April 27, 2024, 08:12:43 AM

Author Topic: Swine Flu  (Read 23875 times)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Swine Flu
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 09:53:02 PM »
I think there has been a lot of hype over this. Wonder if this will get really bad... :thinking:

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 10:33:54 PM »
In my opinion, I think people are overreacting about this. It's just another strain of the flu. Many people have been hospitalized and killed by the regular influenza last year. But only time will tell if this turns out to be as serious as some people are expecting it to be.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:38:00 PM by twcfan68 »

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 10:41:55 PM »
I think there is some overreaction, but I do think some concern is warranted-but NOT panic. I think the government, thus far, is doing a fine job of handling this situation. They've made it clear thatwe should be concerned, but not panicked. And they've done a fine job in getting the ball rolling on getting medication to the states, and on issuing travel advisories and monitoring passengers arriving to the country.

I just heard on the news a little while ago that there are at least 2 severe cases of swine flu in our country at this point, and they suspected that those cases will likely turn deadly. So we may finally be seeing this flu beginning to really ratchet up.

Offline Rico

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 304
  • SD Channel #: 304
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2009, 10:53:35 PM »
I think there is some overreaction, but I do think some concern is warranted-but NOT panic. I think the government, thus far, is doing a fine job of handling this situation. They've made it clear thatwe should be concerned, but not panicked. And they've done a fine job in getting the ball rolling on getting medication to the states, and on issuing travel advisories and monitoring passengers arriving to the country.

I just heard on the news a little while ago that there are at least 2 severe cases of swine flu in our country at this point, and they suspected that those cases will likely turn deadly. So we may finally be seeing this flu beginning to really ratchet up.
The most cases where I am now, is over in Charlotte. They quarantined 5 people from a plane from Mexico City.         
When will you ever learn? -Judge Mathis

Join my TWCNow Page!!!
Child boo.

Few things are in place...

*My name is not Lamarr, or Lmarr. My name is Rico Jose Maldonado-Winchester. *If I am on thin ice, or on very thin ice, the ice should have broke by now. I am 275lbs and 6'6" tall. * I am here for keeping up appearances. I am not here for none of this bologna. Bologna is WeatherSCAN XL which is a conficker virus specially made to act as a weather e-instrument. Or one of them damn toolbars. They are a waste of time and baud. * Recurring posts that are pedant

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 12:23:07 AM »

I do agree the government has handled things well in this case.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 07:37:37 AM »

:yes: I completely agree. 

I just stated my opinion in "The Front Porch"

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 08:16:42 AM »
I just heard that a 2 year old child in Texas has died from Swine flu.  :o

You know, when you think about it the name Swine Flu is a bit misleading, as this flu has swine AND human AND bird components. It is not a true swine flu. Which is the major concern, as they've never seen a flu with components of 3 different flu types.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:18:27 AM by lfmusiclover »

Offline Rico

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 304
  • SD Channel #: 304
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 08:26:41 AM »
I just heard that a 2 year old child in Texas has died from Swine flu.  :o

You know, when you think about it the name Swine Flu is a bit misleading, as this flu has swine AND human AND bird components. It is not a true swine flu. Which is the major concern, as they've never seen a flu with components of 3 different flu types.
All it is to it... pigs are dirty, they have snot coming out their nose, and also, they are in the elements. The most wild pigs are in Mexico, while here in the states, they are domesticated, and vaccinated.
When will you ever learn? -Judge Mathis

Join my TWCNow Page!!!
Child boo.

Few things are in place...

*My name is not Lamarr, or Lmarr. My name is Rico Jose Maldonado-Winchester. *If I am on thin ice, or on very thin ice, the ice should have broke by now. I am 275lbs and 6'6" tall. * I am here for keeping up appearances. I am not here for none of this bologna. Bologna is WeatherSCAN XL which is a conficker virus specially made to act as a weather e-instrument. Or one of them damn toolbars. They are a waste of time and baud. * Recurring posts that are pedant

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 08:34:33 AM »
I think there has been a lot of hype over this. Wonder if this will get really bad... :thinking:
WAY too much hype in my opinion. They never worried about a Staf Infection (I am not sure how to spell it) and that has far more capabilities to wipe out an entire population. Anyway, I am getting very annoyed by this. Now, people are panicing here in the Capital City as a possible case has been reported in Livingston County (the next county over from Ingham County, which is where I live) and over by the lakeshore in Ottawa County just west of Grand Rapids.

Schools are also on high alert around here.
According to my school district's page:
Swine Flu Information

Swine influenza is a virus infection that can cause a wide range of symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue.  Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting.  Like seasonal flu, swine flu in humans can vary in severity from mild to severe. Please be advised that no case of swine flu has been identified in the school district.  To date, the illness rate in the district is normal to below normal.

In an effort to be pro-active regarding information about the Swine Flu, Haslett school officials attended a meeting at the Ingham County Health Department on April 27.  The Health Department has requested that we assist them in tracking the flu illness and help prevent the possible spread of such illness.  We will be reporting our absences to the ICHD, as requested, on a daily basis. 

We have also reminded our staff and students to continue the following personal hygiene practices:  cover mouths when coughing and sneezing, wash hands often, use gel sanitizers and stay home if you exhibit any of the symptoms. 

We are in touch daily with the ICHD and will update the information on our web site as new information becomes available.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 12:26:14 PM »
According to Imperial Valley Press, my local newspaper, Imperial County (including Duck Centro)'s swine flu impact is minor as of now. Schools still remain open.

http://www.ivpressonline.com/articles/2009/04/29/local_news/news01.txt
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 02:11:43 PM »
Well, one of the probable cases in Michigan has been confirmed.......  :blink:
From Lansing's NBC Station, WILX:
Michigan Confirms 1st Case of Swine Flu
LANSING - Officials with the State of Michigan Joint Information Center say a Livingston County woman does have swine flu. The Centers for Disease Control confirmed Michigan's first case of the swine flu Wednesday. No other cases have been confirmed at this time, although the state and the C.D.C. are testing samples from other patients described as "probable cases."

Livingston County health officials announced on Monday that the 34-year old Livingston County woman was a probable case. She had recently visited San Antonio Texas, where she had been in the vicinity of pigs at a petting farm.
Livingston County is the county right next to the one I live in, Ingham County
We are still waiting on another possible case in Ottawa county, along the lakeshore just west of Grand Rapids. There may be other cases as well, we are waiting to find out as test results take 24-48 hours to process.
TWC in...

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 02:14:34 PM »
It said she was at a petting zoo near pigs, is it really spreading from pigs to human that much?  In San Antonio, it very well could have spread human to human.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 02:17:22 PM »
It said she was at a petting zoo near pigs, is it really spreading from pigs to human that much?  In San Antonio, it very well could have spread human to human.
Well, it can obviously be spread from human to human OR pig to human. We have been hearing about a lot of cases of pig to human, but that does mean anything. It can happen either way.
TWC in...

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »
The thing is, we don't know just HOW this swine flu spreads, or how easily. We don't know that the woman actually got it from any of those pigs.  :no:

Offline Al

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • SD Channel #: 02
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22975
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »

san antonio has had no reporting of a case of swine flu...so i don't think you know what you're talking about.

now surrounding counties - well one has confirmed 3 cases, but not in san antonio.