June 06, 2024, 02:50:25 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1788034 times)

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #13185 on: May 28, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
Enjoy this last year at home, Robert! That's what I miss the most since going to college.

I was wondering if any of you guys have had this problem--well, unfortunately, my front porch (ha ha, get it?) has been taken over by wasps. And to make matters worse, they are trying to build a nest in my outdoor ceiling fan. Even with the fan on, those little buggers ride the blades like a rollercoaster and just crawl inside it where the motor is. What the heck? Now I can't enjoy sitting on my balcony in the evenings because there is a wasp attack right above my chair. I've considered spraying the inside of my fan, but it sounds like a shock hazard when I say that. Any advice?

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13186 on: May 28, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »
My choice....well, my parents brought it up and I agreed. It is a Christian school.
What was wrong with the school you were at before?

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #13187 on: May 28, 2011, 04:43:37 PM »
From Portal 2....
Portal 2 - Smooth Jazz [Full, non-preview version]

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13188 on: May 28, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I was wondering if any of you guys have had this problem--well, unfortunately, my front porch (ha ha, get it?) has been taken over by wasps. And to make matters worse, they are trying to build a nest in my outdoor ceiling fan. Even with the fan on, those little buggers ride the blades like a rollercoaster and just crawl inside it where the motor is. What the heck? Now I can't enjoy sitting on my balcony in the evenings because there is a wasp attack right above my chair. I've considered spraying the inside of my fan, but it sounds like a shock hazard when I say that. Any advice?
You're going to need some spray regardless of the fan.  You could always turn the power off to it before spraying it, and you might need some help to prevent being stung by the wasps.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13189 on: May 29, 2011, 10:48:02 AM »
Hey, thanks for the advice! I also called my grandfather, and he said the same thing. I will try to handle it this evening when they aren't as active.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13190 on: May 30, 2011, 01:27:34 PM »
Happy Memorial Day, everyone!  Hope you're all enjoying the "unofficial start to summer" as most people call this time, and the atmosphere is sure acting like it.  Anyone need a fan and a swing for the Porch? :P

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13191 on: May 30, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »

Christina, if you can find anything that helps with this problem, please let me know. :) My back porch has been taken over by wasps. We used to have a ceiling fan, and they would always build their nests in there. But now since the fan is gone, the wasps seem to be crawling up under the gutters and building a nest in the attic. According to the Terminix guy, the wasps we have are called "mud-daubers" and won't sting you unless you pose a serious threat to them. But I still don't like any wasps on my back porch.

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #13192 on: May 30, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
Happy Memorial Day, everyone!  Hope you're all enjoying the "unofficial start to summer" as most people call this time, and the atmosphere is sure acting like it.  Anyone need a fan and a swing for the Porch? :P

I definitely need a fan. It is hot out! The high for today is 91.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #13193 on: May 30, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
It's gonna be anywhere between 97 - 99 degrees Wednesday. YIKES!! :blink: This is outrageously hot weather to start off the first of June. I won't be going outside much this week. :no: I'm staying in my A/C house.  :yes:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #13194 on: May 30, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »
hopefully everyone here had a superb Memorial day weekend! B)
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #13195 on: May 30, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »
I managed to escape EC's hot, howling windy weather today. So my Memorial Day was all about getting back home.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13196 on: May 31, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »
I've had two record highs in a row with 90 yesterday and 92 today! :blink:  I'm not sure if this is a sign of things to come for this summer across the country or not.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13197 on: June 01, 2011, 06:32:00 AM »
I've had two record highs in a row with 90 yesterday and 92 today! :blink:  I'm not sure if this is a sign of things to come for this summer across the country or not.
We had been under an excessive heat warning since yesterday... which I don't know why... the heat indicies are only supposed to be in the low-mid 90's which barely meets heat advisory criteria. Nonetheless, I think this is the earliest time of the year I remember being under such warning. :blink:

I tend to think my NWS office "abuses" the excessive heat warnings...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:34:41 AM by Mike M »

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13198 on: June 01, 2011, 09:26:11 AM »
Christina, if you can find anything that helps with this problem, please let me know. :) My back porch has been taken over by wasps. We used to have a ceiling fan, and they would always build their nests in there. But now since the fan is gone, the wasps seem to be crawling up under the gutters and building a nest in the attic. According to the Terminix guy, the wasps we have are called "mud-daubers" and won't sting you unless you pose a serious threat to them. But I still don't like any wasps on my back porch.

Actually, the spray has been pretty effective. I've been sweeping out the dead wasps on the ground, so they are dying when they go inside my fan. I hate using pesticides like that, but I couldn't let them live in balcony heaven. I also bought a thing called "the waspinator." It's a plastic wasp nest that discourages other wasps from building in areas like balconies and patios. It sounds bizarre, but it seems to be working at the moment.

It's been very awfully hot in Louisiana. It wouldn't be as bad if we had some rain around, though. I would welcome Jim to Louisiana to cover a tropical system because we need one to dump rain.

I agree that the criteria in Philly is pretty weak. I was surprised to hear heat was the number one weather killer, though.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:29:50 AM by twcfan68 »

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #13199 on: June 01, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »
I need to call an exterminator myself. I found two black widow spiders in my bathroom yesterday, and a few cockroaches in the laundry room. No fire ants though, compared to the bazillion of them I found in my EC room last weekend.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.