigorous courseload, but suffer from low standardized test scores. Do colleges really make you write an essay in 25 minutes? Most of the colleges here don't even look at the SAT essay, so I don't see the point in having one of them. My physics teacher himself does not advocate the SAT's because a 4 hour booklet doesn't necessarily serve as an accurate indicator of one's skills/intellectual reasoning.

I really don't want to cause a debate here but to make the point here that everyone else is making, schools and colleges alike do need to step up their standards both funding wise and teaching wise.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:23:29 PM by Localonthe8sHD »