March 28, 2024, 12:30:12 PM

Author Topic: Charles Abel-Lear 1980-2019  (Read 23690 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Charles Abel-Lear 1980-2019
« on: November 09, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »
As some of you may have heard already, Charles Abel-Lear (The Weather Chazz) passed away this past Wednesday, November 6th at the young age of 39, according to multiple posts from family members and friends on social media. Little is known at this time regarding the cause of his death, but he will be missed by all of us, as he has been one of our biggest inspirations with his expansive footage, knowledge, and graphic design work. I would have never realized how big this community is if it weren't for him (as well as Matt, Nick, and friends) when I discovered TWC Classics back in 2005. Let's also remember his hard work into putting together the well-known WeatherStar 4000 Simulator project we all know today, as well as his subsequent work, in and out of the TWC fan community.

Sending condolences to his family...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:54:44 PM by Mike M »

Offline Jaden

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 2002
  • HD WxStar ID #: 037343
  • SD Channel #: 2
  • SD WxStar ID #: 37343
Re: Charles Abel-Lear 1980-2019
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »
Very unfortunate news to hear. Thoughts are with his family. I remember watching his videos on YouTube and how they inspired me to join the TWC community over 5 years ago.

Offline luesjo12

• Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 04:02:28 PM »
This is truly heartbreaking news. Charles left a huge impact on the TWC community and he sure did leave an impact on me as well. Although I did not know him personally, I really did look up to him and I wished that I could be as talented as he was. I am just shocked and saddened and wish I had time to tell him how he inspired the hobby that has become my graphic design career.

My condolences to his family, his friends and to everyone that was touched by his great legacy.

Offline TWCKelby

• Owner of the TWC Archive wiki
  • Owner of an IS1 and I2 or something
    • View Profile
    • TWC Archive - An Open TWC Wiki
  • Cable Provider: Blue Ridge Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 621
  • HD WxStar ID #: 11624
  • SD Channel #: 34
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23268
  • WxScan Ch. #: 218
  • WxScan ID #: 19874
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 04:04:27 PM »
So sad to hear about him, all of my condolences go out to his family. He will definitely be missed, I can say personally that his videos were a good chunk of my inspiration for getting into this community.

Offline Everblack

• STAR enthusiast, developer of the WSIII Simulator.
    • View Profile
    • The Everblack
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: 1337
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 04:09:31 PM »
It is truly sad to hear of his passing -- I never even had a chance to talk to him personally and it would have been a tremendous privilege to do so. I extend my sincerest condolences to his family and his friends, as it goes. May his legacy carry on in future generations to come.

He came a long way from doing this stuff as a hobby, then to turn it into a promising career in graphics, per his anniversary video. His attention to detail was incredible, and even when the product looked great, he still was involved in that pursuit of perfection, not afraid of improving. He also brought the past into the now, a stark contrast to our modern, fast-paced reality. Everything he did was masterful, and without losing sight of the weather going on around us.

In closing -- Chazz's passing will deprive us of his talent and positive spirit, as well as his passion about weather that we all share. His monumental contributions to this tight-knit community will never be lost on us.

Offline crazybangles

• Proud fan of TWC (2014-Present)
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21809
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
  • WxScan ID #: 20753
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 04:41:06 PM »
This is really sad! I never knew he had passed on. He had very many great things ahead of him. I wish the best to his family.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 08:12:28 PM »
Deeply saddened by this horrible loss...way too young.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 11:42:59 PM »
No way! :cry:

May he rest in peace, and may his legacy live on for many, many more years to come.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Nick

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Page
  • HD Channel #: 519
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28765
  • SD Channel #: 19
  • SD WxStar ID #: 25617
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 11:54:44 PM »
As I said on Taiganet, this is quite the shock to logon and read this. We chatted somewhat frequently on instant messenger from about 2004 until around 2009. He recommended me for the WS4000 Simulator project when he decided to step away. For various reasons we had lost touch since then. His professional and weather related contributions will be greatly missed.
My Classic Weather Channel on Youtube
www.youtube.com/user/hookecho80

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 01:32:12 AM »
So sad to hear of Chazz's passing! :( I never knew him personally, but I do know he has left his mark in the TWC fan community, and of course those WxSTAR 4000 emulations he did were always fun to watch.

Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P. Chazz.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »
I found out on Matt's facebook. It was and is such a shock! I am so sorry to hear this! :( :cry: He will be greatly missed. Prayers for his family.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21805
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »
I don't quite know what to say.

Knew Chazz for years on these boards.  A very nice person and an unbelievably talented artist.  His artwork on the 4000 emulator is magnificent.  He was a good friend to many of us.

Godspeed Charles. 
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline pjfrix

• IntelliStar Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »
Charles' videos were basically how I became interested in The Weather Channel and inspired me to make my own emulations in the first place. Hearing that he's no longer with us anymore really makes me sad. He contributed quite a lot of things to the community and created some outstanding & professional graphics.

I would feel like this community would've been a whole lot different without him and his work. Condolences to his family and everybody else. He will definitely not be forgotten...  :cry:

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21805
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 09:13:01 PM »
You know, it's one thing to lose a grandparent or even a parent.  But when we lose a friend (near our own age) it makes us look at things a little bit differently.  I came VERY close to it in 1996, and that experience changed me as a person.

We all like to think we're immortal and too young to die, but every now and then reality smacks us right in the face.  We've all lost two friends on this board (Martin and now Chazz), and I can't help but think that there may be a few others that we don't know about.

I forget how old Martin was, and Chazz was 38.  I lost a good friend at 25, a high school classmate at 16, and a sister at 2 DAYS old.

Thank you for being a friend, Charles.
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 11:21:05 PM »
You know, it's one thing to lose a grandparent or even a parent.  But when we lose a friend (near our own age) it makes us look at things a little bit differently.  I came VERY close to it in 1996, and that experience changed me as a person.

We all like to think we're immortal and too young to die, but every now and then reality smacks us right in the face.  We've all lost two friends on this board (Martin and now Chazz), and I can't help but think that there may be a few others that we don't know about.

I forget how old Martin was, and Chazz was 38.  I lost a good friend at 25, a high school classmate at 16, and a sister at 2 DAYS old.

Thank you for being a friend, Charles.
Well said! One of my facebook friends lost 2 friends his age (both 29), in less than 6 weeks. About 3 weeks ago, a person my sister works very closely with lost her daughter in an automobile accident (the day before her 21st birthday) It's not just elderly people who die. We should appreciate each day as they come. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 11:22:44 PM by Lightning »
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg