June 04, 2024, 08:23:35 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1786440 times)

phw115wvwx

Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14325 on: July 12, 2012, 11:24:03 PM »
Andy, it's a failing temperature and dewpoint sensor at that particular station.  I've seen that several times at other sites, and it wouldn't surprise me if the extreme heat has something to do with it.  Since it's an AWOS (cheaper and not as accurate as an ASOS, which the NWS does maintain), they can't do anything except call someone to notify the FAA about it unless the sensor magically fixes itself when it cools down tonight.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #14326 on: July 13, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »
*sigh* I miss the days when most of the observations were humanly operated...

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14327 on: July 13, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
*sigh* I miss the days when most of the observations were humanly operated...
Major airports have all the human observations today.  I do remember when things were like you said.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14328 on: July 13, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »
Wow, what the heck happened?! It's suddenly gotten quiet around here within the last 48 hours... :unsure:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #14329 on: July 13, 2012, 10:53:30 PM »
Wow, what the heck happened?! It's suddenly gotten quiet around here within the last 48 hours... :unsure:
I've noticed the same thing. :unsure:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14330 on: July 13, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »
I've noticed the same thing. :unsure:
I have a feeling my posts a couple days ago from my talk with Martin on how he felt things have been going are to blame.  There wasn't much I could do.  Either he or myself was going to express it.  We just wanted to see less negativity and general complaining along with making sure everyone knew how to report proper issues to us so that we're not overwhelmed.  To me, that's not a very huge request, but it apparently is to some people.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14331 on: July 13, 2012, 11:03:54 PM »
I agree. The forum has been completely dead today. Not one new post for hours at time. Hopefully this isn't permanent

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14332 on: July 13, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
Guys, I think we go through this too much.  There have always been just some days when not a lot of people are online, or when there is simply not much to say.  It's usually never permanent. :no:  I would only worry about the decline in activity if such quietness lasted for over a week.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14333 on: July 13, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »
Guys, I think we go through this too much.  There have always been just some days when not a lot of people are online, or when there is simply not much to say.  It's usually never permanent. :no:  I would only worry about the decline in activity if such quietness lasted for over a week.
Really?! I have never seen it this quiet ever in my whole time of being a TWC Today member! :blink:

This excludes the 5-day forum outage that happened in December 2009.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14334 on: July 13, 2012, 11:12:45 PM »
Well, I think I've jump-started activity for now. :P  In short, I just wanted to make sure people didn't take my posts so harshly as I was only trying to communicate a serious message and simply asked for cooperation.  As long as we try to make things positive even if TWC isn't having the best of times, then Martin and I will be happy with it.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14335 on: July 13, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »
Really?! I have never seen it this quiet ever in my whole time of being a TWC Today member! :blink:

This excludes the 5-day forum outage that happened in December 2009.

There was a stretch last year that lasted three days if I remember somewhat, but yeah, it has been quiet.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Stephen

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #14336 on: July 13, 2012, 11:17:44 PM »
BTW guys, I don't know if any of you noticed, but we've recently reached 4000 topics on here.  :biggrin:

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #14337 on: July 14, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »
Here's Alexandra Steele (now at CNN for any of you that don't know) explaining what a derecho is!  :biggrin:

Meteorologist explains what a derecho is

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #14338 on: July 14, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »
He wants to see far less complaining about it from here on out, or he's going to take a lot more action in the near future.

This statement worries me.  Does it mean that "fans" aren't allowed to have complaints about the current direction of the network?  Or, let me phrase it another way... Are "fans" supposed to be those who support the network in its current incarnation without longing for a return to how it was pre-NBC?  I used to be a fan of The Weather Channel, but I'm sure as heck not a fan now that it's turned into an entertainment network.

You are no longer a fan of the current network if you no longer have anything positive to contribute towards it. Sorry but thats simply how I see it. If you no longer like something you can't call yourself a fan of it. This forum was established to find like minded people who enjoyed various aspects of The Weather Channel... not to complain about how its not being run to your satisfaction. Some of you dislike the programming, OCMs, music, local forecasts (or lack thereof), etc. What do you actually like then? This board has a close community that likes to interact about personal and off topic issues. While thats fine it can't be the main reason the forum exists. If there are no longer any fans of The Weather Channel then this forum serves no purpose and should cease to continue operation or at least become archive only. You all should try to look on the bright side of the changes since there is little you can do to turn back the clock.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14339 on: July 14, 2012, 07:30:02 PM »
Here's Alexandra Steele (now at CNN for any of you that don't know) explaining what a derecho is!  :biggrin:

Meteorologist explains what a derecho is

She must be still at freelancing status with them because a few months ago I didn't see her name listed on their website and I still don't today. :no: (Just pull down the weather tab)
http://edition.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/quest.richard.html

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA