March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 AM

Author Topic: NWS Bans Twitter (& Possibly Other Social Media...)  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
NWS Bans Twitter (& Possibly Other Social Media...)
« on: May 13, 2010, 05:06:35 PM »
So, upon coming back from class, I get news that the NWS bans twitter? It looks like the news is still unconfirmed, because googling only took me to this article that has been retweeted several times.

http://knowthenetwork.com/blog/2010/05/natl-weather-service-bans-social-media/

I'm not really liking the idea, to be honest. When some people are under a severe weather watch or warning, they need a faster way to get in the know. And Twitter makes it simpler (I sound like an ad here. >_>). There are times that they dont have the time to go to the actual NWS site and look at the advisories.

I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say about this.  as for now, I stand by my opinion.  :yes:

EDIT: Looks like they only banned "personal" accounts and "bots", and they're probably gonna work it out with an agreement. (scroll down for the confirmation.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:25:40 PM by Anistorm »
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

phw115wvwx

Re: NWS Bans Twitter (& Possibly Other Social Media...)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:00:27 PM »
The government doesn't want their employees to share government information through other methods of communication such as social media.  That policy has been in effect for years.  Since the NWS is under the Department of Commerce, it must comply with all government rules.  It would face huge liability issues if employees tweeted official weather information on their own accounts as someone could accidentally or intentionally spread faulty information and create unnecessary panic in the public, which could lead to lawsuits and other legal issues.

It's better that the NWS sets up a few regulated accounts to pass along information so that the public knows these are the only trusted and official sources among all social media accounts.  I really don't feel this issue is such a big deal, Ana.  There's already many other ways that the NWS sends out information to the public.  Personally, I prefer the weather radio for the fastest way to get information if you don't have time to look up the NWS websites.  It doesn't need an internet connection, and it alerts you when a warning is issued for your area.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:10:18 PM by phw115wvwx »

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:27:12 PM »
So, upon coming back from class, I get news that the NWS bans twitter? ... I'm not really liking the idea, to be honest. When some people are under a severe weather watch or warning, they need a faster way to get in the know. And Twitter makes it simpler (I sound like an ad here. >_>). There are times that they dont have the time to go to the actual NWS site and look at the advisories.
Ever heard of a TV? :P
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:50:02 PM »
Ever heard of a TV? :P

Television is so passé!  :bleh:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:30:15 AM »
Covering their butts when some employee makes a remark that leads to misinformation and then getting sued millions. Honestly the excuse that Twitter gets the information out better is lame at best imo. If you are using Twitter then you have the intelligence and capability of finding that information. Local news and other weather twitter accounts do a decent job.

NWS is still doing their Twitter storm report experiment which is a neat
http://www.weather.gov/stormreports/

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:29:11 PM »
They have to have SOME way to get to Twitter, as some (all, now?) offices allow Twitter to be used for weather reporting.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 05:17:35 PM »
They have to have SOME way to get to Twitter, as some (all, now?) offices allow Twitter to be used for weather reporting.

http://www.weather.gov/stormreports/ Its only experimental now. They aren't blocking them from actually looking at twitter but posting under their NWS positon