March 28, 2024, 06:16:58 AM

Author Topic: I haven't been online here in a bit more than a year- what all has changed?  (Read 14907 times)

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Have our members simply lost interest, moved on to other things or maybe a combination of both?
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline TechKitten

• Been waiting for years.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 61
  • SD WxStar ID #: 20897
  • WxScan Ch. #: 131
Have our members simply lost interest, moved on to other things or maybe a combination of both?

Either that or loosing the password. (In all seriousness, 2000s era password managers are hot garbage.)

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
Earlier this decade, 2010-2012, people were still coming here on a regular basis. Others no longer coming on here has made me not want to come on here, and I guess it's like a domino effect. I have a severe weather thread back from the spring of 2011 and it has multiple pages due to the unusually stormy (and tornadic) period from that year.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21805
Earlier this decade, 2010-2012, people were still coming here on a regular basis.

Earlier THIS YEAR people were posting here.

My old computer bit the dust back in June.  I couldn't find my password until about September, so I wasn't here for a few months.

Before I left, there were AT LEAST 10 posts per day.  When I got back, there were maybe 1 or 2.

WHERE DID EVERYBODY GO?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 08:33:35 PM by TWCC_DJK5555 »
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
Re: I haven't been online here in a bit more than a year- what all has changed?
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
I’ve thought about this recently, and I guess it’s just that most veteran members have moved on, as things with TWC just aren’t the same anymore (for some) or others just don’t have the time to look over the forums with life getting in the way. There’s also been a rise in instant messaging platforms like Skype, Telegram, Instagram, Discord, etc. I’m not trying to say that forms are now totally obsolete, but messaging platforms have really changed the way most fan groups and communities communicate nowadays.

I wish things could change, but with TWC changing to adapt to the modern age of weather information being easily available on the internet and other messaging platforms like Discord, I don’t think it would be easy to bring people back here.

It’s also pretty sad that the connection between TWC and this fanbase has been totally lost (mostly because there isn’t a fanbase anymore), and I wish there were a way to revive that connection. Again, this is merely wishful thinking and I’m not saying that we could change TWC if that were to happen, but I do think they’d listen better to us if somehow we could regain their attention.

I’ve thought of this place a lot as I started my experience with TWC here, and it’s sad to see it in this state. I miss this place.

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21805
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 08:19:35 PM »
I’m not trying to say that forms are now totally obsolete

Not yet anyway. 

I've seen several boards die off.  Forums like this one are going the way of the horse and buggy.
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline TechKitten

• Been waiting for years.
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 61
  • SD WxStar ID #: 20897
  • WxScan Ch. #: 131
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2019, 01:09:26 AM »
I’m not trying to say that forms are now totally obsolete

Not yet anyway. 

I've seen several boards die off.  Forums like this one are going the way of the horse and buggy.

It seems as if forums as a whole are dying off, especially with the advent of things like Reddit.