June 07, 2024, 02:46:59 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789227 times)

G2003

Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #1530 on: July 25, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »
Hey, Daytime TV sucks! :P Comcast has over like 800 channels, and none of them have anything good on :P

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #1531 on: July 25, 2007, 10:38:36 AM »
Yeah, and to think, you pay $100 or more for that crap.  :D

G2003

« Reply #1532 on: July 25, 2007, 10:40:38 AM »
Yah, it really sucks. Our bill is usually $140-$160 a month  :ph34r:

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 25, 2007, 11:07:28 AM »
Yeah that's alot of money to spend when there's nothing on TV 90% of the time. :yes:

G2003

« Reply #1534 on: July 25, 2007, 11:08:14 AM »
Oh i forgot to mention that that includes High Speed Internet. I dont know what the individual cost is, but the internet costs
less if you have digital cable.

I could not live without the cable internet, or HBO and SHOtime :D

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 25, 2007, 11:10:43 AM »
Oh i forgot to mention that that includes High Speed Internet. I dont know what the individual cost is, but the internet costs
less if you have digital cable.

I could not live without the cable internet, or HBO and SHOtime :D

What comes on HBO and Showtime that's worth that kind of money?

I don't know what the rates are in your area, but here its $49.99 for the internet (that includes the discount for being a cable TV subscriber), roughly $75 for digital cable, and another $10-$20 for the DVR.

G2003

« Reply #1536 on: July 25, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »
let me look...

EDIT:

Digital cable w/ HBO + SHOtime = $88.98

High Speed Internet w/ Customer discount = $42.95

Then we have a HD receiver box, a standard box, and a HD DVR box. so i dont know how much the boxes cost.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:19:09 AM by G2003 »

Concentric Eyewall

« Reply #1537 on: July 25, 2007, 11:18:33 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa, back up.  HBO and Showtime are worth the money, IMO.  They host a number of award winning television shows and movies.  The Sopranos, Curb your Enthusiam, Bill Maher, etc. etc.  Actually, I think the premium channels like that can be added on a-la-carte for much less, if I'm not mistaken :unsure:

HBO, woo!!! :)

G2003

« Reply #1538 on: July 25, 2007, 11:19:57 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa, back up.  HBO and Showtime are worth the money, IMO.  They host a number of award winning television shows and movies.  The Sopranos, Curb your Enthusiam, Bill Maher, etc. etc.

HBO, woo!!! :)

BIll Maher! I love that guy!!! (well, not literally of course!) Yeah, i think HBO and SHOtime are great. they have lots of good movies.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 25, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Pfffttt. Do you guys know how much those cost? There is absolutley no justification for spending that kind of money. Mot of the movies on those channels (and all of the premium channels) suck. Whenever we get a free preview of any of them, I'm reminded of how much they suck by the fact that I don't watch them AT ALL during the entire free preview. Sorry,if I want to watch something like the Soprano's (now defunct BTW) or Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc., I'll just go out to the store and buy a season or two on DVD. It'll pay for itself relatively quickly. For a one time cost of around $60 I can get a season of each show and watch it whenever I want. For the same cost, I can get 3 or four months worth of HBO and Showtime. Heh, no comparison at all. Oh, and have I mentioned that the movies usually suck?

And no, the premium channels aren't available a la carte.

Concentric Eyewall

« Reply #1540 on: July 25, 2007, 11:44:20 AM »
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/whats_on_dish/movies/index.shtml

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/secondaryIndex.jsp?assetId=900020

True, on cable they aren't, but on satellite they are a la carte.   :yes:

They are many oscar-winning movies that air on the networks, but as you put it, they "suck" :huh:  I guess you can tell the millions of subscribers that.

Sopranos defunct?  That was one of the most creatively written television shows in television history!  But, no, if it doesn't pass the Gary test, then it isn't worth your money :rolleyes:

It is worth the cost, because with the money you pay, you get a COLLECTION of movies, not just one movie set.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 25, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
90% of that collection of movies suck. True, an occasisonal good movie does come on, but not enough to justify the sky high cost.

Dan, for the record, I don't give a flying **** what awards a movie has won. Awards don't make a movie good. What makes a movie good is my own personal opinion of it. If I like to watch it, its good, regardless of whether its won an award or not. In fact, many of the movies I like have no awards at all. So if you purchased those channels to see award winning movies, that's naieve. An award doesn't mean you'll actually find the movie enjoyable. It means the academy did. Also, most of the movies on those channels I've seen over and over again. One thing those channels severely lack is variety. It seems like the same movies are coming on time, after time, after time. I swear, when I had HBO a few years ago, it seemed like some movies came on five times each day.

And yes, Sopranos is defunct Dan. Defunct (in this case) means no longer in production. You can watch HBO till you die, but you'll never see another new episode of Soprano's. And I believe the same holds true for Curb.

If I want a collection of mostly terrible movies, played time after time, or want to watch repeats of shows, I'll just buy the movies or shows themselves once instead of paying a monthly, never-ending fee to see them repeatedly. Or, I can see award winning movies on such channels as TNT, TBS, TCM, occassionally on the four local channels, ABC Family, you get the idea. There are no shortage of other options for watching good, award winning movies.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:28:42 PM by lfmusiclover »

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: July 25, 2007, 12:36:03 PM »
Since it isn't clear to Gil, I want to make it clear. I am NOT trying to push my opinion as the only one, or to say that your opinions don't count. For some reason you guys think you can present your opinions without a counter opinion. How childish is it to believe that everyone is always going to agree with you?

G2003

« Reply #1543 on: July 25, 2007, 12:37:56 PM »
Yes, but it seems whenever you do give your oppinion, you are trying to push it on everyone else, where I simply stated my oppinion.
Even if your not trying to do that, it sure seems that way.  :-\

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: July 25, 2007, 12:42:37 PM »
I am not trying to do that. If it seems that way, its because your making it that way. You and Dan both do this anytime someone disagrees with you two. I mean, you both raise absolute hell. Dan even left the last time we disagreed over something because he didn't take the time to understand it before he raised hell. You both need to realize that opinions are just that, opinions. Its not about right or wrong (this seems to be a big sticking point for you guys too). You guys need to learn how to accept other opinions instead of lashing out when someone happens to have one that doesn't coincide with yours.