April 28, 2024, 06:46:28 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1770689 times)

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14250 on: June 30, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
That was pretty much the scene for Hurricane Elvis back in 2003 in Memphis. Roofs ripped off, power poles snapped and dangling, etc. See my post in the Severe Wx thread for more info.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14251 on: June 30, 2012, 12:43:26 PM »
I assume most of you can see through internet scams, but just a heads up that a variation of the Nigerian Prince scam is now going around. This is just a portion of a letter I got in my inbox. Ironically, this guy was stupid enough not to change continents.  :rofl2:

I've resigned myself to believing that anyone who actually falls for such a scam deserves what he gets.  Or, in this case, loses. :nono:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14252 on: June 30, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
That was pretty much the scene for Hurricane Elvis back in 2003 in Memphis. Roofs ripped off, power poles snapped and dangling, etc. See my post in the Severe Wx thread for more info.
hurricane elvis? Memphis? Lol sry couldn't be more fitting :'p but really we could get a repeat tonight

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14253 on: June 30, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
Yeah, lol. The Memphis TV stations started using that term, because it really wasn't a hurricane, just a derecho that packed winds of 100+ MPH.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14254 on: June 30, 2012, 06:15:12 PM »
I got my power back!!!!

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14255 on: June 30, 2012, 06:53:11 PM »
Wow, the NWS is really :censored: me off right now.  I am trying to go the local forecast pages, and all I get is this error message:

Array ( 0 => Could not connect to host server: mysqlread.md.nids.noaa.gov Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysqlread.md.nids.noaa.gov' (4) )

Frustrating. :angry:

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14256 on: June 30, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »
There looks to be a server error. No warnings are being shown on the big map right now either.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14257 on: June 30, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »
It's down for all local pages. Grand Forks is putting up an error message as well.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14258 on: June 30, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »
This is what happens whenever too many people try to access the NWS for local weather simultaneously.. it happens mostly in major weather situations. Right now there are both severe weather potentials up for the country and a major heatwave going on for 50%+ of the country. I would wait another 15-30 minutes before trying to access because when so many try to get onto a server that's down, it can push back the recovery time.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14259 on: July 01, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »
Just caught the Chicago radar go into "Clear Air" mode when there's obviously activity on the radar :huh:

First image is the latest composite (in "Clear Air" mode) and the latter image is the latest base image not in "Clear Air" mode.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #14260 on: July 01, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
Wow, the NWS is really :censored: me off right now.  I am trying to go the local forecast pages, and all I get is this error message:

Array ( 0 => Could not connect to host server: mysqlread.md.nids.noaa.gov Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysqlread.md.nids.noaa.gov' (4) )

Frustrating. :angry:

I hate it when webpages in an error state display information like that to the public. Just that database name could open it up as a target for hackers to get into the mainframe.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14261 on: July 01, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »
Ugh... NOAA and the NWS are having so many server problems right now. I can't even access the GOES project science satellite imagery.  :no:
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Stephen

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #14262 on: July 01, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
I hate it when webpages in an error state display information like that to the public. Just that database name could open it up as a target for hackers to get into the mainframe.
Not really. A database name alone isn't exactly a vital piece of information that a hacker could use. :no: I'm sure, also, as a governmental entity, that their site is pretty secure and safe from hackers. A hacker would need a lot more than just a database name to compromise the site.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14263 on: July 01, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
I don't knwo what you're talking about. I was on NWS's site numerous times after the storm and never once encountered a problem. Maybe it's a regional error?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14264 on: July 01, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
I don't knwo what you're talking about. I was on NWS's site numerous times after the storm and never once encountered a problem. Maybe it's a regional error?
Maybe because the posts from above were during the storms? ;)

Not really. A database name alone isn't exactly a vital piece of information that a hacker could use. :no: I'm sure, also, as a governmental entity, that their site is pretty secure and safe from hackers. A hacker would need a lot more than just a database name to compromise the site.
I agree with you, Stephen. For a government site, it would be difficult to compromise, and only bringing down the database would do less harm than gaining FTP access and adding malware.*

*This post isn't meant to endorse such action.