April 16, 2024, 01:00:32 PM

Author Topic: NBC Weather Plus Discussion  (Read 46937 times)

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: NBC Weather Plus Discussion
« Reply #240 on: June 05, 2009, 12:50:02 AM »
WeatherPlus is still around Dallas/Fort Worth. Just like a few other stations, it's now "NBC Plus" and it replaces the music with a live feed from NOAA Weather Radio station KEC-55 in Fort Worth.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #241 on: June 05, 2009, 02:24:48 AM »
Thats sad its even still in use

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2009, 06:57:06 AM »
Thats sad its even still in use

Mine is, it just doesn't have sound, I have to get around to putting up that short clip I recorded of it.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCDude

• Trammell Starks fan
  • We're taking action for you.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2009, 05:57:52 PM »
WRG-TV 5 Memphis, TN still has Weather Plus, but it is not as reliable since NBC discontinued that service. It only displays a national doppler radar feed as well the temperature. The only thing local that it displays in the doppler.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:01:26 PM by TWCDude »
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage of Mythbusters.

"Silence, I keel you!" -Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 27, 2011, 11:50:12 AM »
I know this thread is super old, but I noticed this morning that our old decommissioned NBC Weatherplus channel (which has been deadspace for the past 3 years  <_<) finally has been changed to an Accuweather channel.

Interestingly enough, it still is labeled as "NBC Weather" on the info bar when I turn it on this channel so I guess more changes will probably be coming soon. It's basically still the same as before except that they do forecast segments from Accuweather and our NBC affiliate and there is still no production tracks so it's still mute besides a narrator who comes up at an odd time to say "Here is your Accuweather Local Doppler Radar" when it's actually displaying our NBC affiliate's local radar. :huh:

Also I believe this change took place sometime over the past few days during the Christmas weekend because last week it was only showing a loop of a local radar from WXIA-TV.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
AccuWeather stations don't necessarily have to be exclusive to affiliates. As for the radar narration, that is inserted by the AccuWeather station itself during the presentation. As for the NBC Weather branding, I have seen stations (via Silicondust) that have had AccuWeather computers with the Weather Plus branding still attached to them. We lost our AccuWeather channel back in November on our ABC affiliate in favor for LWN (Live Well Network). :hmm:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Until earlier this year, the central Florida TV market had two weather digital substations: NBC Weather Plus and an independently-created one.  NBC Weather Plus outlasted the actual weather network, but was closed to make room for Me TV, leaving the independently-created weather channel as the only one here.

Boston had NBC Weather Plus, too, but that closed immediately when NBC Weather Plus went off the air, and was replaced by Retro Television Network.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #247 on: December 27, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
Too bad there hasn't been a push by NBC/TWC to replace these channels with WeatherScan. Pretty much a waste of an opportunity there. Who knows what they want to do with that product!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 27, 2011, 12:32:25 PM »
Too bad there hasn't been a push by NBC/TWC to replace these channels with WeatherScan. Pretty much a waste of an opportunity there. Who knows what they want to do with that product!

On our lineup, Weatherscan is the following channel ch 212, this Accuweather channel is 211. It bothers me more that this channel wasn't just scrapped all together a long time ago, like I said it was nothing but deadspace for 3 years and now all of a sudden they want to make it into an Accuweather channel? I can't view Weatherscan here since we only have Digital Starter and it's not apart of our package. I haven't seen Weatherscan in about 18 months now. :(

Here is a video of it for those who want to see how it's set up. I would have attached it, but I don't like the attach videos here that proceed 10mb.
Accuweather Channel
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 12:42:16 PM by Weatherlover »

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 27, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »
WRG-TV 5 Memphis, TN still has Weather Plus, but it is not as reliable since NBC discontinued that service. It only displays a national doppler radar feed as well the temperature. The only thing local that it displays in the doppler.

Since the thread is bumped now, I'd better chime in. First off, where are you getting this info? At the time, it was WMC-TV that had WeatherPlus, not WRG. :wacko: We don't even have a WRG. We do, however, have a WREG which is the local CBS affiliate. It was also much more sophisticated then what you were explaining. It was in pretty bad shape, but not as bad as you lead to believe. It showed temperatures and radar, as you stated, but also showed airport delays, radar/satellite, travel forecast, and a few other products. It also had a problem with the current conditions on the left side, as no icons were present, and never were to my knowledge.

In October 2011, WeatherPlus in Memphis was scheduled to be slated and replaced with BounceTV. A change of plans called for Comcast to move WGN to WeatherPlus' place. BounceTV was put on channel 906.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 27, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »

That's a great idea!  On the other hand, is it technically feasible?  It would require each individual broadcast station to have its own Intellistar for the purpose.