June 07, 2024, 02:44:25 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789221 times)

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #5865 on: June 05, 2008, 12:12:44 AM »
We had some bad storms roll through here around 3Pm ET. About 4PM ET I lost power, and on my trusty police scanner (which, conveniently enough also receives NOAA) I heard reports of tornadoes spotted by trained weather spotters.

Also interesting is that for the first time EVER the EAS was activated several times during the course of the evening, once interrupting the local news just before power went out (the other two times were on the radio).

Scary moments for sure.  :ninja:
Maryland, D.C., and Northern Virginia got pounded twice today. Once in the afternoon, then again in the mid evening. Both events featured major bow echos, which spawned a few tornadoes.
Its been a very long time since I saw a bow echo like the one I saw with the storm that came through at 3PM. I was very close to taking myself and my younger brother (we were the only ones at home) down to the basement. It was that intense. And like I said in the last post, I've never been through a storm that produced as many EAS alerts as tonights did. I just got a look at some tornado info, and 4 tornadoes are confirmed, all in southern MD and Northern VA.

Offline Concentric Eyewall

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #5866 on: June 05, 2008, 12:33:15 AM »
Wow, Gary!  THOSE are the storms everyone on this board lives for :yes:

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: June 05, 2008, 12:38:06 AM »
Oh I live for them too, no doubt. But it was getting to the point where it wasn't fun any longer. I like being outside in thunderstorms, but once tornadoes get involved, its safety before anything else (especially when you have a 10 y.o. lil bro to think of).

I just realized I coulda got my camcorder out and taped the action. Little too late to think of that now.  :rofl2:

Offline Concentric Eyewall

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #5868 on: June 05, 2008, 12:55:40 AM »
Oh, it's one of those storms, eh?  I had ONE of those my entire life :ninja:

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: June 05, 2008, 12:59:32 AM »
Yeah I think this is only the second time in my life that I've experienced a storm of this magnitude. The only other time I can think of is back in 1992, when we had an actual tornado about 100 feet from our house.  :ninja:

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #5870 on: June 05, 2008, 01:51:38 AM »
I am looking to get OUT of fast food.  I can't stand it anymore.  I'm going job hunting tomorrow.  I will probably apply at Farm and Fleet (a store with tires, pet food, and outdoor supplies), Wal Mart, or Panera Bread (a coffe-like shop).  I NEED to get out of the place I'm at now, or i will have NO summer, what-so-ever, and I will hate it.

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: June 05, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
Oh, it's one of those storms, eh?  I had ONE of those my entire life :ninja:
So have I. At night. Which makes the scare factor 100x higher.

I still have the text from the Tornado warning. I think it's the only one on record to affect my immediate area.

I am looking to get OUT of fast food.  I can't stand it anymore.  I'm going job hunting tomorrow.  I will probably apply at Farm and Fleet (a store with tires, pet food, and outdoor supplies), Wal Mart, or Panera Bread (a coffe-like shop).  I NEED to get out of the place I'm at now, or i will have NO summer, what-so-ever, and I will hate it.
LOL. My mom lives for Farm & Fleet. Every summer she makes a special trip to go there (closest one is like an hour away) and goes nuts. I guess she's a redneck. :P My brother has a job at a local pizza place (the free food is delicious) and is getting another at Panera Bread. :yes: Good luck to your job hunting. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 08:49:38 AM by Gil »
~TWC forum member since 2005~
"It is hard to do positive things with ignorance and delusion."

Offline Al

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • SD Channel #: 02
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22975
« Reply #5872 on: June 05, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »

OMG, you guys have panera out there too? I thought it was only in san antonio...i plan on applying there too :)

my job hunt will probably begin today as well.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: June 05, 2008, 12:30:03 PM »

OMG, you guys have panera out there too? I thought it was only in san antonio...i plan on applying there too :)

We have Panera here in MD too.  :P

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #5874 on: June 05, 2008, 01:22:40 PM »

We have Panera here in MD too.  :P
...and here in PA... :yes:

:P
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: June 05, 2008, 02:30:06 PM »
lmao guys it's always been a national chain.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: June 05, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »
Panera Breads were only popular here within the last five or so years. They are building a new one not far from my house in PA. I went to a Panera once back in 2004, and they were pretty good but they seem to sell out of stuff pretty quickly.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: June 05, 2008, 04:33:02 PM »
I've never been a big fan of Panera. Soup and sandwiches just don't do it for me. If I'm gonna spend money on food its gonna be on food that fills me.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #5878 on: June 05, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »
I've heard of Panera but i heard they're sandwiches are full satruated and trans fats.

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: June 05, 2008, 04:56:07 PM »
I've heard of Panera but i heard they're sandwiches are full satruated and trans fats.
What isn't these days? Heck, Bagels are filled with those these days. :rolleyes:

As for sandwiches, I always get Jimmy John's. THey are big, delicious, and very filling. :yes: