March 28, 2024, 05:26:21 AM

Author Topic: Sports Thread  (Read 70187 times)

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Sports Thread
« Reply #300 on: January 18, 2015, 10:02:50 PM »
We now have our teams for Super Bowl XLIX, the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks. Both teams will play at University Of Phoenix Stadium (the Arizona Cardinals' stadium) in Glendale, Arizona on February 1st at 6:30PM EST. The game will be broadcast on NBC. Go Hawks!  :twothumbs: :dance:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #301 on: January 21, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »
My team's already gone, so I'm going to be a big Seahawks fan in this Super Bowl, especially in regards to some unusual strategies, to put it mildly, that were allegedly used by the Pats in that last game.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »
(Disclaimer: I know nothing about sports.)

I thought the Patriots cheated by using underinflated balls.  (That supposedly makes them easier to catch?)  If that's the case, why are they allowed to advance to the Super Bowl?

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2015, 02:33:59 PM »

I thought the Patriots cheated by using underinflated balls.  (That supposedly makes them easier to catch?)  If that's the case, why are they allowed to advance to the Super Bowl?

A former Tampa Bay Buc quarterback admitted doing the same in a super bowl cheating in sports will happen colts are just mad they couldn't use fake crowd noise to their advantage in their stadium Pats will hopefully win and other nfl teams cheat. So far NFL hasn't charged the pats of cheating do I stand by my team.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2015, 03:24:37 PM »
My team's already gone, so I'm going to be a big Seahawks fan in this Super Bowl, especially in regards to some unusual strategies, to put it mildly, that were allegedly used by the Pats in that last game.
I hate the Hawks and couldn't care less about the Patriots. So this will be yet another Super Bowl where I'm more interested in the food. :yawn:
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 22, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »

Because the NFL is a crappy organization that won't punish teams like it should.  If anything, I'm sure the Patriots will be charged a $10,000 fine or something, which basically equates to a penny in the world of football.

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #306 on: February 02, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »
The Patriots defeated the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIX, final score 28-24. I thought Seattle really was going to make it during those final moments of the game, but at around 20 seconds to go in the fourth quarter, the Pats' rookie CB Malcolm Butler intercepted the ball at the Hawks' 1-yard line.  :pinch:

Despite Seattle's loss, I'd say this was a pretty interesting game overall.  :yes: I was surprised the Hawks made it this far, but they worked real hard until the end. They had a terrific season, and I hope it goes down well again for them next year.
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #307 on: April 26, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »
Well, we are a few weeks into the 2015 MLB season, and here are the current leaders of the divisions:

AL East: Tie between the Red Sox, Yankees, and Rays

AL Central: Royals (my favorite team, the Tigers, are just one game back)

AL West: Astros

NL East: Mets

NL Central: Cardinals

NL West: Dodgers

Any predictions as to who will win the World Series this year? As of right now, the Vegas odds have the Tigers, Dodgers, and Nationals all tied for the top spot at 8:1 for winning the 2015 WS. The Tigers started very hot, with a formidable offense and strong pitching, despite losing Max Scherzer to the Nationals. However, they have cooled a bit in terms of hitting and pitching over the past several games, so hopefully they can regain control. The Nationals really are not performing all that well right now, mainly due to their poor defense, and are currently in 3rd place in the NL East with a 7-11 record. The Dodgers are in first place in the NL West division, and they have fairly good hitting and pitching, so I can definitely see them being a contender.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 12:04:21 PM by TWCmatthew »

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #308 on: May 02, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »
My Rangers are a miserable failure.  Only they could be ahead 5-0 and then let the A's score seven unanswered runs.  This is shameful.  :thumbdown:

I've heard quite a bit of noise about the Mariners getting the AL and the Nationals topping the NL, but I ultimately predict the Mariners will win the whole thing.

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #309 on: December 21, 2015, 01:06:25 PM »
My Seahawks are off to the playoffs for a fourth consecutive season!  :dance: After defeating the Cleveland Browns yesterday, Seattle clinched a berth in the Wild Card playoffs. Their record now stands at 9 and 5. Despite season-ending injuries to some key players (e.g. RB Marshawn Lynch, rookie RB Thomas Rawls and TE Jimmy Graham) the team still managed to pull through what seemed to be a tough season for them. Let's go Hawks!  B)
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #310 on: October 02, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
My Seattle Mariners came dangerously close to making it to the playoffs, but after a heart-piercing defeat by Oakland last night (score was 9 to 8 in the 10th inning) their postseason hopes quickly crumbled to dust. :(  But overall, I'd say this was probably a pretty great season for the M's :yes: despite it now being 15 years since the last time they made the playoffs. Oh well, there's always next season. :itsok:

Apologies for double-posting BTW.
TWCJim's STAR Database